LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

Some of you may have noticed that several posts that were here have been moved to this thread: 2014 Base Stereo to 2014 Premium with color screen. I asked the mods to do that, since those posts were about transplanting one of the PE6xxU1 (4.3" display) HUs into a car that originally had a non-display HU.

Let's keep this thread just about rear cameras (in 2012-2014 Legacy/Liberty/Outback cars that have a 4.3" display HU -- either factory-installed or a HU that has been successfully retrofitted). Please use that other thread to discuss transplanting (or start a new thread, if your topic/question warrants). I'll be happy to answer transplant questions there (as time permits). Thanks.

Edited by SVXdc

BTW, Samets sold me a PE627U1 he had bought (thanks!), and I spent some time trying to figure out the key sequence to access the dealer service menus. No luck so far.

Probably going to have to get Panasonic's service manual somehow, unless we can find a Subaru dealer who knows the secret (or unless Subaru publishes a service bulletin with corrections to their shop manuals).

UPDATE: I documented the procedure here (post #186 in this same thread). Also see my post #187.

Edited by SVXdc

The procedure to get to the setup menu is described the same in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 service manuals, and doesn't seem to work on my car (I had found a procedure for Panasonic head units that worked - I can't find it though... when I got into the service menu, everything looked correct, except the camera features thing wasn't there.)

Can you dig up the procedure you found that works?

Or if not, what do you remember about it? Did it only involve pressing buttons? Did you have to press or turn either of the knobs? Did you have to press multiple buttons simultaneously (how many? 2? 3? more? -- did it require both hands?). If you had to hold some buttons, how long?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2010 premium model 3.6R and I was looking to do this add on as well. I wanted to know if anybody has the same setup as me and has been successful at adding a rear view camera. Ideally id like to use factory harnesses and make it a clean install but I'm not afraid of doing some wiring. My setup is as follows:

- PE645U1 (Standard Radio)

- Cloth Seats

- Blue connect (no Steering Wheel Controls)

I know that I need a 4.3" screen but before I go searching for one, I wanted to know if anybody with a similar model as mine have verified if their car is pre-wired. I could of avoided all of this and just bought a limited model with Nav. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, only the 2012 models are pre-wired all the way to the trunk. With a 2010, you will have to make your own harness and run the wires under the carpet.

But in theory I should be able to get the factory harness connections if that is the case? I would hope it is prewired as the Nav option was available and that I have a premium model. Well, only way to find out is to start taking it apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OEM 4.3" Panasonic units need the factory microphone in the map lights assembly and working steering wheel controls. Plus the USB connector in the armrest.

It might be cheaper to consider a decent aftermarket HU.

OEM 4.3" Panasonic units need the factory microphone in the map lights assembly and working steering wheel controls. Plus the USB connector in the armrest.

It might be cheaper to consider a decent aftermarket HU.

I thought that only the limited models had the USB in the armrest but my car has it with the aux cable connection. I thought that was weird since I don't have a Harmon Kardon system and no bluetooth steering wheel control. I was seriously considering doing an aftermarket navigation, maybe even the OEM style radio, but I wanted to ideally have a factory camera with the factory wiring connected to either a factory radio but more than likely an in dash navigation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But in theory I should be able to get the factory harness connections if that is the case? I would hope it is prewired as the Nav option was available and that I have a premium model.

Your car is not pre-wired. And the necessary factory wiring for a camera won't be available as repair parts from Subaru, because that is integrated into a much more expansive "tree" of wiring for many other systems in the car. Did you not see this post from earlier in this thread?

Tip: If a car is not 100% pre-wired for a factory camera, go with an aftermarket camera. You'll avoid headaches and come out much cheaper. Many cameras out there look "stock".

To answer your original question, yes, retrofitting one of the OEM 4.3" display HUs in place of your OEM PE645U1 HU is technically possible, but you would need a shopping list full of OEM parts to have everything work. Please continue any further discussion about transplants in this thread: 2014 Base Stereo to 2014 Premium with color screen.

I thought that only the limited models had the USB in the armrest but my car has it with the aux cable connection. I thought that was weird since I don't have a Harmon Kardon system and no bluetooth steering wheel control. I was seriously considering doing an aftermarket navigation, maybe even the OEM style radio, but I wanted to ideally have a factory camera with the factory wiring connected to either a factory radio but more than likely an in dash navigation.

That means your 2010 has Subaru's "Media Hub" (USB) accessory device. That was the only way you got USB in any of the 2010-2011 models without navigation.

When you switch to an aftermarket head unit, you can retain that USB socket (without the interface module). See this page.

Back to camera discussion...

81811AJ05A (MSRP $78.47) is the alternate OEM trunk harness (for sedans) that includes the connector for the OEM camera. Picture:

B14_81501075.png.34d50b0e9d6d7be785b19a04ed77b1c2.png

Models which use that harness:

Subaru Legacy 2.5L CVT 4WD 25I-L EYESIGHT SEDAN                     2013, 2014
Subaru Legacy 2.5L CVT 4WD 25I-L SEDAN            2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Subaru Legacy 2.5L CVT 4WD 25I-P EYESIGHT SEDAN                           2014
Subaru Legacy 2.5L CVT 4WD 25I-P SEDAN                                    2014
Subaru Legacy 2.5L CVT 4WD 25I-S SEDAN                                    2014
Subaru Legacy 2.5L TURBO 6MT 4WD 25GT-L SEDAN     2010, 2011, 2012
Subaru Legacy 3.6L 5AT 4WD 36R-L EYESIGHT SEDAN                     2013, 2014
Subaru Legacy 3.6L 5AT 4WD 36R-L SEDAN            2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Subaru Legacy 3.6L 5AT 4WD 36R-P SEDAN                                    2014

(the 2010-2013s must be cars with OEM navigation, since those are the only cars that had a rear camera and a video-capable screen on the HU)

To those of you with 2012 models that have the OEM camera wiring from the HU to the trunk or tailgate: Has anyone actually tried swapping in that alternate OEM trunk harness? How much work does that take? (think about all the disassembly of the trunk lid and all of its lights). Will you also need alternate trim piece(s) on the trunk where the OEM camera mounts?

Edited by SVXdc

Has anyone actually tried swapping in that alternate OEM trunk harness? How much work does that take? (think about all the disassembly of the trunk lid and all of its lights). Will you also need alternate trim piece(s) on the trunk where the OEM camera mounts?
I have contemplated it, just to avoid having splices at the connector in the trunk. The only part I believe is different with and without the camera (in addition to the harness) is the trunk itself - if you have a camera, there is a square hole cut in it where the camera passes through - that hole isn't there in the cars without a camera, so you either have to figure out a way to run the wires out of the trunk (easy as there is a clip you can remove from the trim over the license plate and use that hole, keeping the remaining 4 bolts and studs to hold it in place) or cut a hole in the trunk panel (hard if you want to use the oem camera, as you need it to be square with the camera)

edit - here are a couple of pics - one looking at the inside of the trunk (under the trim panel) and the other looking at the outside of the trunk (under the trim that goes over the license plate)

Capture.JPG.d8b3530dd6e4ae7d624815d05b8ed5d4.JPG

Capture1.JPG.94f4804c699a55594fde2d7c8f2f9a57.JPG

Edited by DrD123

• 4 weeks later...

David, here are some pics with measurements of the pins in the trunk connector. They were a snap to release and pull out.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/50f49fa8e2d0c96b025fcbc92f6c3e3d.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/c496a0d401aeca0edbe66cf87014b359.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/59beca2e3ee1a6777a6687d6d983bab9.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/8989cbbd8548a3aeaa00537c95f39302.jpg

David, here are some pics with measurements of the pins in the trunk connector. They were a snap to release and pull out.

Thanks! Looks like a match for the pictures of these that I found. I've ordered some from a vendor in Japan so we'll see if they work.

When you have a chance, I'd be interested to see close-ups like that of each unique side of the R60 plug (without the ruler or fingers).

Here is the trunk lid harness connector.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/97ac9d6273f01ea2290294951f480e21.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/80f744b1788440975b78e9f591b74b33.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/21a55a769adfc469435a72854b77f398.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/992e633a79115d3bf609fc3b476fabb8.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/aa3c00f745351075197d6021895fd395.jpg

And the body side harness connector.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/05/1ffb3880153873814e120ed5071641f4.jpg

I just mailed some wires with terminals to GTEASER that I think will fit his car's R60 plug and allow him to connect an aftermarket camera back there. Will post details after he tries them out.

I also updated my post #62 with the information people have posted. Please check to make sure I got everything correct, let me know what's wrong or missing. Anyone else who hasn't sent their info, please do.

There's now a mystery of how some sedans can have the factory camera wires at the trunk harness but not at the HU harness. The wiring diagrams don't show any intermediate junction where they could stop, but there must be -- the wires wouldn't just dead-end somewhere mid way.

Edited by SVXdc

In the cars where they appear to only go part way maybe the wires are folded over and taped off near the stereo?

If these pins work, any chance you can make a harness to connect a Rydeen camera to the connecter in the trunk?

Hi all,

I've been browsing to see if I can add an OEM cam to my 2014 Outback 2.5 Premium with the PE669U1 stereo. I got as far as uncovering the passenger footwell trim and the interior part of the hatch, but I don't understand most of the stuff I'm seeing. Here are the pictures I took. I'm guessing these pics show that my car is not prewired for an easy hookup, but can someone confirm?

Thanks!

WP_20141226_012.thumb.jpg.5c00e4b5b1334426705184efe74a5ff8.jpg

WP_20141226_011.thumb.jpg.245c308c6df7c87614e6600cfef34fac.jpg

WP_20141226_006.thumb.jpg.4cc533e3393ae213703455d7055e92d8.jpg

Not seeing the connector you need to be looking for in your pictures - you want to look at two connectors - the one for the liftgate harness (should be under the headliner near where you see the feedthrough in your last picture) and the one on the back of the stereo (same as shown earlier in this thread for the Legacy)

As for using the OEM camera, there is different liftgate and electrical harness for when you have the camera vs. when you do not - on the Legacy, the difference is if there is a hole cut for the camera or not - I don't know how the Outback camera is held in place, so I don't know how much modification needs to be done. Suggest posting over at www.subaruoutback.org as someone over there might have already gone down this road.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that means it's not in your instrument panel harness - if you check connector I154 in the figure below (well, actually the mating connector that goes to the rear harness) the wires should be there going back to the trunk (since you have them in the trunk) - if they are also there on I154, then they are in the instrument panel harness, but taped off or something somewhere in the harness. Either way, you wouldn't need to run the wires all the way back.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d0f54f4a620ecee90c9011c83000d29c.JPG

Capture1.thumb.JPG.adaa04c210dd0d75675ceaac8031e919.JPG

There's now a mystery of how some sedans can have the factory camera wires at the trunk harness but not at the HU harness. The wiring diagrams don't show any intermediate junction where they could stop, but there must be -- the wires wouldn't just dead-end somewhere mid way.

My logic was backwards. The segment from i146 (HU's 28-pin) to i154 (intermediate junction somewhere around the passenger kickpanel) is a separate run, and could be missing, as GTEASER just confirmed. [Dude! I thought you had confirmed your 28-pin harness did have the factory wires before now! :icon_frow]

What should not be possible is to see factory camera wires at i146 (HU) and at harness R24 (trunk) and those wires not be connected between.

That logic doesn't apply on an Outback. Those have an additional segment which could be missing (R332 to R346).

But the bottom line is that you need to look at both ends and check continuity before assuming that factory wires connect end-to-end.

Any idea where the 154 connector is located? Not looking forward to tearing the interior out to find it. ;)

It's in the passenger footwell, behind the kickpanel. It's the same harness that has the reverse gear wire that people can tap into (for installing an aftermarket HU in a car that doesn't have that signal on any of the OEM radio harnesses).

Be careful with that -- it has most of the rear lights/turn signals, trunk/hatch release, rear wiper (wagons), and even the right rear wheel speed sensor.

I'd say rather than messing with that (and trying to find the proper terminals to fit that connector), it's better to cut your losses and just run an aftermarket camera's cable all the way to the HU.

You can offer that RCA cable and power wire I supplied to someone like Hepy117 or DrD123, and I'll make an alternate set for you that fits your car's 28-pin plug.

(those pins on my cables did fit your R60, right?)