LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

GS IC is a little much... I'd assume to have to go back to stock for that part. I understand you had to wrestle it on but still. That's a huge difference than stock.

Good deal need bb. Your tech either didn't know or didn't care.

Don't worry so much, new CA smog rules have softened up. All cars with year 2000+ are now only required OBD2 plug-in port to collect any CEL to pass plus visual inspection. Sniffer test only 99 and below. They only visually look at cat and aftermarket intake.

SupraLegacy, I bet you'd passed easily. Anyway, let us know your results.

Don't worry so much, new CA smog rules have softened up. All cars with year 2000+ are now only required OBD2 plug-in port to collect any CEL to pass plus visual inspection. Sniffer test only 99 and below. They only visually look at cat and aftermarket intake.

SupraLegacy, I bet you'd passed easily. Anyway, let us know your results.

Just realized you said intake. I don't have the stock intake parts, it currently has an SPT intake installed... has anyone passed with an SPT intake or should I find a stock intake?

I was also looking at Perrin inlet and maybe E85 setup, Tomei Poncams upgraded top feed injectors and rail system.. but that all probably wont pass huh? lol smh

Bryan C.

NorCal - SupraLegacy - 05 LGT Wagon 5MT - 15 FXT Premium

SPT was CARB certified. I think. And you should be able to get an executive order number / CARB sticker for it.

However, I would get a stock intake, because I guess the SPT intake is just about the worst thing you can do to your car. All tuners have been surprised at just how bad it is. Don't remember all the details. The COBB intake is CARB certified too if you want to stick with aftermarket.

The Cobb downpipe (even catted) would probably cause you to fail visual. Depending on how observant the SMOG tech is. I would PM WRX USA to see where he went, because he was able to pass with quite a few parts.

I have changed out my GS DP to the stock DP (which you can borrow if you need to for SMOG).

I changed my DP to stock and had the CARB sticker for my K&N intake. All non subaru logos I covered up with electrical tape.

I print my own barcode labels with Subaru logos and fake part numbers to cover them with ;)

And yes, the SPT intake is junk. Get rid of it.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 5 months later...

Going to get a out-of-state car smogged soon. wa wondering if anyone know of a reputable shop in the Bay Area.

previously I had a custom tuned car pass OBD scanner but didn't pass visual. and the shop flagged my car as 'tampered' rather than just failing it.

so I rather not risk going to a bad shop :/

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone in the San Luis Obispo area needs a catted downpipe or stock intake, let me know through PM. I just dismantled a 2005 Legacy GT (automatic) car and kept these parts. I'm swapping the engine into my Porsche 914 -- replacing the EJ22T already in it.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Got my registration for this year. I have to smog my car and show that the recall was performed for the air pump. My air pump is disconnected because it started throwing a CEL...

Here is hoping Subaru will perform the recall without the system actually working....

Got my registration for this year. I have to smog my car and show that the recall was performed for the air pump. My air pump is disconnected because it started throwing a CEL...

Here is hoping Subaru will perform the recall without the system actually working....

So glad I got the air pump recall done along with the airbag recall.

• 7 months later...

I can swap my 2005 GT nearly back to stock, which always was fine - other than 2 years ago when I ended up getting the best/worst tech ever and they spotted my uppipe, leading to very unpleasant replacement sessions to add a part that came right off after.

Anyway, I have a nearly stock (or will be) car that needs to be smogged, will be able to restore everything to stock (visually, and there is a tune that is dealing with the plug in).

I'd rather not remove the up-pipe of COBB intake - the cobb is apparently legal (I'll search for a ref on that momentarily - may swap the intake to stock again as well if I can't find the CARB ok) - anyone know a guy that isn't going to look too hard? The downpipe and intercooler will be back to stock, nothing about the car looks remarkable otherwise. Looking to do this in the next 2 weeks or so.

-thanks - PM me any suggestions.

My suggestion - buy a used OEM un-catted DP, or buy a spare catted DP and decat it yourself. Next swap, swap in the OEM pipe including heat shields, and leave it that way. Sell the Cobb UP to to recoup some of the cost. Then never swap the UP again.

Cobb vs. uncatted OEM is worth what, maybe 5-10hp on a well built setup? Not worth my trouble.

Gut a stock up or get a 07+ up and leave it. I have my OEM up gutted with the EGT acting as a plug only after clipping the sensor part off. Get the EGT deleted from the tune by an e-tuner.

This way you can look stock and pass with no ecu errors present.

Down will have to be stock looking as well.

Intake needs a CARB approval stamp and only one I'm aware of is the Subaru unit that's really worthless.

I'm going to see if I can get lucky with the non-stock up on, as well as the non-stock duct intake assembly end of the intake (which worries me more, that since that is visible).

...but if I fail visual, the plan is to replace intake with the crappy stock one and gut my stock up (EGT already deleted) and it put it back one last time. I had to put the stock one in to pass after failing a visual 2 years back, and did not enjoy taking it off again - one more swap total if ever.

Gut a stock up or get a 07+ up and leave it. I have my OEM up gutted with the EGT acting as a plug only after clipping the sensor part off. Get the EGT deleted from the tune by an e-tuner.

This way you can look stock and pass with no ecu errors present.

Down will have to be stock looking as well.

Intake needs a CARB approval stamp and only one I'm aware of is the Subaru unit that's really worthless.