LegacyGT.com

Another wheel sensor thread......

Hey guyz, I did search http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/error-ss-speed-sensor-faulty-ecu-uniti-91831.html? and couldn't come up with anything concrete. My wife's 05 LGT has the SS error code. I did connect the two white plugs in the fuse box to find out which wheel and it's the right rear.

Where exactly is the wheel sensor located for the rear? From what I've read, the wheel sensor is located on the transmission? Thx!

I gather your talking about the ABS sensor. It's located in the spindle and sensors the speed the axle is turning.

You can see it when you replace the wheel bearing/hub.

Was that done recently ?

You may also find it here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-oem-parts-catalog-online-exploded-views-opposed-forces-130411.html

Or in here,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^^ Thx for the info Max ;). We've owned the car new since 04 and never had the wheel bearing replaced (70K miles now). Although we've had significant rain over the past three months, I thought this might have something to do with it.

I've read a possible fix was to uplug/plug the connector back in on the faulty ABS sensor but didn't know exactly where it was located. I've tried resetting the ECU but that didn't work.

You'll need to get under the car and follow the wire from the sensor. It shouldn't be that hard to do if you have ramps or a good floor jack and jack stands.

Here's the left rear.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_DSCN4640.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You'll need to get under the car and follow the wire from the sensor. It shouldn't be that hard to do if you have ramps or a good floor jack and jack stands.

Here's the left rear.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_DSCN4640.jpg

Thx for the pic. Just an update, we've been hearing a "noise" and believe it to be a wheel bearing. I've made an appt. with the stealership tomorrow to investigate. Good thing my best friend is looking at it ;).

Replaced right rear hub and bearing. ABS light is still on. Dealer claims the ABS sensor is good. Is the light supposed to go off immediately assuming everything is "fixed" or does it take some time?

Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the sensor. ABS light still on. Ran diagnostics and now claims the ABS unit itself is bad....$900. I mentioned to them to check the tone ring and they claim it can't be bad because it's a new hub/bearing.

Any ideas?

Wow, this is the first one of them I've heard of.

Can you get a second opinion.

If this $900 doesn't fix the issue, do you get your money back? Sounds like they are just changing the next part in the line...

Wow, this is the first one of them I've heard of.

Can you get a second opinion.

If this $900 doesn't fix the issue, do you get your money back? Sounds like they are just changing the next part in the line...

Yep, definitely getting a second opinion. They even went as far as replacing the "bad" sensor to which solved nothing and yet charged me for it. The service manager also made the comment in regards to the ABS unit being bad,

I can't remember the last time I've seen one of these go bad. In fact, it was on a 96 Legacy, years ago.

I know they must have used a OEM hub assembly, but they could have gotten a bad one.

Common sense say's replace that with a good one and try again, hey it's only a $70 part for them.

I went thru a Moog front hub before I put the old OEM back in to prove the Moog was causing my CEL. The fronts have to be OEM my rears are Moog and work fine.

^^^ I agree. I hope they at least used the OEM. I didn't ask, only assumed. I checked the code again by plugging the two white connectors. The only thing that popped up was right rear wheel sensor. Nothing about the ABS unit itself. I was told by a reliable source if the ABS unit was bad, the code would indicate it.

I'm still convinced it's the tone ring that's the culprit. Is the tone ring part of the hub assembly? So if the hub is new, then so is the tone ring?

found this on another thread with the same problem:

The car went in today to have the new ABS pump fitted. When I picked it up, the service manager told me it had given them more problems, the test drive lasted about 2 minutes and...... the light came on again. They then checked the signal from the problem wheel and found that there was a missing pulse in the waveform indicating a problem with the magnetic encoder; as this is part of the wheel bearing, they've replaced the entire hub /bearing (which luckily they had in stock) assembly and the problem's now fixed http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php/topic/89074-abs-and-error-code-55-or-ss/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I wonder who pays for the grand's worth of new ABS pump they fitted and, presumably, took off again?

• 4 months later...
Also check the wiring under the rear seats and make sure there isn't exposure or a break in the wire. Critters got to mine in cold/wet weather.

Bingo!! Finally solved it (thanks Shutter!) Took the car down to 42AutoSPorts in Charlotte, NC (Steven Rankins). He checked the ABS, said it was fine and it was probably a break in the wire. Pulled the rear seat out and found it. A mouse had gotten into the car and chewed through the wire. Fixed it.

Thanks dealership for wanting me to buy a new ABS :spin:. I'm going to have fun calling SOA about this :mad:.

Archived