LegacyGT.com

clutch release fork FAILURE

papajon1000

I wanted to inform everyone that my clutch release fork failed. I was running an ACT clutch for 50k and think that the added pressure caused it to fatigue enough to break. I had also never heard of this until I read some nasioc posts about it.

I just wanted to write this thread to urge anyone changing their clutch to inspect it thoroughly before reassembly. Nothing quite like spending 12+ hours to replace a $20 part.

BTW I now have a clutch masters fx 350 clutch and can't believe how much lighter pedal feel is now.

Jon

IMG_20130412_124436_015.thumb.jpg.dc3ad10296f20bb6f12afa331466a263.jpg

You aren't the first, and won't be the last.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Haven't been on here in a while. I also have an ACT clutch with about 40K miles on it that needs to come out. Car will only shift into gear smooth with the engine off. I already replaced the CMC and slave cylinder to no avail. I suspect either the PP has broken fingers or the release fork/throwout bearing.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I hear you there but I had not heard anything about it before it happened at least here on legacygt

It's been something to be aware of for 20 years, just like the possibility of the fork popping off the pivot ball.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Haven't been on here in a while. I also have an ACT clutch with about 40K miles on it that needs to come out. Car will only shift into gear smooth with the engine off. I already replaced the CMC and slave cylinder to no avail. I suspect either the PP has broken fingers or the release fork/throwout bearing.

Same as mine, especially when cold. Planning to go back to either SMFW & Exedy (OEM) clutch or 6MT swap. I only have a little over 30K. ACT is garbage.

Same as mine, especially when cold. Planning to go back to either SMFW & Exedy (OEM) clutch or 6MT swap. I only have a little over 30K. ACT is garbage.

Well guys it was confirmed today. A finger broke off the ACT pressure plate and was caught between the disc and the inside of the plate. I did a random search on google and a few other people using their clutches had the same failure. They only have a 90 day warranty so they said I'm out of luck...sorry. I installed a new WRX clutch, pressure plate, and TSK kit. Pedal now feels very stock (extremely light feel) but I don't care. I need a reliable setup.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• 1 year later...

Hey, how did you get a picture of my clutch fork?:confused:

Seriously, my '05 Legacy GT just experienced this same problem on Monday.:mad: Actually the pivot bolt has broken off from the tranny housing also. I've had the car back on the road for about 10K miles & this happens. I had the OEM clutch with a Spec 2 clutch & flywheel during the rebuild. I've been searching for possible mods, or a better clutch fork to avoid this same problem. Unfortunately my searches aren't going too well.:spin: Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Does anyone even make a reinforced clutch fork that will fit to mitigate what is an eventual problem?

Not that I saw when I was looking.

Mine turned into a pretzel with the stock clutch on my 97. I can say that they did make changes from mine to the current one.

Archived