LegacyGT.com

Custom shifter linkage and bushings

The moment I saw the linkage on the trans I bought my mind went to work.

So far I came up with an aluminum bushings in shop class.

I'm also looking at cutting the shifter and messing with the ratios for a shorter shift. When I looked at short shifted online I notice they just moved the bar farther up the shift stick. A lot actually. About an inch. So I'm thinking ill cut an inch out of the top on the and cut and put the inch long piece on the bottom section.

But does anyone have any measurement of a real short shifter? Just to be sure?

Here you can see. On the top is the bushing I made.

and the two golf tees are what I would cut. Then weld back together. And take and put that 1 inch piece where I have that single tee. To lengthen that.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b642a12-0c0f-05d2.jpg

This should reduce the shift throw while maintaining stock look and height. Thought I may put a slight bend in the shifter toward the driver. Like 10-20 degress

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

aluminum bushings will have a great feel/response, but will rattle like a mofo. I had the kart boy front bushings on my last 2 cars and they felt great, but we're quiet since they're hard rubber. Now I have copolymer front shifter bushings on my LGT cause my friend gave them to me for free and they feel better than the kartboys, but vibrate like crazy and make a lot of noise. I shoved a whole bunch of insulation under my shifter trim which helped.

Good point on the noise. My next option was to make them from a hockey Puck. But I kept the bushing pretty tight so ill see about it when I get home and put it on. Makes it nice that the tranny is out of the car

Bother question. Where can I get that rubber weather boot seal thing. Or first what is it called!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

• I Donated
The 5MT is pretty damn heavy when you try and pull it out of the car on jackstands without using a floor jack to lower it down.....

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i installed the 5 mt in my car tonight by myself. its only about 70 to 90 pounds vs the auto which i bet it over 140

and yes i have the shifter installed. if i would of made the bottom section any longer the shifter linkage would have hit the chassis in gears 1 3 and 5. i think the pro short shifters lower the fixed part of the shifter too.

also. how do i wire the 5mt up.. the vss plugged right and i have the dash to go with it if my speed is off. and also, even on auto cars the plug for the clutch pedal is still there. i assume its for the safe start fuction the needs the clutch in to start. so i plugged it in, should work?

and lastly, how to do the back up lights? what sensor is it? only 3 sensors on the 5mt. one i know is the vss.

• I Donated

I can move around the 5MT myself if its out of the car....but I can't take it out and put it in by myself...there is no way. Probably has a lot to do with the problems I have with my back though.

Just wait until you lift a Subaru rear diff. Talk about light......those things weigh nothing.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived