LegacyGT.com

How To Clean MAF???

Hey all, did some extensive searching on here with no luck, so figured it was time to ask the question for myself...How do you clean the MAF on an LGT (mine is an 05 to be exact)?

Reason for wanting to clean the MAF is while cold/cool (until fully warm) if I stop at a stop sign or stop light, when I go to take off my car hesitates and stumbles and about stalls. It does this until the car is fully warm and then it is fine. Also, IMO, my LGT is getting below average gas mileage and I have read tat a dirty MAF may also be the cause to this as well, From the research I have done, for both complaints, everything has pointed me towards a dirty MAF but I could be wrong, so if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please share :)

OK, so if I buy the spray, do I simply just unplug the MAF from the air cleaner lid, spray it with the cleaner and then re-plug it in??? and do my symtoms sound like a dirty MAF is the culprit or am I just wasting my time cleaning it?

Pull the maf out of the housing and VERY CAREFULLY wipe the maf element with a tissue or paper towel. Do not apply pressure to it just lightly wipe on each side. If dirty it will look black then a golden brown when you are done. I have seen tons replaced by shops that could have been easily cleaned and reinstalled. Don't use the maf cleaner directly as the stream is too powerfull for the lgt maf and may damage it. If you use the cleaner spray it on the towel then wipe it off. Be carefull.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Like Dave said spray it lightly as to not damage it, take the 2 philips head screws that hold it in out of the airbox so you can remove it. Also be sure to clean the element that is deep inside the MAF itself (not just the exposed one that you can clearly see) as alot of people overlook this and re-install it. You'll see what i'm talking about when you have it out of the air box...

easy stuff

Just letting everyone know, he MAF cleaning was a Success!!!!!! While I was at it I went ahead and used my Cobb AP and reflashed my car so that I was starting fresh from ground zero on all accounts......After I was all said and done, now after a few days of driving my cold engine stutter/hesitation has disappeared and my throttle response feels much improved as well :) the MAF sensor did look dirty before cleaning so idk if it was te culprti or if my last refash from my Cobb was partially crrupted or what but my car runs ike a champ now!

Pull the maf out of the housing and VERY CAREFULLY wipe the maf element with a tissue or paper towel. Do not apply pressure to it just lightly wipe on each side. If dirty it will look black then a golden brown when you are done. I have seen tons replaced by shops that could have been easily cleaned and reinstalled. Don't use the maf cleaner directly as the stream is too powerfull for the lgt maf and may damage it. If you use the cleaner spray it on the towel then wipe it off. Be carefull.

Dave

^^^ that golden brown sensor you're referring to is the IAT. The MAF sensor is actually up inside the housing.

• 1 year later...

Archived