LegacyGT.com

$20 Video camera!!

Saw this on a motorcycle forum and decided id try it out for $20. Got 5 of them and averaged about $13 shipped and then just needed to buy a micro SD card for it (4gb=$7).

Thought id pass this on to you guys incase you didnt want to spend over $100 for a GoPro.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-Spy-Cam-MD80-Camcorder-/160414474798?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255972a22e

I just took a quick video and it came out decent once its loaded onto youtube ill show add it. But in the meantime heres one from someone else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK32dKhy0RM]YouTube- Md80 Test[/ame]

That looks pretty cool. Video is not that bad.

I already have a GoPro HD but more angles would be nice.

I almost ordered some but 9.99 shipping per camera.. I really hate when sellers gouge you with shipping costs.

Post up some video when you get a chance.

well what i did was found one with free shipping. Prices started at like $.99 and then i bid it to 12 something and for the most part no one bidded anymore.

pretty cool! wonder how it would work if i took it mountain biking.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I just bought one to check it out.

When it arrives I'll hook it up next to my dashcam and post a comparison of the images.

My greatest concern is that the lens will be blinded/useless whent he sun is in shot. If you tilt it down to avoid the sun then you'll miss the status of traffic lights (one of the most common points of dispute in a contested accident). The other most common points of dispute is lane position / who drifted out of their lane etc. This camera should hand that well as long as the sun is not in shot.

05Boost: Could you adjust the camera so that the horizon is slightly above halfway on the screen (If you see more than half sky then the camera will adjust the brightness level to make the sky visible / road too dark... More than half road = Camera adjusts to make the road visible). Once you've got it set like that, can you drive with the sun in shot then post the results, please?

Cheaper cameras will have their sensors overpowered and you'll see a solid white vertical line over the sun... Even cheaper cameras will overpower all the pixels one side of the sensor so the images will be completely useless.

When seeing the sun...

Cheap Camera: ($50, fixed-iris)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/sunglare.jpg

So-So Camera: ($150, auto-iris)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/sunglare2.jpg

Good Camera ($300, auto-iris)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/joyride.jpg

(Top right corner image, sun is on shot but camera adjusts)

not what you wanted but was just testing out the tank mount on my bike.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KVZzboCOc]YouTube- Tank Mount Test.wmv[/ame]

uploading another video as a helmet cam test. Tried looking at the sun for you.

going to get alittle dizzy watching this one. Youtube is cutting quality a lot. If anyone wants me to send them the actual file pm me your email address and ill sent it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJsunsXf1mo]YouTube- Helmet Cam Test.wmv[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KVZzboCOc][/ame]

Im tempted to grab one of these but I would prefer a better quality image.

Any suggestions for something halfway between this and a GoPro HD?

I have a Kodak ZX1 HD only 100 bucks and its rugged as hell! Great camera to put anywhere and go anywhere with.

I shot this using the Zx1

A.D.Dicts Nissan 350z Teaser Trailer on Vimeo

05Boost: Didn't really get a good sense of how the camera handles the sun. In the early afternoon the sun will bee too high unless you look at it intentionally, but in the morning and evening (especially in winter) the sun will be lower.

You allergic to stop signs?

ok itll be raining the next 4 days here so ill get one as soon as the sun comes out.

As for stop signs the ones with white borders are optional. Im trying to save gas by not completely stopping since thats what uses the most gas ha. And videos were done in mexico.

WTF?!

Of course they aren't optional.

what you haven't heard about those new red stop lights either? you don't have to stop at those either when making turns.

yeah,......been like that for a while now! geez:rolleyes::lol:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

^ I can almost see it: in few years some joker on the internetz will go to jail for some unintentional manslaughter when some idiot reads his joke and takes it for truth....

scary. After that it will all go down, this board will go among the first, and rao and the like will get lifetime sentences...

not what you wanted but was just testing out the tank mount on my bike.

uploading another video as a helmet cam test. Tried looking at the sun for you.

Hey, you have no helmet on that one!!:spin:

Hey, you have no helmet on that one!!:spin:

yea if im staying on my street i tend to not wear it. But anyother time im suited up.

pa dumb law that you dont have to wear one if you dont want too either.

Helmets: Some people say "Let those who ride decide." I say; "Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet must not have anything in there worth protecting."

I first rode a bike on the road 20 years ago. I never ride without my helmet and leathers. Ever.

Stop signs: Remember that the camera is not on your side, it's completely impartial - if you run one of those "optional mexican stop signs" and get into an accident then the camera footage can be used against you whether you like it or not (if the police / other party figure out you have it)

People *have* been ticketed after-the-fact for traffic violations posted on youtube - although usually those are really serious violations.

Helmets: Some people say "Let those who ride decide." I say; "Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet must not have anything in there worth protecting."

I first rode a bike on the road 20 years ago. I never ride without my helmet and leathers. Ever.

Stop signs: Remember that the camera is not on your side, it's completely impartial - if you run one of those "optional mexican stop signs" and get into an accident then the camera footage can be used against you whether you like it or not (if the police / other party figure out you have it)

People *have* been ticketed after-the-fact for traffic violations posted on youtube - although usually those are really serious violations.

yea i saw one video the kid was doing wheelies and eventually undercover state cop pulled him over with gun pulled out. Kid later put the video on youtube and cops saw it then got the kid for video recording the officer without concent.

Recording conversations usually falls under standard wiretap laws, and could be problematic in a two-party state. I have heard of people being prosecuted for that. Consult a local lawyer who may advise you to be ready to turn the recorder off in a traffic stop situation.

I'm in Ohio, and I consulted with our local prosecutor. His advice was that recording in public was fine as long as I did not interfere with the officer's duties. (ie Don't get in the officer's face with a camcorder) A fixed dashcam doesn't interfere.

Archived