LegacyGT.com

Thinking Ahead: Clutch replacement

bluesuby

I'm thinking I may be needing a clutch within a year when the odometer hits 150,000 miles. Probably going stock, and using the dealer to cash in Subiebucks. A few questions to help me out:

What are flywheel options: Leave well enough alone if no damage? Resurface? Replacement required?

Other items might be done to save labor later. If it's necessary to separate the ball joints would it be smart to replace them at this time or would that add a lot of labor to press them out?

How about the halfshafts? Replace them or replace the rubber boots on the stub axles? Will the axles be nearing the end of their life?

I guess it goes without saying that an alignment will likely be a good idea, as well as tranny fluid.

Thanks for the help. (2005 LGT Wagon)

I'm thinking I may be needing a clutch within a year when the odometer hits 150,000 miles. Probably going stock, and using the dealer to cash in Subiebucks. A few questions to help me out:

What are flywheel options: Leave well enough alone if no damage? Resurface? Replacement required?

Other items might be done to save labor later. If it's necessary to separate the ball joints would it be smart to replace them at this time or would that add a lot of labor to press them out?

How about the halfshafts? Replace them or replace the rubber boots on the stub axles? Will the axles be nearing the end of their life?

I guess it goes without saying that an alignment will likely be a good idea, as well as tranny fluid.

Thanks for the help. (2005 LGT Wagon)

If you haven't switched to the SMFW I would suggest that along with the associated clutch kit as well.

Axles will save you labor but don't really need to be replaced unless they are needed. Same goes for the ball joints, although at 150k those are probably due.

If you wanted to get the OEM SMFW + SMFW Clutch Kit using your subie bucks, we could do the install :)

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

You can get a 2007-2009 legacy flywheel and clutch kit. That will get rid of the dualmass FW you have.

You may also want the TSK3 TOB kit too.

You'll want Mikes guy's to do the labor. They know all the little things that need to done, like grease the snout and the tranny and even the shift on the starter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll consider the suggestion. AZP is a couple hours away, but they did my timing belt, water pump etc. a couple years ago and it was great work.

What's the downside to the dual mass flywheel? If Subaru changed over they must have had a reason. I do acknowledge that the 2005 clutch is not the friendliest clutch I ever drove, and there were many posts about the stinky clutch burning incidents experienced years ago.

What's a TSK3 TOB kit?

I'll consider the suggestion. AZP is a couple hours away, but they did my timing belt, water pump etc. a couple years ago and it was great work.

What's the downside to the dual mass flywheel? If Subaru changed over they must have had a reason. I do acknowledge that the 2005 clutch is not the friendliest clutch I ever drove, and there were many posts about the stinky clutch burning incidents experienced years ago.

What's a TSK3 TOB kit?

It probably cost more to make a dual fly wheel and it cannot be resurfaced. The single mass can. The tsk3 kit is a kit that includes a steel tube to put over your snout on your transmission. The snout on our transmission is aluminum(easy to wear) . The kit will also include a throw out bearing to fit the size of the new tube.

It probably cost more to make a dual fly wheel and it cannot be resurfaced. The single mass can. The tsk3 kit is a kit that includes a steel tube to put over your snout on your transmission. The snout on our transmission is aluminum(easy to wear) . The kit will also include a throw out bearing to fit the size of the new tube.

Yup, also the DMFW is used in so few subies (05-06 LGT to be exact) that the replacement cost on the associated DMFW Clutch Kit is so high due to the loss of economies of scale. The SMFW and the SMFW Clutch kits are used on 06+ WRXs, 07+ LGTs as well as some MT Forester XTs, so you have a much better economy of scale.

The DMFW found on my old 05 CTSV also was a costly and PITA item to replace, most of those folks, myself included went to the Z06 Flywheel and Clutch Kit because it was cheaper and about 30lbs lighter!

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

What's a TSK3 TOB kit?

Not to change the subject but AZP has done a few jobs for me as well. Motor and trans mounts, stainless lines and most recently Koni's with Epic's and new mounts front and rear. All of that and I was out within about 3 hours time. Can't beat that.:cool:

Archived