LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfires or bad injectors, please post here.

what

^ Clogged-cat can create the symptoms that you've described. Only way to know for sure is take it off or replace it with a known good one.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just to get this straight because there are lots of threads and i have been stressing over this stupid car:spin:

Solid CEL light

blinking cruise

blinking SI drive

Car runs like there is nothing wrong, no stutter, no hesitation, no unusual noise/knocking

code pulled P0304 misfire #4

Plugs were changed 5k miles ago

only 1 high flow cat

99k miles stage 2 334whp/375wtq fine till now.

some say

gas cap

vac line

fuel inj

spark plugs

coil pack

valves

ringland

if the car is running fine what can i eliminate from the list of issues. Ive never experienced anything like this were a code pulls up and the car runs like new.

just to get this straight because there are lots of threads and i have been stressing over this stupid car:spin:

Solid CEL light

blinking cruise

blinking SI drive

Car runs like there is nothing wrong, no stutter, no hesitation, no unusual noise/knocking

code pulled P0304 misfire #4

Plugs were changed 5k miles ago

only 1 high flow cat

99k miles stage 2 334whp/375wtq fine till now.

some say

gas cap

vac line

fuel inj

spark plugs

coil pack

valves

ringland

if the car is running fine what can i eliminate from the list of issues. Ive never experienced anything like this were a code pulls up and the car runs like new.

Those horsepower numbers are impossible at stage 2. Get a compression check. Failing rings and ringlands can be a silent killer.

.... some also speculate that it's last on the chain in the fuel rail which causes slight lean conditions thus eventual low compression. but the rails and lines are equidistant...

Could a Stage 1 tune correct this scenario? i.e. is the stock tune possibly too conservative, causing a lean condition?

a tune can definitely help lean conditions, the oem tune has some leans pots within it so removing those will help. btw "conservative" usually means on the rich side, and/or timing set to have a buffer zone before it knocks.

Hi there,

I've had some slight sputtering recently under WOT, figured it was fouled plugs or something, so i changed the plugs, also cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner the same time.

After i put everything back up, i've been getting ALOT of continuous sputtering when the car tries to build boost, and i dont know whats happening. I have no CEL or anything. THE CAR IS NOT BOOSTING PERIOD, just holding 0 on the boost controller. Im smelling gas and the car seems to be running extremely rich

Defi boost gauge: Jus holding one position slightly above zero and not moving

Greddy Profec 2 BC: is displaying negative numbers and as soon as it hits zero to build boost the sputtering begins again

Could it be a coilpack, plug, bad maf sensor?? Where do i start?? Btw this is the jdm 2.0 turbo. Can someone plzzzzzz help???

Edited by Redline2083

After i put everything back up, i've been getting ALOT of continuous sputtering when the car tries to build boost, and i dont know whats happening. I have no CEL or anything. THE CAR IS NOT BOOSTING PERIOD, just holding 0 on the boost controller. Im smelling gas and the car seems to be running extremely rich

A lot of things can be causing this really. MAF seems like a good place to start - I've experienced similar irregular/bad performance when I just didn't have the air-box securely closed and the air readings on the MAF were all messed up. Considering the big difference pre/post cleaning - it sounds like your MAF might be damaged.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Ok i cleaned the MAF, checked the turbo hoses and one was off. After reconnecting it helped the sputtering partially. I think the water injection i have installed it blowing out the spark, im not sure why it wud be doing it all of a sudden now i've changed the plugs. Has me baffled! Whenever the water injection light comes on indicating its spraying, is when the sputtering begins. Anyone knows a good gap for the plugs with water injection installed?

BTW i jus wanted to say i dragged an 07 hatchback sti saturday, and destroyed him. My car has everything stock except exhaust and boost controller.....NO TUNE. My car is rated 280hp in japan and his 305hp. Feels good to know i gave him 3-4 lengths in the 1/4mile before a tune :D. He doesnt feel good that a luxury ride kicked his ass lol....Now back to the topic at hand. The plugs!!!

Edited by Redline2083

depends on the fault. if you're consistently misfiring it will wait for 3 occurences (or so) and then throw a cel, the cel may disappear the next start up. P0000 is the code for pending misfire. 1 misfire will not trigger a cel.

Ok i cleaned the MAF, checked the turbo hoses and one was off. After reconnecting it helped the sputtering partially. I think the water injection i have installed it blowing out the spark, im not sure why it wud be doing it all of a sudden now i've changed the plugs. Has me baffled! Whenever the water injection light comes on indicating its spraying, is when the sputtering begins. Anyone knows a good gap for the plugs with water injection installed?

BTW i jus wanted to say i dragged an 07 hatchback sti saturday, and destroyed him. My car has everything stock except exhaust and boost controller.....NO TUNE. My car is rated 280hp in japan and his 305hp. Feels good to know i gave him 3-4 lengths in the 1/4mile before a tune :D. He doesnt feel good that a luxury ride kicked his ass lol....Now back to the topic at hand. The plugs!!!

that's cool. you were drag racing without being tuned with meth and mods...you sound like a smart one. were you in japan? because in the U.S. the sti hatch came out in 08.

that's cool. you were drag racing without being tuned with meth and mods...you sound like a smart one. were you in japan? because in the U.S. the sti hatch came out in 08.

Yea quite smart *head down*. I am not tuned because im unable to access my ecu for some reason, not sure why and im only running water injection for now, no meth, So the car is extremely rich, running in 9's because the aem wideband is hold 10.0 flat on WOT. I'm in the caribbean so we get everything from japan, so the hatch is 07. i believe the japs got the legacy gt in 03 and the US in 05

I have now:

replaced injector

cleaned MAF/IAT

Replaced Air Filter

Swapped Coil Packs

Checked Blue Tee Vacuum Lines

Still getting the #4 misfire code. Is there anything else I should check before I have it leakdown tested? Shoudl I investigate more vacuum lines? Would a vacuum line cause a misfire in only one cylinder? If so, any ideas on where to look?

Much Thanks

I have now had a leakdown and compression test and all was fine. All cylinders were 130-140 psi.

P0304 CEL Light has come back on. When the shop did the compression test, they said that the new injector that had been installed was leaking from the top, so they put a different one in. The car now runs and idles much better (though not perfect), but the code is still being thrown!!!

I have no idea where to go from here? If someone can suggest I would appreciate!

Thanks

You need to check the rubber gasket seal where the plastic Intake manifold bolts on.

I was just talking to a couple of Subaru techs this week, one with 15-20 years experience and one with 8-12 years.

They both told me with my new motor to watch for cylinder 4 misfires, and if you get any check the rubber seal on the black plastic intake.

I didn't ask how to check it but if there were a leak there I would assume you could spray carburetor cleaner or something similar around that area and if there is a leak it will cause the motor to rev a bit.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I think that is how you would check.

Other than that, I would think a leak down/ compression test would be in order.

I had intermittent misfires after about 112k and I did all the normal things mentioned. Funny thing was when I purchased a spare injector my misfire went away.

It was running perfect after that for a couple months or more and then all of a sudden I had misfires really bad below about 2k RPMs.

Did leak down and cylinder was holding 30 PSI.

Tore it down and valve seat/ valve was bad.

Seems that the turbo'd Subarus are prone to exhaust valve seats going bad, especially at high mileage over around 100K

My lower end was perfect, still had hone scratches and number four looked perfect as well.

A friend of mine had a head gasket leak at around 100K and he decided to just fix that. When the heads were pulled off and checked the exhaust valves were already out of spec.

He rebuilt the heads and put them back on the same short block (money constraints and no oil usage) and his motor is running fine with little to no consumption.

Same with mine, but I already had a built short block so I swapped it out.

Hope this helps

Edited by Scooby2.5

You need to check the rubber gasket seal where the plastic Intake manifold bolts on.

I was just talking to a couple of Subaru techs this week, one with 15-20 years experience and one with 8-12 years.

They both told me with my new motor to watch

it.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I think that is how you would check.

Other than that, I would think a leak down/ compression test would be in order.

I had intermittent misfires after about 112k and I did all the normal things mentioned. Funny thing was when I purchased a spare injector my misfire went away.

It was running perfect after that for a couple months or more and then all of a sudden I had misfires really bad below about 2k RPMs.

Did leak down and cylinder was holding 30 PSI.

Tore it down and valve seat/ valve was bad.

Seems that the turbo'd Subarus are prone to exhaust valve seats going bad, especially at high mileage over around 100K

My lower end was perfect, still had hone scratches and number four looked perfect as well.

A friend of mine had a head gasket leak at around 100K and he decided to just fix that. When the heads were pulled off and checked the exhaust valves were already out of spec.

He rebuilt the heads and put them back on the same short block (money constraints and no oil usage) and his motor is running fine with little to no consumption.

Same with mine, but I already had a built short block so I swapped it out.

Hope this helps

Which black intake were they referring to? The air intake before the air filter?

I had the compression/leak down which is why I am now at a loss for what to check. Everything so far seems to check out.

Which black intake were they referring to? The air intake before the air filter?

I had the compression/leak down which is why I am now at a loss for what to check. Everything so far seems to check out.

The intake manifold. (the biggest black thing in the engine bay).

They sit on red o-rings between the tgv's and can leak sometimes.

Thanks Guys,

Just to confirm, this is the O-ring between the intake manifold and the intake manifold(lower), that is labelled number 23 on FU(H4DOTC)-3 of the vacation pics?

Is the intake manifold(lower) the same as TGV?