LegacyGT.com

Anybody buy/sell a Spec B recently?

I have had my 2009 Spec B on auto trader for probably 2 months and it is listed at about Book. The market seems very soft. The car is in immaculate condition and is beautiful. Everyone wants to offer me a couple grand under book and I can't justify letting a car that has been such a pleasure go at a short price. I own it free and clear and am in no hurry to sell. Anyone recently negotiate a deal, buying or selling, and have some words of advice, insight, etc on the current Spec B market? Did you sell/buy under book? These are not Toyota camerys and the market is certainly not flooded...

Thanks guys

Not a Spec B but I recently had my 07 up on here for sale and also had several people come at me with prices that were from websites such as Nada and Edmunds, which value these cars significantly lower than Kbb. I was asking in the middle of Kbb and edmunds but got no interest on this site. My recommendation would be to post it elsewhere and be patient. Most of the people on here looking to buy are trying to lowball you and comparing to what other people are selling theirs for, when in reality all cars are taken care of and handled and driven differently. Good luck with your sale either way, I decided to keep mine as it wasnt worth it to sell for less than I still owe on it lol

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

KBB values are bloated and unrealistic. NADA is a much more accurate and useful tool for pricing.

I'd also disagree - not all people looking for cars here are "lowballers" - people here probably put more value on cars than most because it is an enthusiast crowd. They are likely more knowledgable on these cars than most though, so if your pricing is too high, you will hear about it (not that I know what you were asking or think it was too high).

I sell cars for a living. KBB prices are inflated and urealistic in most cases. Just like catalyst said. By nature everyone is looking for a deal. People feel good about making a purchase when they feel as if they paid less for more. You will get a few nonsense offers. There is an ass for every seat and someone will see the value of what your selling and pay what you are asking as long as what your asking isn't crazily unreasonable.

Ditto about KBB. I've watched your car on Autotrader for a while now... It looks really looks great, but I've actually recommended it to others with the caveat that I wouldn't pay what you're asking. I'd say you're asking price is about $2K over-valued; even for Colorado. For example, I bought my spec.B last year with similar miles for $5K less (2-owner, though, but also pretty immaculate). Casual buyers probably won't stumble upon your car. The person who wants it will likely be a Subaru die-hard, so they'll probably have a good sense of the market value. If you decide you need to sell it, ask 19.5K and your car will be gone before you can blink. That's just my 2 cents...

I don't think your car is too over priced, but maybe a bit. I think if you were in Los Angeles you'd get $22K more quickly, but being in Colorado Springs you're just in a smaller market, and trying to sell a niche car in a small market is hard.

For reference, when I was looking for my car I found one in 9/10 condition local to me in LA, 60K miles, priced at $22.5K, same as yours, it was an 08 and this was over a year ago. I passed that one up an ended up flying out to SLC to get my 09 for $26K even. It was literally showroom perfect, had only 14K miles on it, and was bone stock, virgin status.

I think you're in the ballpark, and if I were you wouldn't take a dollar less than $20K, but you may be a tad high. Either way, if you are selling a specb and want a good price you need to understand that you really need to wait for an enthusiast to come along.

Either way, if you are selling a specb and want a good price you need to understand that you really need to wait for an enthusiast to come along.

True. The right person will surely pay what he's asking, if the OP is patient. It looks like the car hasn't been modded or beat on, so there should be a premium there. Unfortunately, there's a lot of choices out there recently.

Generally, I tend to think that FSBO spec.Bs are priced a little high, since the owner thinks the car is special, and rightfully, so. Honestly, I think I was fortune to get a very clean car from a non-Subaru dealer that really had no clue what they were selling. I'm not even sure the 2nd owner knew too much about the car, but it was obviously garaged, maintained, etc...

I think I might've found the listing, and the modifications might be why people are offering a little less than you had hoped. Also I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if this listing is yours I would say "because" instead of "bc". It is a very nice, clean looking car though inside and out

I think I might've found the listing, and the modifications might be why people are offering a little less than you had hoped.

In the OP's defense, I dont' think it's really "mods". It's probably just the "SPT Power Package" that was a dealer installed performance option. My car has this as well.

I will say the ad is a bit misleading in regards to the bhp... unless there are other mods not listed...

This day a forum member contacted me about my 06 B,,this was out of the blue.

I concur with those you said numbers offered by other retailers were somewhat below expectations,however if you were to sell,,for what's its worth I would try to do it here,amongst other aficionados who appreciate what you have.

Good luck..and never ,ever do it with Any dealer as a trade in.

It's overpriced, the ad is misleading (and in a couple instances, just plain wrong), and he's not getting any takers because he doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about.

~300hp with intake and exhaust? False. Maybe if you call 265 "about 300". Short throw shift knob? WTF? That's a not a thing. Exclusive? Sure, but only in 06-07. The 08-09s aren't numbered.

STI all grown up? *sigh*

If I were the OP, I'd erase all that bullshit and just get with the facts:

Black on Black SpecB, xx,xxxMiles, 6 speed manual. If you know what this is, you know what's in it and you know what it's worth. I want 20k and not a penny less. Don't have the cash? Then **** off.

Simple, to the point.

Exclusive? Sure, but only in 06-07. The 08-09s aren't numbered.

Only the 06's were numbered, not the 07's. And there are far less of my car, swp specb than the 06's.

Not trying to start an argument, just saying, give him some credit. If you want a black/white specb 09 is your ONLY choice, and black/white specb's are the least of all of them.

I really doubt his 300bhp estimate is throwing people off. Either you're one of us and know better, or you would eat that up like a candy apple.

I don't think your car is too over priced, but maybe a bit. I think if you were in Los Angeles you'd get $22K more quickly, but being in Colorado Springs you're just in a smaller market, and trying to sell a niche car in a small market is hard.

For reference, when I was looking for my car I found one in 9/10 condition local to me in LA, 60K miles, priced at $22.5K, same as yours, it was an 08 and this was over a year ago. I passed that one up an ended up flying out to SLC to get my 09 for $26K even. It was literally showroom perfect, had only 14K miles on it, and was bone stock, virgin status.

I think you're in the ballpark, and if I were you wouldn't take a dollar less than $20K, but you may be a tad high. Either way, if you are selling a specb and want a good price you need to understand that you really need to wait for an enthusiast to come along.

I really appreciate your perspective. Maybe I will drop the price sometime but I just ended up putting new tires on it, replacing the battery, and replacing the grill outline piece bc it is getting some bubbles under the faux chrome. The car is also about to have its 60K mile service which costs a pretty penny. I think I will enjoy the car for a few good months unless someone offers up the dough. Thanks very much

I had only skimmed over the description and didn't realize the intake and exhaust were spt. When I say mods, I'm referring to everything added to the car, like tints and painted wheels (I know they're oem). The tints and painted wheels shouldn't hurt resale too much, but for me personally they reduce the resale value. When I see things like that, it makes me question what else might've been done to the car and how was the car driven. Were there other mods installed that were removed? Was the car abused? I'm not saying you did either of these, but you know it wasn't a grandma that previously owned the car.

I bought my 07 this past October right at NADA's price.

just ended up putting new tires on it, replacing the battery, and replacing the grill outline piece bc it is getting some bubbles under the faux chrome. The car is also about to have its 60K mile service which costs a pretty penny.

None of that really matters when it comes to price. The price estimates reflect a car in good working order with proper maintenance complete. It's just that not having that done would reduce the price.

I haven't take the vehicle to track days or really spent any extended amount of time with the engine operating at high revs. Just daily driving and the occasional romp. I understand why one might ask those questions about a vehicle that has these accessories (apexi). I had a guy ask me if i had drilled some pipe or something which would have suggested that the engine had been run at a higher output. It has been pretty tame. I have found that the people that enquire are quite the niche types. If they are into it, they are into it. Thanks guys

Archived