LegacyGT.com

Where to mount a fire extinguisher?

lamboman

Hey, I always have an ABCD mini-extinguisher in my cars. Just because I may not use it doesn't mean I may need to help someone else. Plus I'm just so used to having one handy like in the rally car.

I would try mounting it against the passenger side of the center console down in the footwell area. You may be able to pull back the interior there and get a good mount for it. That way it should be somewhat accessible from the driver seat but otherwise easily notices in case passengers should need to use it. Or if you don't really feel you need quick access to it or you sometimes transport little kids that may pop it try mounting it to the side of the trunk somewhere. I'm new to my LGT so I haven't found a home for mine yet, I'll probably do some serious looking before the next rally up here. Right now it's just in its plastic carriage in the right rear footwell.

Trunk for me - a mini as well.

I've started too many small fires by accident *NOT* to have one near at all times. :D

Why the trunk? I prefer to keep it out-of-sight and packaged where it won't get in the way of anything nor interfere with anyone's comfort. Certainly, it won't help if I'm trapped in the car, but I figure that I'd be screwed, in that case, anyway - and a seat-mount may nor may not have helped. It's a calculated risk that *I* chose to undertake.

Why a mini? I'm no fireman, and I'm not deluded enough to think that even a bigger tank like I have for the kitchen will save me from an all-out "car-fire." I've seen too many of those to know better. I'll just step away from the car, and call for help. :(

Mine is simply mounted through the carpeting in the trunk, behind my left wheelwell. The bottle is small enough/light enough that the bracket I made for it easily holds firm through the carpet. Even if I botched the quick-release in an emergency, I'll just tear the friggin thing out of the trunk, no problems. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 years later...

I'm going to revive this way old thread because I'd rather not start a new one.

I also considered mounting it in the trunk but what if you get rear-ended hard, you need it but it has just become inaccessible.

Anywhoo, the true reason I revived this thread is to ask something about fire extinguisher types. I have read that the standard dry type is next to impossible to clean up and also highly corrosive. Instead, for auto use it's recommended one purchases Halon-type extinguishers. Drawback? Expensive as hell

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Accessories/fireextinguishers.htm

Does anyone know of another type or can anyone recommend a not-so-corrosive one at a reasonable price?

Way to R.I.C.E.R. for me........if it cooks down......GET A NEW ONE:)

In case you have valuables in the car.. ANY sort of fire will be an automatic write off. It only takes 2 minutes, max 3 for a car to burn down to bare bone (see pic below). Luckily, I didn't have too many valuables in the car, but for the stuff I did have, if I had an extinguisher then I'd be able to save it all.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v275/162/21/227200822/n227200822_835904_9991.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v321/162/21/227200822/n227200822_905057_843.jpg

Here in Dubai all new vehicles from 2005 are required to have some sort of fire extinguisher installed in the vehicle from the manufacturer.

Here is a pic of where Subaru installs them in the Legacy's here:

Chris

IMG_1626.jpg.706833e47d50d47b2fb09c7658da8b03.jpg

I'm going to revive this way old thread because I'd rather not start a new one.

I also considered mounting it in the trunk but what if you get rear-ended hard, you need it but it has just become inaccessible.

Anywhoo, the true reason I revived this thread is to ask something about fire extinguisher types. I have read that the standard dry type is next to impossible to clean up and also highly corrosive. Instead, for auto use it's recommended one purchases Halon-type extinguishers. Drawback? Expensive as hell

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Accessories/fireextinguishers.htm

Does anyone know of another type or can anyone recommend a not-so-corrosive one at a reasonable price?

If you get rear ended and there is a fire from a leaky gas tank, your are doomed. I keep a 5 pounder in the trunk. There is no other place, without bolting it to the floor, that is safe in case of an accident. Think of a five pond missile ricocheting around the cabin.

I have saved three of my cars which had engine fires (very unlucky) The dry works fine, don't worry about corrosion.

It is also a good idea to install a battery cut off switch. These new fangled cars can burn up, even if the ignition key is turned off.:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I have saved three of my cars which had engine fires (very unlucky)....

Damn, that's impressive that you were able to save your vehicles. :eek: I've seen, up close and personal, how fast such fires can spread. I'm quite impressed.

Like I said before, mine is where it is (and is what it is), for some very specific reasons. I have no delusions about being able to truly "firefight."

I think that I'll likely invest in a front and a rear small-canister in-cabin setup as Zs2.5 posted (and thanks, fishbone for kicking my ass into doing something about it :)), for some added peace-of-mind and safety.

----

patriki - What happened to your Rex?! :eek::(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Here in Dubai all new vehicles from 2005 are required to have some sort of fire extinguisher installed in the vehicle from the manufacturer.

Here is a pic of where Subaru installs them in the Legacy's here:

Chris

That's really cool, thanks for posting that.

Is there a Subaru part number for the bracket?

The fire extinguisher is too small.:spin: A five pounder is the smallest I would carry, and you better be quick!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

^ I think that in-cabin canister is only for extrication/standoff purposes. There's no way that can help a true engine-fire......

^ I think that in-cabin canister is only for extrication/standoff purposes. There's no way that can help a true engine-fire......

Honestly, that's the only reason to ahve a fire extingusher in the cabin. Too big and it's a pain in the cabin.

And event I hope to particupate in a year or two requires me mount a 2.5 bottle within "easy reach" of the driver and I also need a spot for the navigator.

Suggestions that don't require tearing up the interior? I don't need it in there all the time, just during runs.

Its not a "Subaru" part. It looks like it came as part of the extinguisher, which is from Italy.

My Silverado and Trailblazer both have a 5 pounders mounted in about the same location. Most cars that have the room that I have seen have it mounted in that location as well. If not there they are usually in front of the drivers seat.

I know all the American branded cars come with a 5 pounder!

Chris

Sure, but having a small one in the passenger compartment, right at hand, still seems like a great idea. Maybe complement it with a bigger one in the back (where mounting should require a lot less creativity).

^ Exactly, and that's why I also do intend, as I said before, put two canisters in the passenger cabin (one front, one rear), for just such an emergency purpose. :)

Archived