LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is wondering what that means - Grimmspeed said they would stop updating the NASIOC thread and would only be updating via the interest list. This is the first email.

Here is the key piece from it

Keep an eye out for our next newsletter with an update on the end tank casting process. We've finally made it to the 'top of the pile' and should be progressing very quickly through the tooling, casting and machining process in the coming weeks! We're headed to the pattern shop tomorrow morning to review our masters before they're put to use, so expect additional updates shortly

• 5 weeks later...
The fittment is gonna be so good I will remove and reinstall it on weekends just for fun

Half the reason I'm buying the GS one when it's released is the turbo outlet adapter... I never have to mess with those bolts again. I'll remove it on weekends for fun just because clamps are so easy.

• 3 weeks later...
This was posted this afternoon by Grimmspeed.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/10/7cb918c485f7492678b54d4e00da32d6.jpg

All I see is an janky set up. He is using a hammer with a rounded (possibly eccentric) handle to hold the inter cooler flat while he welds it, recipe for disaster. Anyone ever heard of a fixture??? Not to mention the "clean" room being in the warehouse with visqueen plastic used to make walls.

Not sure how this is supposed to be impressive. Major bummer.

What is there to fixture? Other than the end tanks to the core, but he's clearly got one end tank welded already and is on his way with the other, so a fixture isn't going to do anything other than keeping it from falling over. Falls over, it gets scrapped (dent, bent fins, etc)... that's on GS. I'm not sure how not having a fixture at this point makes it any less of a quality piece.

Where I work, we only fixture things for welding long enough to get them tacked together and possibly half-way welded. It's just to set orientation to each other.

It looks more like a photo opp to me.

You typically want fixturing in a production run. It reduces variation and quality errors. In the end, it saves the business money and has higher yield.

Unless you bend the fixture. Maybe they learned from Stromung that the best fixture is none at all! Sigh. I just saw that exhaust in the basement again... At least I have access to a certified TIG welder and other fabrication services now. Maybe spring time.

Edited by compsurge

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=123b18acfcdb13bd9f5f528ae&id=de85b228f3

Welding - Pre-Production Units Complete

We were planning on waiting until Monday to send this out, but excitement has gotten the best of us! What you see here is the first pre-production TMIC welded up. What that means at GrimmSpeed is that these are production parts being used to verify our manufacturing procedures. Essentially, this is the finished product! Our process here is to weld a few full intercoolers and see how the materials behave in order to determine what the best welding method and fixturing will be. The castings are very clean, which means that welding can be very efficient - more good news.

You'll notice the small holes in the end of the inlet end tank shown above. Those are drilled and tapped for our pressure and temperature sensors. The outlet side has the same features. In the coming weeks, while we continue with production, we'll also be collecting a ton of data on how the TMIC operates in different conditions. This is data that we'll organize and share at the time of release!

What's Next?

Keep an eye out for our upcoming newsletters! In the next few weeks, we'll share with you the final CAD model, the splitter design and prototypes and the data acquisition equipment and test methods that we'll use to verify/quantify the performance of the final production intercoolers.

There's still a lot to do, but we are on track to begin production welding next month and with every day, it's looking more and more like we'll also be hitting our pricing targets as well!