LegacyGT.com

Audio system rocks!

offthacliff

Before I got the LGT I was dissapointed that I couldn't change the Deck... I produce/record music and do Audio Visual work for a living... My ears are good, I can listen to a tone and tell u the exact frequency. Anyway, I got my LGT today and I burned a "first drive mix"... I was pleasently surprised at how good the system sounds, I didnt get the sub (yet) but I was looking under the seat to see if there was one. I then was happy to see that I had control over not only High and Lows but Midds too... I had a $400 deck in my Accord and it didnt have this! Its got a six disc changer, so I can burn new discs all the time and rotate... I dont need an MP3 player in the car. The controls are all layed out nice and easy. I am pleased! Now I will add the USDM Sub and thats it for a while..... After I get my AccessPoint, Turbo Back, and Wheels, I will consider upgading the speakers and adding an inline amp. but for now... I dont need people to hear my music down the block.....I think it sound great.

I agree. I think it sounds really good and it is good to hear sopmeone with your background corroborate our opinion. I only added a sub to the system (and an amp to run it) though I pulled thousands of dollars in equipment out of my WRX that could have gone in to the LGT.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I've been an audiophile for 28 years and I agree with you. It lacks a bit of low bass (below40-50 Hz or so) but it is otherwise quite a clean and natural sounding system. Not world class but certainly adequate as far as car audio goes. I'm adding the sub soon and it should be just about perfect after that. It will not, however, play at ear busting, brain smashing levels or make the cars around you shake. I think most of the people complaining are the 20 year old crowd who want a system that plays really loud, has a ton of bloated bass, and annoys the whole neighborhood. They are looking for quantity over quality, they think it impresses people when they go boom boom, and they like to modify their systems with large amps and huge woofers. Goes well with the blue neon lights I guess :) Sly

Sorry, Gonna have to disagree with you guys. I don't produce for a living but I do for a hobby. I did allot of DJing and producing while in college. I've heard many PA and studio systems before also. I haven't looked to see what's actually behind the door panel yet but I'm thinking paper cone tweeters. The highs just don't right to me (cymbals, shakers, etc. etc.,) and overall the system just sounds kinda flat to me. This probably also depends on what kind of music I'm listening too but I listen a wide variety of music so I find myself making allot of adjustments when I change up music. I test drove a car with the sub installed and thought it was decent until I picked up my car. I found the car has almost the same amount as bass without the sub so I opted not to get it. I am 25 years old and I don't try to impress people with my "boom boom boom" or shake other peoples cars. I have a ProTools 002 setup on a Mac G4 with KRK V8 studio monitors to verify my qualifications with and older MISERABLE uptight people on this forum that always comment on us "younger folk". It seems like the few spoiled brats on this forum with Legacys their parents bought them give anyone under 30 a bad rap here :mad: . Anyway, it's good for a stock system but not being able to replace it really bothers me. OFFTHACLIFF, don't take any of this offensively.

Hey, I was saying that tongue-in-cheek. I know you're not all like that and there is nothing wrong with it if you were. As long as they are enjoying themselves and their cars and their blue neon lights, I'm happy for them. Doesn't mean I can't make fun of them though, and I'm sure they wouldn't miss an opportunity to make fun of an "uptight old fart" like myself any chance they get! :) Sly

[quote name='sduford']I've been an audiophile for 28 years and I agree with you. It lacks a bit of low bass (below40-50 Hz or so) but it is otherwise quite a clean and natural sounding system. Not world class but certainly adequate as far as car audio goes. I'm adding the sub soon and it should be just about perfect after that. It will not, however, play at ear busting, brain smashing levels or make the cars around you shake. I think most of the people complaining are the 20 year old crowd who want a system that plays really loud, has a ton of bloated bass, and annoys the whole neighborhood. They are looking for quantity over quality, they think it impresses people when they go boom boom, and they like to modify their systems with large amps and huge woofers. Goes well with the blue neon lights I guess :) Sly[/QUOTE] Ditto. People at Subaru can hear. The system in my '98 Legacy GT was also excellent sounding. Subarus have the only systems on which I can play my home-made cassettes or CDs with the EQ settings flat. This is goodness. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
I like the stocker too. I'm always amazed when people get all nuts about upgrading that stuff. When I was in high school, the only reason to put a new stereo in was if your old car didn't come with a cassette deck.

The 6-disc is starting to grow on me, but I still think the DAC and amp could use some work, let alone the stock speakers. It's not particularly low-fi, but there's definitely grain, lack of depth, and some dead spots in the frequency spectrum. Actually, I don't even have the sub and it's a bit bassy for me with the EQ all the way flat. It's got a Rotel-like sound, laid-back and neutral, it a bit flat. That said, I own a Rotel CD player, and I like it's sound, but not the Legacy's setup. It sounds about on par with my old car, which I never did get around to upgrading. In a perfect world where I wasn't still reeling from paying for the car with a check, I'd love to throw a Denon deck, Nakamichi amp, and Dynaudio speakers in it, but at this point I doubt it'll ever be feasible to even buy a replacement bezel.

[quote name='jedimaster']I like the stocker too. I'm always amazed when people get all nuts about upgrading that stuff. When I was in high school, the only reason to put a new stereo in was if your old car didn't come with a cassette deck.[/QUOTE] CASSETTE? We were lucky to get FM radios when I was in High School....we had to install "under dash" 8-tracks to get good "quality" audio....lol

I'm quite happy with it so far. The only thing that bothers me occassionally is the sub bottoming-out at 18-20 at VLFs. I just turn it down a bit, and no problem. I do have some Diamond Audio HEX components that I'm going to put in come spring, but my ears aren't bleeding so I'm in no rush. Then the vicious cycle begins, need to upgrade the low-end, need a crossover, etc etc.... Somewhat OT: Anyone else like the sound of kevlar drivers like Diamond Audio and B&W offer? I seem to be able to listen longer without fatigue and it sounds more natural...just my opinion.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='frontrangeSubie']CASSETTE? We were lucky to get FM radios when I was in High School....we had to install "under dash" 8-tracks to get good "quality" audio....lol[/QUOTE] Well, I went to school in the late 80's, so that was what we had- I remember the first guy to get a CD player in his car in my area- we all wondered why he'd bother when he couldn't make his own "mixes". No CD burners in our homes back then.

Jajajaja no offence taken; however, comparing a PA sound system and Nearfield studio moniters to a car stereo is apples and Oranges..... Buy the way the KRK V8s are Flat, muddy, and over hyped in the low end.... You should have got the Makies or at least the Event 20/20bas. I too have a Ptools/Cubase sxset up on Mac, but I also have vintage tube pre's and compression to make it sound good. As for the car... I dont disagree that the speakers could be replaced and crispness gained,(thats not a problem with the deck) as for 40-50hz Most people cant here below 80hz (feel maby), but I agree, I want a little more Low end too! Over all, for what it is, the system is great, try playing with your Eq settings and fader a bit. One more thing... I know it doesnt glow and change colors and dance but the Deck is layed out super ergonomic and fast... This is good for a fast car you dont wanna be fiddling too much with controls. I might use a realtime anylizer to test the frequency response of the factory system, when I have stats Ill post them.

[quote name='arcsine']The 6-disc is starting to grow on me, but I still think the DAC and amp could use some work, let alone the stock speakers. It's not particularly low-fi, but there's definitely grain, lack of depth, and some dead spots in the frequency spectrum. Actually, I don't even have the sub and it's a bit bassy for me with the EQ all the way flat. It's got a Rotel-like sound, laid-back and neutral, it a bit flat. That said, I own a Rotel CD player, and I like it's sound, but not the Legacy's setup. It sounds about on par with my old car, which I never did get around to upgrading. In a perfect world where I wasn't still reeling from paying for the car with a check, I'd love to throw a Denon deck, Nakamichi amp, and Dynaudio speakers in it, but at this point I doubt it'll ever be feasible to even buy a replacement bezel.[/QUOTE] denon deck... you got taste;)

Yes, my 13 speaker McIntosh system at first was "ordinary". However, after playing with the settings, I've got it setup such that I'm very happy, especially with the volume up. I'm certainly not going to spend money on replacing it, even if it was easy, which it ain't. [quote name='Th3Franz']I'd almost kill for McIntosh stereo components... :D[/QUOTE]

Let me just say I have heard worse upgrade systems like the 8 speaker Bose system in my old rx-8. My old wrx was amazing with optional upgrade speakers and a 10 inch Alpine sub in the trunk that had a 5 channel amp that powered all speakers. That was best sounding system I ever had. I think the Legacy's is decent, but not earth shattering by anymeans. I would like to see a better upgrade available from the factory down the road.

Archived