LegacyGT.com

So it was storming and hailing and I was trying to move my car and ended up sucking up water into my intake. My question is should I try to change the oil and take out the spark and let it dry and then crank the car... Or should I just call my insurance? Because I'm not even sure if they will cover it.

"Just driving along?"

What happened when it ingested water? Did it stall? Start knocking? Anything?

I didn't think insurance covered mechanical failures?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I would say they might...if there is flooding and its documented but not if you just drove through a deep puddle. Maybe a little more info will help. I find it extremely hard to believe that "storming" and hailing can cause this.
[

Well the engine stalled and i tried cranking the motor one time but it wouldn't turn over so I stop trying before the problem got even worst. Yes insurance does cover natural causes like tree falling onto your car or flood water submerging your car. Also Im from New Orleans and we are below sea level and bad rain storm is follow by flash flood water. It only takes less than an hour for the water to be above to my ankle. Some people around here had water in their house and the Walmart near my house lost their roof due to high wind and some tornadoes. A lot of down power lines everywhere and some street was blocked off due to power line pole laying across the road making it dangerous to pass. On top of that my house didn't have electricity for a good 4 hours and i actually posted the first post off my iPhone so i kept it short. Anyways here some links to the damage...

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2011/03/storms_takes_a_toll_on_terryto.html

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2011/03/gretna_womans_new_car_a_victim.html

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2011/03/tuesdays_storms_photos_video_a.html

also thanks for the feedback guys!!! Sometimes people have answer and opinion that are helpful but just dont reply and it makes u wonder how u get so many views and no replys. :)

Call insurance. Best case scenario they cover it 100% and fix it on their dime (minus the deductible), worst case they say you cause the water to get into the car (i.e. driving through a big puddle for fun) and you can then try to fix it on your own.

It seems like it was widespread and well documented, probably won't have any problems.

I had minor damage on my car from my garage door hitting my car during a tornado. I had to file a claim with my auto insurance, the repairs were slightly less than the deductible, BUT I got a free rental for the 4 days it took to repair and repaint the damage. That made up for, and since it was an "act of god" it didn't hurt my premium.

Yeah i kind of figured that, so I was wondering if changing the oil, taking out spark plugs, and get rid of the water would help the engine crank up again. I did give my insurance a call and Im waiting to speak to the adjuster after he looks at the car. The person I was making the claim with said they will probably just fix my car if its not totaled out. Which mean the damage is more than the value of a 05 LGT in excellent condition with 96k on it. Hopefully they will just give me a replacement motor so i can drop in a Sti motor.

What kind of intake do you have? I am assuming cai? If so I would put the stock one on before having it looked at, they might say that a cai(especially if the ones with filter down by the bumper) caused the water ingestion. Just a thought.

Archived