Edited by OmniEnder

8 stainless steel washers: $1.92

4 stainless steel bolts: $4.72

4 stainless steel nuts: $1.64

24" braker bar: $19.99

2 cans of liqiud wrench: $9.98

5 hours labor: $250

Hogzaust sound: Priceless

$250 for 5 hours of labor?? You paid someone to do this for you?

Sold: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #104 of 500

First, I doubt it.

Second, if he did, or did not, he was a fool to spend 5 hours trying to loosen 4 stuck bolts.

I would have just cut them off with a cutoff tool (air tool is best, but a dremel would work). Or just used a nut splitter to crack the nut off and pulled the bolt out that way. But...then again, this just could be a valuable life lesson, if he is like me, and does everything the hard way...

edit: BTW, P'Blaster > Liquid Wrench

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

lol, I figure I make about $50 an hour lol! and I've recently moved away from my shop and don't have a high enough psi compressor for pneumatics at my new place, and drilling out the bolt in those conditions is impossible, trust me the first thing I tried to do is fit a drill in there... no go. And my local autozone didn't have blaster or kroil... trust me I hesitantly went with liquid wrench.. I was about to just soak it in diet coke for like 4 hours!

Best part and update though... my wife said, "whatever the hell you did to the car... I like it." HAHAHAHAHA great success! this means a new turbo back in my future!

• 2 weeks later...

Did stage 2 about a year ago. Then decided to use some copper wire to seal the top half of both flanges (basically, formed the wire into half of a flange gasket shape). It basically sounds like stage 2 but with a little less resonance in the back area of my GT wagon.

Liked that for awhile. Got bored with the sound after a few more months,so went back to stock for a few months. Got bored again this past Thanksgiving weekend and went to put my custom Stage 2 back in. Couldn't find it. Looked in a few drawers and there it was. I put the custom Stage 2 (wire) back in.

Gotta love the Hog-zawst. Saves storage space when you don't want it installed.

(Ha! I've got the first Hog-zawst post of Dec 2009.)

Just did the hawg-zawst today and I love it. It's not quite as loud as I thought it would be (3 washers each bolt). I am not mechanic savvy at all but this seemed easy enough. I was not expecting the bolts to be that tight. Felt like they were practically welded on. I about gave up when I finally got one loose.

Anyhow 20 mins turned into about an hour and a half. I made sure to oil the nuts and bolts if I need to get to them again in the future.

I have a question though. I didn't remove the gasket cuz it was stuck on there pretty good and only coming off in small pieces. Is this going to be an issue? Is there good reason that I should get it off?

Take it off and if you decide to go back to stock, just get a new gasket. I would hate for it to start disintegrating and ending up with parts of it possibly inside the exhaust. They would get shot out anyway but I don't see a reason why you would not take the time and properly remove both gaskets.

yeah removing the gaskets makes it A LOT louder.

I did it without removing the gaskets first and initially it sounded good but I think the gaskets expanded and actually resealed the gap a bit over a period of about 6 months. so I pulled them out and finally got the sound I was looking for. any idea if there is negative long term effects on doing this mod?

thats funny...I never really had problems with that.

only time I get fumes is when myself or someone else spills some oil on top of the engine when doing an oil change. Which usually goes away after about a week of driving.

I think my car has a persistent oil leak :( at least it seems that way, I haven't checked it yet but have a feeling the new "Blue" oil filter is leaking but I don't want to go up to the dealer until the new year.

No....but I did try. It's just too bad that the muffler is RIGHT AFTER the cat, and it's connected by some funky thick oval solid pipe. No way to cut it and flange it, or anything easy. Would just defeat the whole "cheap and simple" idea. For my truck I'd get an exhaust...
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

• 2 weeks later...