LegacyGT.com

Suby factory sat radio coming...

Cardozo

Thursday February 9, 1:43 pm ET

Sirius, XM Satellite Radio Say Subaru Agrees to Offer Their Radios As Option for Some 2007 Models

NEW YORK (AP) -- Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. said Thursday that Subaru agreed to offer their radios as options for some 2007 models.

Sirius, which has radio supply deals with several carmakers including BMW, Ford Motor Co. and Audi, said Subaru of America Inc. will begin offering Sirius as an exclusive port and dealer-installed option this year in some 2007 model year vehicles, and as a standard feature in Subaru's 2007 Outback Sport special edition vehicles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning in May, Subaru will offer Sirius exclusively in the 2007 Subaru Forester. In August, Sirius radios will be available for the 2007 Subaru Impreza, the company said.

In a separate statement, XM Satellite Radio said its radios will be offered in the 2007 Subaru Legacy and Outback, as well as the B9 Tribeca sport utility vehicle. The special edition B9 Tribeca will feature XM radio as standard equipment.

XM said the three models comprised about 50 percent of Subaru's U.S. sales in 2005. Customers will be able to request XM as a port or dealer-installed feature. XM has partnerships with other car makers including General Motors, Honda and Hyundai.

see here

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060209/sirius_subaru.html?.v=2

how F'ing stupid is this?

Making separate deals within the product line with different sat providers?

If PDX or Opie is reading this and knows, please let us know the rationale for this decision

Giving a customer the choice is one thing, only offering one throughout the line is another, but just offering XM on the Legacy and Sirius on the Forester and Impreza is moronic.

I agree with Flavio, then they will have the same stupid HU that wont allow you to hardwire in sat radio if you want what isnt offered.

I seriously think SOA are idiots.

SOA is not a bunch of idiots... there is a business rationale behind all of their decisions.

The radios for the Japanese produced Impreza models are made by a different supplier than the US-produced Legacy models. Impreza/Forester models have Clarion stereos, and Legacy/Outback models have Panasonic stereos.

Clarion is already a Sirius hardware partner, and Panasonic is not. It probably just came down to a supplier contract between SOA and Panasonic.

Who cares either way... we are getting satellite radio. If you are basing your whole car purchasing decision on whether the satellite radio service is provided by XM or Sirius, you probably wouldn't be interested in a Subaru anyway.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060209/nyth124.html?.v=35

Subaru to Offer SIRIUS Satellite Radio in 2006

* SIRIUS to be Offered as Port and Dealer Installed Option on Subaru Forester and Impreza

* SIRIUS to be Standard on Subaru Outback Sport Special Edition

NEW YORK, Feb. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --- SIRIUS Satellite Radio and Subaru of America today announced that Subaru will begin offering SIRIUS as an exclusive port and dealer installed option this year in some 2007 model year vehicles. Subaru will also offer SIRIUS as a standard feature in the 2007 Outback Sport Special Edition.

Beginning in May of this year, Subaru will offer SIRIUS exclusively as a port and dealer installed option in the 2007 Subaru Forester. In August 2006, Subaru will begin offering SIRIUS exclusively as a port and dealer installed option in the 2007 Subaru Impreza. All vehicles installed with SIRIUS will include three months of free service.

"We are very pleased that Subaru has chosen to offer SIRIUS exclusively in these popular vehicles," said Doug Wilsterman, Senior Vice President and General Manager Automotive OEM for SIRIUS. "Subaru buyers will now have the benefit of experiencing SIRIUS' unique programming, including 100% commercial- free music, the best sports in satellite radio and talk show personalities like Martha Stewart and Howard Stern."

"Satellite radio has become one of the most requested options our customers ask for," said Rick Crosson, Vice President of Marketing, Subaru of America, Inc., "We are very excited about providing Subaru buyers with quality in-vehicle entertainment from SIRIUS to complement the unique performance and driving experience from Subaru."

About SIRIUS

SIRIUS delivers more than 125 channels of the best commercial-free music, compelling talk shows, news and information, and the most extensive sports programming to listeners across the country in digital quality sound. SIRIUS offers 68 channels of 100% commercial-free music, and features over 55 channels of sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather for a monthly subscription fee of only $12.95. SIRIUS is the Official Satellite Radio Partner of the NFL, NBA and NHL and broadcasts live play-by-play games of the NFL, NBA and NHL.

SIRIUS products for the car, truck, home, RV and boat are distributed by Alpine, Audiovox, Brix Group, Clarion, Delphi, Directed Electronics, Eclipse, Jensen, JVC, Kenwood, Magnadyne, Monster Cable, Pioneer, Russound, Tivoli and XACT Communications. Available in more than 25,000 retail locations, SIRIUS radios can be purchased at major retailers including Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, Costco, Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, RadioShack and at shop.sirius.com.

SIRIUS radios are currently offered in vehicles from Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep®, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln-Mercury, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Nissan, Scion, Toyota, Porsche, Volkswagen and Volvo. Hertz currently offers SIRIUS at major locations around the country.

Click on www.sirius.com to listen to SIRIUS live, or to find a SIRIUS retailer or car dealer in your area.

Any statements that express, or involve discussions as to, expectations, beliefs, plans, objectives, assumptions, future events or performance with respect to SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. are not historical facts and may be forward-looking and, accordingly, such statements involve estimates, assumptions and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Accordingly, any such statements are qualified in their entirety by reference to the factors discussed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2004 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Among the key factors that have a direct bearing on our operational results are: our dependence upon third parties, including manufacturers of SIRIUS radios, retailers, automakers and programming partners, our competitive position and any events which affect the useful life of our satellites.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I think it does matter, people buy cars because of a lot of different factors, and one could be a satellite radio, not me though.

I just would love to be able to replace the HU, and I have to confess that I didn't do my homework before I bought my LGT, which I wanted to much to replace the HU for an Eclipse NAV one....

:-(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

If it is dealer or port installed I'd think it'd be cheaper to us, the consumer, if we opted to install it ourselves. It should be a plug and play deal (tuner Box, antena under dash...) Besides, aren't there boxes available which allows XM to be played on a sirius (exp: Clarion) deck and sirius to be played on a XM (exp: Panasonic) deck? I could swear someone sells tuners and adapters which fully integrate XM into BMWs with stereos designed for Sirius

-RPM

EDIT: Here's one but I don't care enough to find others...

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1958

Actually smartass....

The main issue is to make it simpler for you, They had the capability to offer both on every car. They chose not to. If you read it, you would see that XM got the cars that represent 50% of subarus sales. THAT is a business decision.

Apparently Subaru didn't have the capability to offer both services in all models without a significant unjustified cost, or else they would have done it. Their decision was probably based on increased R&D costs and logistical limitations from their different suppliers in the USA and Japan. We can't expect a small company like Subaru to lose money in order to make an extremely small percentage of their market happy.

No auto manufacturers would benefit from retrofitting anything. You already bought the car, and more than likely you will buy another one. Not getting XM or Sirius isn't a deal-breaker when buying another car.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Archived