LegacyGT.com

Almost finished: 2005 Outback XT

jenzos

Tune is finally done after having to spring for an AVO TMIC because I watched mine just completely break at the endtanks.

2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited 5 Speed

160k miles, still in pretty good shape.

Motor:

Stock STi crank / rods (SB out of 07 STi)

Forged Manley 99.5 drop in pistons

Stock heads refreshed, everything set to spec

New passenger oil control valve

11mm STi Oil pump

New sensors - Oil pressure switch, Coolant temp, cam position sensors.

All new seals, headgaskets etc.

Infamous Performance turbo oil feed line kit

Killer B Oil pickup

Exhaust:

Tomei EL Header

Grimmspeed EWG Up pipe w/ Tial 38mm V-Band EWG

OBX / custom catback

Turboxs Downpipe

Turbo:

VF52 w/ Grimmspeed IWG Bracket

Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS

Fuel:

DW 65c Pump

DW 850 Side feed injectors

Trans:

Exedy Clutch

ACT Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension:

Worse than stock

Intake:

Stock intake

AVO TMIC

Stock BPV

1888498_10201750324743220_1716306342_n.jpg

71483_10201750325143230_1288554751_n.jpg

1891128_10201750325623242_1656358722_n.jpg

1002207_10201692837106065_8787134_n.jpg

1621794_10201692636821058_3814128_n.jpg

Video I can't embed

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=605791556175250&set=vb.142284982525912&type=2&theater

Big fan of the OBXT. Love them.

And nice parts list under the hood! It'll be a fun, capable beast once dialed in.

probably best to ditch that 9 year old TMIC though. Get a newer, fortified one to match all your engine/ turbo work.

Big fan of the OBXT. Love them.

And nice parts list under the hood! It'll be a fun, capable beast once dialed in.

probably best to ditch that 9 year old TMIC though. Get a newer, fortified one to match all your engine/ turbo work.

Working on it. Process West TMIC's aren't cheap and the shop I'm getting tuned at was :eek: towards AVO TMIC. I don't think it was a money making issue for them because I buy and install my own parts.

I have a 2nd attempt on Wednesday. The car is coming up with all sorts of nasty codes from the 850cc injectors. Misfire on everything.

Codes I gathered on the 2 hour drive home:

P0102 Mass or volume air flow circuit A low

P0301 Cyl 1 miss

P0303 Cyl 3 miss

P0304 Cyl 4 miss

P0113 IAT Sensor 1 circuit high

P0172 System Rich

:redface:

Guesses on HP/TQ #'s ????

:)

Intercooler blew up on the dyno. Last numbers were 264hp/300tq 2 runs in. Still plenty of tuning left to do... I should break 300whp (its a dynojet so I don't think its gonna be a problem)

Waiting on new TMIC to arrive.

Video in 1st post! I am a little unhappy on my numbers, just by looking at my mod list.

There is not much else I can do, run an aftermarket intake? I'm from the old school subaru crowd where we didn't need to change intakes until you wanted to run blow-thru / speed density or were at about 400whp

Video in 1st post! I am a little unhappy on my numbers, just by looking at my mod list.

There is not much else I can do, run an aftermarket intake? I'm from the old school subaru crowd where we didn't need to change intakes until you wanted to run blow-thru / speed density or were at about 400whp

Bite the bullet...ball bearing turbo. AVO380 for finale.

Suspension -> STi 6speed -> FP Black w/ STi manifold / FMIC & TGV Deletes :)

I just want an 11sec daily driven outback, that is all. :spin:

Suspension is a must! Just did BTS 5056 kit. Hadn't driven yet though. We've got very similar mod list in some respects. 300whp from VF52 seems reasonable? You have DW850 too so E85 would be a logical choice if available. I'm going that route. But what's the thinking with TGV deletes? More problems for negligible gain?

Yep, I'll be heading out to Colorado soon so I will get e85 accessibility. I hit 295whp on the vf52 at 17 psi, so once I'm done with the break-in I'll have over 300. Probably crank it up to 19. The car hauls ass as it is. Sounds nice and stock cruising and as soon as that Ewg opens up it's a whole different beast.

As for TGV deletes they are simple to do, cheap/free and tuners can get a few hp out of them and say driveability is much smoother. Also, some turbos do require them and I figure I am running out of bolt ons, it's time to start tuning for small hp increases.

What mods do you have tema?

Yep, I'll be heading out to Colorado soon so I will get e85 accessibility. I hit 295whp on the vf52 at 17 psi, so once I'm done with the break-in I'll have over 300. Probably crank it up to 19. The car hauls ass as it is. Sounds nice and stock cruising and as soon as that Ewg opens up it's a whole different beast.

As for TGV deletes they are simple to do, cheap/free and tuners can get a few hp out of them and say driveability is much smoother. Also, some turbos do require them and I figure I am running out of bolt ons, it's time to start tuning for small hp increases.

What mods do you have tema?

Thanks for clarifying for TGV deletes. I can now better see logic behind it. To be honest no first hand experience on those. Just thought to have negative impact to fuel efficiency and maybe on cold starting. Please share if experience on this.

My car is in bits now as turbo got stuck and ringland is broken. New 257 short block + EVO16G + DW850/65 + STI up + GESi cat welded to Invidia catless DP

Will have gasoline map for winter and E85 map for 3-season use. BB IC now but might consider GS TMIC once come out. Problem here is that yearly inspection may be a problem for tuned cars depending on how anal inspector is. Strictly speaking newer cars basically cannot have performance parts at all, so more stock it looks like better it is.

As for suspension; I hope BTS kit will turn car into a genuinely fun to drive. Changed also rear LCA bushings in front to Group-N as looking for more steering feedback. I have no interest to get parts for just sake of changing them. It's more a search for best bang for buck and and for specific targets.

With that being said, I'm not a huge advocate of TGV deletes,!like it must be done but it can help. Someone here will be able to talk more in detail about benefits or it sucks etc. It was one of those things that are for guys who are looking for bigger power... None of my subarus have been power cars. Usually tbe + tune and all cosmetic. As I get older I dot care about the look, I enjoy the motor builds.

Any reason for going smallish turbo? You want te faster spool & reliability? I am with you on emissions, I am currently catless and will have to weld on a cat here shortly :( besides my monster exhaust, my car looks stock. I'll try to upload a pic of my engine bay with the AVO TMIC. I might have to paint it black because I enjoy the sleeper look... At least with this car.

How hard was the LCA bushing install? Did you DIY? I have lost my access to a lift and the endless tools.

Any reason for going smallish turbo? You want te faster spool & reliability? I am with you on emissions, I am currently catless and will have to weld on a cat here shortly :( besides my monster exhaust, my car looks stock. I'll try to upload a pic of my engine bay with the AVO TMIC. I might have to paint it black because I enjoy the sleeper look... At least with this car.

"Small" is very relative indeed. 20 or 30hp more or less isn't going to make that much difference and I think that on pump gas anything bigger than 16G will have also a negative impact on performance in situations where power is needed unpredictably = DD. I was actually dreaming about 68HTA + E85 but in winter it would be laggy on pump. 16G will be plenty enought for snow and ice. Other killer was that 68HTA would be probably too much for stock short block. Cold starts and unplanned somewhat limited time for build pushed decision towards a new 257 block.

I started to dream about the new generation of turbos and so on and more power without significantly more lag. But in reality I think it's better to do that project in future on something else than DD. 350-400hp on crank is going to be seriously good IF dependable at same time.

How hard was the LCA bushing install? Did you DIY? I have lost my access to a lift and the endless tools.

Not hard at all and easy to do on jacks but requires two things;

- Hydraulic press

- Sleeve that has just a slightly smaller outer diameter to press out bushing. This is crucial as there is not much tolerance.

• 5 weeks later...

I would just like to say the car made a 1800 mile trip from North Carolina to Denver CO!

I wasn't planning on driving and was very nervous the whole ride but she did great. Except for the altitude and octane downgrade.

I had to school a 08-10 WRX hatch on what sleeper wagon's were all about somewhere in Kansas :) (with roughly 500lbs in my hatch. full larger sized craftsman toolbox, ej25, suitcases etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived