LegacyGT.com

Suspension Questions

I have checked the aftermarket thread and searched the forums a bit and now I realized it wasn't such a good idea because I have a million thoughts running through my head. I am converting my 99 LL Wagon into a budget auto/rallycross car and will be driving on a mixture of dirt and asphalt. I checked D2's website and while they have beautiful coilovers, $2k is more than the car is worth :lol: and a lot more than I want to spend. Here are my questions:

1.) I have read some things about people using Forester shocks because they give a higher ride height, but won't that increase my body roll on asphalt?

2.) If I do coilovers, do I want them to be able to raise my car vs. lower it?

3.) Are the expensive coilovers really worth it? This may be an obvious question, but $2000 is insane for a weekend rally car and I'm not exactly building a $100,000 WRC race car, or even close to it.

Thanks in advance. This is all a very new learning experience for me and the time I spend looking up everything about this car is absolutely disgusting, almost unhealthy. :redface:

New legacy kyb struts, outback struts if you want a little lift. Double check you don't need tophats for outback struts I don't think you do.

At least a heavy duty rear sway bar and endlinks.

That does the fat 2/3rds of it. Coilovers can lift but not much above stock if at all usually designed for lowered apps.

I'm looking at a similar setup with the stock ride height.

Thanks. I asked this question over at NASIOC and was told to get some good KYB struts, especially because too much modification will bump the car to the next class where I will most likely get stomped.

^this, Mod your car as per the rule book and the class you want to run in. For autox, you are gonna want to stay in the stock/street class. get the best fixed perch shock you can get. Koni is a good choice if you can get them. other than that, seat time and tires.

I looked up the rules of the RallyX in my area and they don't allow coil overs unless it was a factory option in the PA category. I'm going to track down some KYB struts and use factory springs and it will not bump me to the MA class.

Still stuck on that body work ay. I just sold my ricey 97 to some kid in Prescott. As soon as he turns 16 you'll probably see her mobbing around skate parks. Isn't the KYB's Just a pricey OEM spec replacement? The Outback was a legacy option back than therefore its stock? right? I would go with those imo. But If you like the base legacy KYB's tho its more pricey you can get them through autozone I know. They will make the warranty swap fast. Order the new ones grab em and go Instead of sending them and waiting for 2 weeks with a car with no struts or putting the old ones on while you wait.

Nah, running into issues juggling school, work, and home. It's almost finals in my classes and finishing projects at work have me working late and studying where I can, all while fitting in time to piece her back together. I got time before the RallyX is Tucson, it isn't until August/September. Not to mention, I'm chasing gremlins from a 17 year old who didn't know how to take care of a car. Minor things, but things that need to be done. I've contemplated Outback struts, as they technically are an OEM option. The lower stance is kinda growing on me, but I know it needs to be higher, either with bigger wheels or taller suspension. Took her for a test drive earlier this week after getting the front end pieced together. The suspension doesn't feel right and is rattling so it's definitely in need of replacement.

I put 205/45 r17 on my old 97 everyone thought it was lowered but it was just the tires. outback struts with xxx/45 17 would probably make a decent stance. If your allowed to change your wheels and stay within the rules. I'm pretty sure most newer wrx's run 225/45 r17. I'm looking at a few for my Impreza

Archived