LegacyGT.com

Questions on intakes

Been reading up and now its about time to start putting some money into my wagon. Can we run the wrx/sti intakes? They pop up on ebay searches, ive looked around here and the almighty google and cant get an diffinitive answer. I would love to get it ordered this weekend. And possible the speedyracer headers to go with it

If youre going for sound, removing that snorkus is what will give it to you.. pair that with a cone filter and it will sound noticeable..

heads up though, removing the snorkus will cause a MAF voltage spike in the lower RPM

yes, the 2.5L is the same EJ25D throughout the Impreza/Forester/Legacy from about '96.5-'98.5

but I can tell you right now, 250hp wont happen without a swap or turbo..even dudes running super high compression and built internals are barely-if at all reaching that..not to discourage you, but it'll end up more cost efficient with a swap

If youre going for sound, removing that snorkus is what will give it to you.. pair that with a cone filter and it will sound noticeable..

heads up though, removing the snorkus will cause a MAF voltage spike in the lower RPM

Please elaborate.

What is a snorkus? lol

I put the 2.2 pipe, and the cone filter in mine

yes, the 2.5L is the same EJ25D throughout the Impreza/Forester/Legacy from about '96.5-'98.5

but I can tell you right now, 250hp wont happen without a swap or turbo..even dudes running super high compression and built internals are barely-if at all reaching that..not to discourage you, but it'll end up more cost efficient with a swap

^^This right here. OP expectations might be a bit high. Think of it this way...the outgoing WRX was at 268HP crank (only 18HP more than your goals) with turbo at nearly 1 bar of pressure; the old 3.0 was NA at 250HP, but had relatively high compression and needed premium unleaded. The EJ25D is a good engine, but not 250HP good on its own. Even if you wanted to add boost, the 25D doesn't like it: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-engine-faq-turbos-mpg-engine-builds-engine-swaps-167968.html

Please elaborate.

What is a snorkus? lol

I put the 2.2 pipe, and the cone filter in mine

the snorkus... 'intake silencer' is the inner-fender box that sticks out in two places into the bay... connecting the airbox to the little black air thing about the headlight

Yeah was going to try and stay with a NA motor. Would the H6 bolt up fairly easily?

the H6 requires a lot of heavy modification to get it to fit in, the radiator and condenser end up being placed on a custom radiator support bar that extends into the bumper beam.. a couple dudes have done it before in the Legacys before though

the H6 requires a lot of heavy modification to get it to fit in, the radiator and condenser end up being placed on a custom radiator support bar that extends into the bumper beam.. a couple dudes have done it before in the Legacys before though

^^Anything is possible with enough will, time, and most of all...money! :lol:

To the OP: if you're looking for more power, then honestly it might be cheaper to save up and get a new or newer used LGT (if you're looking to stay in the Legacy line). Doing a motor swap or even converting from NA to forced induction could well end up costing you the same amount (counting cost of the car, labor, and parts). If cost isn't a factor, then disregard. Otherwise, just a thought to consider.

So I have the Cosmo racing adapter plate for my 96 and I removed the snorkus when I installed it but I knew nothing about the voltage spikes at low rpm.... I haven't noticed a decrease in performance, actually the opposite. Increase in pull, grunt, and mpg.

So what does the voltage spike do? Is it harmful and how do you fix it?

Archived