LegacyGT.com

97k miles on my 08. what should i replace?

you can start here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/has-most-miles-their-lgt-and-they-holding-upi-vol-200435.html

there is a regular scheduled maintenance you should be sticking to. you'll need to address things like your timing belt, water pump, drive belts, are you turbo? if so, you'll want to inspect that.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've heard some lasting over 100k. I replaced my first at 98k. it had a little shaft play in it, but definitely had some more time. replaced my second at 118k or so. it probably had another month on it if that. had some shaft play that was near hitting the sides of the turbo.

you could pull the DP and inspect the turbo, look for shaft play, check for leaks. if you plan on keeping the car, I'd consider swapping it out for another.

I'm bone stock (see my sig below). current turbo is a rebuild from 6starspeed.com. He also gave me $100 back when I mailed him my old turbo because the core was still good.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

all oem. I drive 60miles+ a day and it's fast enough for me;)

before i pull the dp, i'll need a gasket. i'm re-using the gasket from my old dp and i think that's why i can smell some oil when i accelerate.

everything still feels as good as when i got it, so i believe my turdbo is in decent shape. it flutters when it spools but thats about it.

there's alot to consider. I change my oil every 3-4k. that said, this last turbo at 118k or so was definitely burning oil. I still suggest pulling the dp and looking. if there is play in spool, you are going to want to swap it out. ignoring it will be the death of your engine when it goes.

what are signs of a bad turbo? mine seems fine, but i really don't know how to tell if it's breaking, besides noise, lack of power, or whatever

Learn how it sounds, mine had the P0011, P0022 CEL. then for the next 1000 miles or so it whinned, the day it whistled I stopped driving it and replaced the vf40 with a vf52 that was at 142,000 miles.

My engine was fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived