LegacyGT.com

just picked up an 08 2.5i, want to trade already

so i just got an 08 2.5i legacy, automatic. pretty basic car, with 25k miles and bumper to bumper untill 36k. i got it at a dealer auction, cost my $15,500. its a nice car, but it feels liike something my mom would drive. Im considering trading it in for maybe a an 07 manual gt with 25K miles. the dealer wants 20k for it. what do you guys think? i literally picked this car up last night, so ive had it for all of 12 hours. driven 35 miles in it. its black on black with cloth. the 07 gt is silver with black leather. what do you guys think the chances are of the dealer doing some sort of trade with me. maybe if i throw in another 2k?? but, i dont want to pay sales tax again... i would even trade it for another 2.5i, as long as its a manual...

im comming off a 2003 saab 9-3, big turbo, 210 hp fwd, auto. compared to that, this 2.5i auto with cloth and crappy stereo is unacceptable... i hate to be a spoiled brat, but money was def a concern, thats why i settled on the base. the saab's transmission went at 140k.

Did you not drive the car before you bought it? The 4EAT is a DOG of a transmission. Not to mention the N/A engine leaves a lot to be desired (I'm sure some N/A guys will disagree with me, but it's all relative to what you're used to and I've never had a N/A vehicle.) See if the dealer is willing to work with you, but considering you already signed papers and own it, you're going to take a hit on it.

You're probably still going to take a hit on it. That's another owner on the title of that car. You still signed papers and legally own that car now. It doesn't matter who or where you bought it from. I didn't even assume it came from the dealer with the GT. I'm just saying start shopping around if you think you want to get rid of it. See what you'll get trade in and private party. You didn't drive one before you bought one?!:spin::spin:

haha, nope... i drove a gt... thats been the case with all my cars tho. go into it blind to save a 2 or 3k. sometimes you hit, and sometimes you miss.

Sounds like a terrible idea when you're spending so much money on an investment you already know is one of the worst to make (a car). Well if you liked the GT maybe you should start trying to sell your 2.5i. Depending on your location (in the snow belt) it could be an easy enough car to sell. Some grandma would probably enjoy it;).

I don't think it's worth the trouble to trade in your 2.5i for a GT. If you'd done any research (didn't even have to drive it beforehand) you'd know that the 2.5i is much less sporting of a car than the GT. I say live with your mistake for a few years then consider trading in. Not like the 2.5i is a bad car.

Why would you buy a car because it was a good deal and you got it for wholesale? I don't see any point in buying a car you're not going to be happy with.

Wal-Mart has baby food on sale, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy it because its a good deal.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Bahhhh I got my 08 for the same price and miles from a dealer. I got the 2.5I cause of the gas and the classy look. I would never buy a car unless I have driven it for a bit and then think about buying it.

suburus are cheaper down south. here in new england, theyre a hot commodity.

there are tons of 2.5is at auction right now...

I can understand why he did it, I did a similiar thing w/ my Honda...I did it because I had to have a car when we lost our demo program at work....and I didn't want to look for a car...and I had to buy one in 1 day.

Meaning our dealers sell a lot more of them. These high volume dealers usually have more wiggle room to lower prices also.

I think someone needs to look over their econ 101 notes again. If they're in high demand the dealer can charge a more premium price. Dealerships aren't interested in giving you the car for any cheaper than they have to.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Did you not drive the car before you bought it? The 4EAT is a DOG of a transmission. Not to mention the N/A engine leaves a lot to be desired (I'm sure some N/A guys will disagree with me)

No disagreement--I'd rather drive the GT than my N/A.

That said, Bart, my manual 2.5i is fun to drive. I don't take down Mustangs or anything, but it's still a fun, "sporting" if not "sporty" car.

Maybe you can find someone nearby in the trade-mags who would literally trade their manual 2.5i for your automatic. Most American drivers hate stick--if you want one & would settle for a direct swap, maybe you can get lucky. :)

Have you tried putting the transmission in "sport" mode (tap it over from drive but not actually shifting) the car is a little more peppy in that mode and does respond a little better but by no means is it comparable to the GT. You may enjoy the car a little more this way....Its the only way I drive mine

Well this made my day :lol::lol::lol:

I love my GT, and i test drove it, and i got it for a steal. (insult to injury perhaps)

dude, youve got an 05... i could buy an 05 if i wanted to, but after the saab, i wanted a full on warranty as i want to have the car for more than 2-3 years... granted every ive ever had, all 3 of them, with this being the 4th, ive had for no more than 2 years. the saab was exactly 2 years to the week that i sold it. You never make out well on cars if you buy, beat em to shit, and then sell em. i want something i can baby and be proud of, hence the low mileage.

No disagreement--I'd rather drive the GT than my N/A.

That said, Bart, my manual 2.5i is fun to drive. I don't take down Mustangs or anything, but it's still a fun, "sporting" if not "sporty" car.

Maybe you can find someone nearby in the trade-mags who would literally trade their manual 2.5i for your automatic. Most American drivers hate stick--if you want one & would settle for a direct swap, maybe you can get lucky. :)

ive considered this... id even settle for something with 5k more miles as long as it was manual, and a direct trade, with no taxes. but on the other hand, i may just say f the bullshit and get a 330xi... everyone should make a dumb purchase at least once. plus, im 6'4", and the legacy is allot smaller than i expected.

financially it's an extremely poor decision to swap up cars like that

but i mean if you're a baller in this economy and can afford to switch up vehicles like that then do it up. the GT is definitely the superior car and a lot more fun with the power available and the turbo as well.

this is coming from a 2.5i owner, a 2.5i is what it is, i'm satisfied with it cause it's just a means of reliable transportation to me but you don't want to be stuck with for several years while you could be enjoying something else.

Archived