LegacyGT.com

Anyone review the '07 HU compared tp '05-'06?

itsme

Alot if talk have talked about the swap. But I have yet to here any reviews. Does WOW make a difference? Is the sound any better? Is it worth the upgrade? I now I can buy after market. I just like my 6-disc in-dash changer an I would like to be able to play MP3s.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Buy an '05-06 Outback VDC unit then.

I know that. That still does'nt say how the '07 sounds. Is it an upgrade in sound quality or does it sound just the same as '05-'06?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I had an 05 obxt and now have an 07 obxt. WOW is not that much of an ehancement. It only distorts the EQ curve even more by emphasizing the highs and lows (too much in my opinion). Since I've upgraded the speakers and added a sub and amp I never have the WOW on. But it is a matter of preference. Just go to the dealer and listen to one. If I remember correctly it's not cheap to buy a new factory radio. It might be better to add a OEM processor, amp, speakers, and get the aux input that way.

I'm only a 2.5i. I test drove a 06 2.5i before buying my 07. As far as sound quality, I couldn't tell the difference, but I don't think they have WOW in the 2.5i SE's. The 07 stereo doesnt rock the world, but sounds very good. I love the fact I can play MP3's, and am going to be upgrading to the factory XM. After I get XM, I'll let you guys know how that is.

ZMAN

WOW enhances mp3 playback just like on a portable mp3 player but it honestly doesnt make me go 'WOW', dont make that your reason for getting the HU or you'll be kicking yourself.

Still im quite impressed how good the stock speaker/stereo combination sounds in my 07, its better than my aftermarket JVC HU + infinity reference speakers in my old WRX.

Ed

SRS WOW is pretty decent and I've had many compliments from passengers. Bah, what do they know! It's boomy, very boomy in the bass and the tweeters are in your face with WOW turned on. WOW is very similar to BBE in that it adds depth/space to the overall sound. IMO it does a great job of creating a larger stage and blurring the image.

From what I remember of an SRS WOW article, it's more to create a blended stage, in that no matter where you're sitting it will sound good. Dolby and others are working towards 5.1 in vehicles and WOW is another version of this. So yes, with WOW turned on, passengers are appreciative.

However, this contradicts the need I and many others have for a strong front stage. The passengers are lucky enough to get a ride, their listening pleasure is secondary! If your are not an audio nut, then upgrade the hu if possible. Sounds like just the ability to play MP3's is what you really want. If you want to carry more music around, then get an mp3 player and a kit or go full out and do up the rest of the system while adding an aux port. :)

Archived