LegacyGT.com

Poor Mans BOV...

Before I go any further, I do not make any claim as to the HP gains or losses from this mod. and frankly dont care to hear any negative feedback about it, like "why would you do that?! Youre killing your MPG or HP" etc. Read the post and you'll see that this was a spur-of-the-moment thought that turned out kinda cool and may not be for everyone. Enjoy!

I was goofing off with a buddy while we were putting the motor back in his S4 and wondered aloud if my car would make the "pshhhh" sound like a BOV if I disconnected the recirc hose from the factory diverter valve (BPV) and plugged it. We found a cap to a "Brake Parts Cleaner" spray can and a clamp identical to the factory one but a tad bigger and removed the factory clamp and disconnected the hose. (The larger diameter one) Inserted the cap into the recirc hose and clamped it in place. The factory diverter valve is open a tad at idle so it idles like it has a cam and even stalled once or twice but other than that, its sounds pretty sweet. I dont know if I would leave it in this configuration for a long time for fear that the cap/plug would melt or deteriorate and I did get a CEL after about 75 miles surely due to the vacuum leak but I returned it to stock configuration and did a soft reset of the ECU by removing the neg. battery cable from the terminal for about 5 minutes and its been fine ever since. Just thought this may be something a few of the members might be interested in if say they dont have a BOV and want that sound for a day at a cruise-in or a show or something. Ill post pics if anyone wants to try it and cant finger it out.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, there are some downsides to this. If your are light on the accelerator, it gets kinda jumpy. Im guessing its because the air that would be recirculating is now being dumped into the atmosphere and the engine is trying to build boost or maintain boost. Secondly Ive also found that the car will almost always stall when coming down in revs if you are running the AC. As stated above, this may not be for everyone but I thought Id share anyway. If you eff up your car, I will not buy you a new one...

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

If you eff up your car, I will not buy you a new one...

Good disclaimer!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

For the record. This is a terrible idea, and you should NOT do this at home.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I tried this once and had terrible results actually. I tried to get on it and when it went to hit boost the car bogged down big time. It vented a little bit once and it sounded cool, but I'm pretty sure I was causing harm to the engine :(
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

When I want my car to idle like it has big cams, I just unplug one of the coil packs...

Sounds NASTY!

:lol:

I've always wanted cams, maybe i'll try this out...

http://www.stupid247.com/images/haters-gonna-hate.jpg

... I dont know if I would leave it in this configuration for a long time for fear that the cap/plug would melt or deteriorate ...

this is an eventual certainty.

but i'm in for pics of what happens when one of these hits an intake valve.

• 1 month later...
not to beat a dead horse.. i just did this in my garage for S**** and Giggles, and the car wouldnt even stay running so i cant see how or what the point of this would be.. my next question is how can you run a fully atmospheric BOV on your LGT? or is it even possible? and does it require a FMIC?

You can tune for an atmospheric valve.

But you shouldn't.

With the stock tmic I don't think I can move the maf sensor to after the bov.. how do you convert to. Speed density? I just started to read up on it it seems like a better system ie. Dirty mafs and having to. Worry about replacing the maf sensor if it goes bad.. any how to's or walk throught on the speed density? Is it something you can do in your garage do you have to buy any special parts?

Archived