LegacyGT.com

cd player upgrade

• I Donated

More specifically, manual has three knobs, one each for temp control, fan speed, and vent mode, plus a button for recirc and a button for AC. Auto has two knobs, one to select temp for the driver, one for temp for the passenger, as well as an LCD display in the middle and a bunch of buttons to set a series of other options.

The manual knobs are removable from the stereo trim, making it easy to get a new trim piece for an aftermarket stereo. The auto climate control is integrated into the radio circuit board, so you are stuck unless you get a unit from a 2007-2009, can find a separate circuit board (JDM double-DIN unit), or have the electronics skills to isolate the components and cut the PCB.

Mine has the manual as it's the 2005 2.5i base with absolutely no other options.

I looked and saw many things I like as an upgrade but I got two main concerns which I'm looking for suggestions from experienced owners.

1. If I change the head unit is that going to significantly decrease the car's value?

2. (I've never done a head unit upgrade as you can tell). Is there any way to get an upgrade that will integrate designwise/color wise with the existing setup.

Thankx again.

I'm sure you will get a lot of help in this forum in particular, but if you were to ask these questions in the interior/audio section I'm sure you'll get more responses (as well as have the ability to peruse threads to learn stuff)

As for your questions:

1. I'm pretty sure it won't affect the car's resale value much at all.

2. There are several dash kits available that keep the look as OEM as possible. Granted you're going to have a new head unit that, more than likely, will "look out of place" compared to stock.

Head over the the audio forum and you'll see a lot of guys' set ups with pictures.

The cleanest looking double din install I've seen lately is:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/scosche-double-din-install-pics-151877.html

post #3, pics 3 & 4

• I Donated
If you want something that looks the same as the OEM setup, get an OEM setup from an 07-08 Legacy (P-204UN is the model number). They are available cheap, have aux-in, play MP3 CDs, and are compatible with satellite radio and iPod/Bluetooth interfaces. Keep in mind that you will pay extra for the aux-in adapter (get it from SVXdc on the forum) and the iPod and/or BT interface. My iPod/BT was $190.

and your option is Ipod/BT OR Satellite IIRC, as it uses your Sat input as a feed.

As for losing value, you can simply keep your OEM unit and faceplate, so that when you decide to sell, if that comes up, you can offer to put in the OEM unit.

I do know that if you ever trade in to a dealer for a Guaranteed Trade Program it DOES decrease value. (luckily I had my OEM I swapped out)

As mentioned, check out the audio forum for lots more info.

If you want something that looks the same as the OEM setup, get an OEM setup from an 07-08 Legacy (P-204UN is the model number). They are available cheap, have aux-in, play MP3 CDs, and are compatible with satellite radio and iPod/Bluetooth interfaces. Keep in mind that you will pay extra for the aux-in adapter (get it from SVXdc on the forum) and the iPod and/or BT interface. My iPod/BT was $190.

How easy of a swap is that?

I never thought of it.

• I Donated

Completely plug-and-play. But you do need the aux-in cable from SVXdc if you want to use that feature. I still haven't bought mine, because the iSimple Gateway does everything I need for the moment.

(Of course, I have the P-204UH, which is the auto-climate-control version. But same basic idea for the manual one.)

Completely plug-and-play. But you do need the aux-in cable from SVXdc if you want to use that feature. I still haven't bought mine, because the iSimple Gateway does everything I need for the moment.

(Of course, I have the P-204UH, which is the auto-climate-control version. But same basic idea for the manual one.)

Alright... can you noobafy that for me?

Right now my iPod is hooked up via an FM modulator. Far better than an FM transmittor but it still sucks big time. All I'm really looking for is the ability to hook my iPod up via a 3.5mm jack - direct aux in.

Sounds like that's something I can do with the P-204UN

As for noobafying it for me....

If you could do it differently, what would you do?

As I have no clue how to install these safely and the average one way install alone runs $160(for a simple head unit)-$310(6 way cd changer.etc) in my town and as you guys mention even the best upgraded unit decreases the car's value I will stick with what I got.

If it's a direct plug and play, it's as simple as unplugging your current headunit and plugging in the new one.

There are many threads with detailed walkthroughs and pics explaining how to do this.

• I Donated

So the cost for the SVXdc adapter is $35, and then you need a standard 3.5mm-minijack to 3.5mm-minijack cable (~$5-10 if you buy, $0 if you have one lying around from some old speakers like I do). You can then run the aux-in cable to a convenient location (I'm planning on using the center console -- I drilled a hole in the bottom already for the iSimple Gateway iPod interface) and use that.

I saw someone selling a P-204UN on here recently for like $15, but I think it sold already. You literally take your old unit out, unscrew the climate control knobs, put them on the new unit, and plug the new unit in. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

Just for the heck of it I called the dealer about the whole 2008 switchover. Based on my vin number for a 2.5 i base model 2005 legacy to upgrade to a better 2008 head unit model I would need the head unit to the tune of $600ish retail(ok can get cheaper) plus new wiring??? to the tune of $1600??? and significant labor as the whole dash needs to be torn apart to make the swap work. Either my dealer's parts department person really had no clue or I misunderstood the suggestion about the 08 head unit here.

Just for the heck of it I called the dealer about the whole 2008 switchover. Based on my vin number for a 2.5 i base model 2005 legacy to upgrade to a better 2008 head unit model I would need the head unit to the tune of $600ish retail(ok can get cheaper) plus new wiring??? to the tune of $1600??? and significant labor as the whole dash needs to be torn apart to make the swap work. Either my dealer's parts department person really had no clue or I misunderstood the suggestion about the 08 head unit here.

That's your first mistake, calling the dealer. Find one used in the classifieds here, eBay, craigslist or just google products. From what I've read (I haven't done it my self, but I've been researching the crap out of it), it is completely plug and play. Meaning, Subaru used the same chassis side harness for the 2008 HU as they did for the 2005 HU and just changed the HU's capabilities. So there is no wiring associated with it. Dealers, in my experiences, regardless of car brand, will always try to bend you over for every part.

When I hear plug and play, I think: remove radio bezel, unscrew radio mounting brackets, remove and unplug old radio, plug in new radio, screw into brackets, replace radio bezel, rock out.

As with any electrical work, as a precaution I always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. If it's PnP and you don't need to splice/cut anything then you shouldn't NEED to, but it never hurts.

• I Donated

I didn't even disconnect the battery. Seriously, it's completely plug-and-play. And it's always a mistake asking dealers for prices on parts -- as I said, these things are available for well under $100 on here.

The one step BigTDogg left out was taking off the climate control knobs from the old stereo and putting them on the new one. Not hard, though.

'08 units come with Aux in (3.5 mm) preinstalled in cubby beside power port. IIRC there is an extra plug on the back of the unit that it plugs into, so you should be able to get a seperate wiring harness just for that.... but I'd check out the Audio sub-forum, there is probably lots of info for what you need to do a simply plug and play conversion.

• I Donated

As I said, you need the adapter that SVXdc sells. More information can be found on this page:

http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm

But, you need to contact him specifically asking for an adapter to hook up aux-in for a 2007+ stereo in an 05-06.

It's much harder to use the stock parts for aux-in. You will need a new center console cubby, the actual minijack panel and circuit board to go in it, and a harness that you would need to get from Subaru (and the Legacy harness won't work, you need the Impreza one IIRC). Much easier to go to SVXdc.

Archived