LegacyGT.com

walmart everstart sucks!

1-3-2-4

yeah yeah I'm going hear it...

anyways long story short since I've posted this at two other sites..

my interstate battery that came with this car i brought was slowly loosing it's life so when the battery hit the dust I needed a replacement quick all the other repair stores were closed at the time.. anyways the battery was fine for a month or so So almost into my 2nd month of the battery the car no longer starts but the battery voltage shows 12.3V

So you ask what happens when you crank it? Nothing really... No click because as soon as you turn the key to start the car everything dies and the battery voltage drops down to like 3.5V then quickly comes up to 12.3V after you turn the car off..

So... turning things on like the blower fan would cause the lights on the dash to dim, and before you ask I checked the voltage from the battery and the POS to the ground of my car and I have no odd issues and it reads the same as from what it is direct from the battery.

Last time I checked my alt was putting out around 15V when the checked the day i dropped the new battery in...

How is it possible for a battery to keep 12.3V but have no cranking amps to turn the starter?

I should of went with the optima red top in the first place and I will be buying a jump pack just to keep handy.

I actually bought the higher level Everstart from walmart for my 07, and it was better than the OEM.

I had the same problems with my 95, though. No matter what battery I used, that friggin car would kill at least a battery a year. And, there were no charging problems.

It finally got to the point, that Sears wouldn't even let me return the battery because the lady finally caught on and claimed my car was killing their batteries.

So check this out....

I jump my car and get it started.. I check the alternator and at high idle the voltage reads 14.80V

OK...

So I get in the car and I turn on my high beams just to check something out and that's when something odd happened.. the car dipped in speed nearing 500 rpms for a split second then came back up to idle speed.. also since I had my door open the open door incator light also dimmed along with the drop in engine speed.... so I turn on my low beams and same happened as well... so after letting the car run for about 6 min I took it around the street with no ill effects...

Starter started up fine by the way, however the car would not start after i turned the car off so I'd need another jump...

who can explain this one?

It sounds like it has a bad cell in the battery. when it has a bad cell the battery will show the right voltage but it can't handle a load like cranking the starter.

If it is only two months old the battery is defective and you should be able to get a replacement.

Archived