LegacyGT.com

Busted tire at 7/32" - replace 1, 2 or 4....

amp583

Just busted a tire and need to replace 1, 2 or 4....

Currently have Pirelli P-Nero Zero All Season at 7/32" left.

Each tire is $130'ish....

3 of the 4 tires are at 7/32" tread depth however showing inside wear from bad alignment possibly. They're not terrible but not looking good either. Images are attached.

Should i buy 1 tire, shave to depth?

Buy 2 tires on the same axle run them like new?

Buy all 4 new tires?

or other...

*Can a mod please move this to general - wheel & tire, i made a mistake!

IMG_4784.JPG.e013af9e0e27d749f8e10c6bc824d136.JPG

IMG_4783.thumb.JPG.c2f23359d7439f0501305166c4f94344.JPG

IMG_4782.thumb.JPG.86fa10d1a0e874981c734a0070daacd2.JPG

Good discussion (and circumferential math thesis) here. It's not 1/4" of tread difference, it's 1/4" of circumferential difference. Definitely not the same, and you'd be surprised at how much difference even 1/32" of tread can impact circumferential difference.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

when I damaged one of my supersports (all with even wear), my tire guy insisted I replace them all. It was sucky since they were nearly new. You have to pay to play.

With regard to SBT's math and the destruction of diffs, I've gone thru 2 center diffs and an unbelievable number of wheel bearings while tracking my wagon. I set the tire pressure different for every corner (changing the circumference) and then run it up to the limit. The center diff was frozen when the shop replaced it the last time - couldnt even turn it when it was in a vise.

That's some funky looking shoulder wear in a few of those pictures.. I'd be interested to hear what is causing that kind of wear. There's a guy named capriracer who occasionally posts over at bobistheoilguy.com, he worked in the tire industry for a long time and knows a lot about tires.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/41/1/Tires_&_Wheels

Archived