LegacyGT.com

Camshaft Gear removal??

I need some help here, taking apart my Son's EJ255(out of car) for a complete rebuild. How in the heck does one remove the 10mm camshaft gear retaining bolts? I have broken 2 "unbreakable" 1/2" drive 10mm tool's trying to get the bolts off, Cams are secure, not slipping, hard surface, even tried Impact Gun, No Joy. Anyone have any trick's?? I'm open for anything!

Thanks

Mac

Thanks, I will go to the store tomorrow to get some mew "unbreakable" tools. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something stupid. I tried with a 1/2" breaker bar and a 3' pipe, Son holding engine steady, Broke 10mm snap-on bit, smashed said leverage bar into face, saw a shitload of * * * * floating around... Used impact, supposed to be 380ftlbs breakaway Q, 140psi, short hose, 20 seconds, broke the Craftsman too. Cut an Allen wrench about 2" long, tac welded in a 10mm 1/2" drive socket, impact gun, NOTHING!! Need a bigger impact gun!

Mac

Or save yourself a lot of time and effort, and cut the bolt head off.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 5 years later...

They make proper tools so you dont have to attempt to hold the pulleys with an old belt. Also, it does not always work. Many, many times we have to weld a nut onto the end of the bolt in order to remove them. Needing propane torches is also not unusual. Outfront motorsports has probably the best You tube vid on the subject if you feel frisky.

Welcome to the forum, your just about 15 years late to the party of the EJ cam bolt issues.

Archived