LegacyGT.com

Starlink Head Unit Removal- Schematics

Since I'm considering replacing the head unit this summer, I removed it to see what was in the back and what the connectors look like.

Full photo album can be seen here : http://1drv.ms/1BnQskr. Lots of good pics.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/20150124_154108751_iOS_zpsdee33589.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/20150124_154543093_iOS_zpscba29f66.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/20150124_155816709_iOS_zps34e4702a.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/SubaruStarlinkInfotainmentSystemPinOut_Page_1_zpsa61d39c2.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/SubaruStarlinkInfotainmentSystemPinOut_Page_2_zps8e3e65a3.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curious...what are replacing it with and what additional features will it provide? Will the replacement unit provide all the Subaru car functions?

That's yet to be determined. Likely the top Keenwood Nav, but I'm waiting on them to integrate Apple CarPlay. As far as all the car functions, I'll likely lose some, but none I actually use. I did this more at this point from my info purpose and that of others who was wanting to scratch that itch.

That's yet to be determined. Likely the top Keenwood Nav, but I'm waiting on them to integrate Apple CarPlay. As far as all the car functions, I'll likely lose some, but none I actually use. I did this more at this point from my info purpose and that of others who was wanting to scratch that itch.

Yikes! [URL="https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/"]Apple Car Play[/url] looks great. I'd swap out for that if it could still do all the Suburu car functions like the Eco-Monitor etc.

The killer app is Google Maps for me but I wonder if Apple would let Google Maps work vs. the sludgy Apple Maps?

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/20150124_155741016_iOS_zpsf68a0cf8.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/20150124_160232098_iOS_zpsafea719f.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah65/paul_duncan2/Subaru%20Infotainment%20Removal/20150124_160342599_iOS_zpse5a4e77b.jpg

Lets try bypass the ebrake signal and phone/nav usage during transision. This is done in the brz forum guys has the same fujitsu ten HUD older model, but I think it's very similar.

Looks like you cut the #15 from connector B and jump/tap that wire to the #7 ground on connector A.

- This way you'll be able to play MP4 videos while driving.

As for the transition sensor by pass look like the BRZ guy was able to put a toggle switch on between the line #17 on connector B.

- This allow you full control of your HUD during transition, like navigator, etc...

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Do you have the Harmon Kardon system? if so, how are you planning on integrating with the factory amp?

I just have the standard system. However, If I did I would likely bypass the amp. Does not make since to me to piece meal a system.

I just have the standard system. However, If I did I would likely bypass the amp. Does not make since to me to piece meal a system.

The problem is integrating 12 speakers into a standard head unit would be a trick. I'd be curious to see if 1) the stock amp could accept low voltage pre outs or 2) the stock amp could accept high voltage outputs.

That also brings up the question of where the processing is done, as there's a center channel in the HK system.

Hmm.

OP- Thank you for taking and uploading those pictures!

Did you take pictures of the back of the HU with everything unplugged, and of the USB harness plug?

And is the model number on the front "FB644UM"? (below and left of the APPS button).

I obtained printouts of the audio wiring diagrams from a local dealer, and have determined most of what you would need to install an aftermarket HU. It's much the same as cars with Subaru's previous Fujitsu Ten nav HUs -- see this page.

One difference on the 2015 models with 7" screen is the camera is on a new 5-pin socket. I don't yet have a matching connector to fit the car's harness plug. On cars with the 6.2" screen, the camera connects via the HU's 28-pin socket. I'm still nailing down the pin-out for that. I'll be able to provide a harness to retain aux, SWCs, VSS, reverse gear, etc. when you install an aftermarket HU.

The 2015 HUs have a new connector for USB. I haven't identified the manufacturer, but I'm hoping it's something found in other recent Toyotas (which would mean Metra and other companies will come out with adapters, if they don't have one already).

Subaru also changed the plugs for the XM and GPS antennas. But there's a chance that there are still plugs down at the floor below the HU with the same connectors used in previous years (for which you can use older OEM "feeder cords" to patch to an aftermarket HU's Motorola AM/FM socket and a Sirius/XM tuner module). Need a 2015 owner to take a look down there to see. Compare to the pics in this thread.

For GPS, you would need to switch to the new HU's GPS antenna (as is the case with previous years). The OEM antenna is above the instrument cluster, and not difficult to swap out with your new one.

Will [an aftermarket HU] provide all the Subaru car functions?

As far as all the car functions, I'll likely lose some, but none I actually use.

That's an interesting question. What are all of the non-radio/audio-related functions that the OEM HU does? Do those include anything that people would really care about?

Anything that requires data communication with the car will very likely be lost. Because of Subaru's small market share, it's usually not worth the R&D expense for aftermarket companies to design products to interface to a Subaru (as they have done with some Ford, GM, and Toyota models).

The rear camera is one thing that people will definitely want to retain. Fortunately, that's relatively easy to interface to an aftermarket HU -- you just need to get the camera's composite video signal and car's 12V reverse gear signal into your HU, and supply 6V (or possibly even 12V) power to the camera.

The problem is integrating 12 speakers into a standard head unit would be a trick. I'd be curious to see if 1) the stock amp could accept low voltage pre outs or 2) the stock amp could accept high voltage outputs.

That also brings up the question of where the processing is done, as there's a center channel in the HK system.

The new 2015 HUs still only send 4 main speaker channels to the h/k amp [ADDED: not quite correct for 2015 Legacy/Outback; see my posts below, starting 9/5]. All of the DSP is done in the amp. That's the same way it was done in all of the previous h/k systems.

In previous models, the OEM HUs send high-level (amplified) signals to the h/k amp. People have done the same with aftermarket HUs and had it work. But some found that sending line-level signals worked better, so I now recommend going that route.

If you don't want to bother replacing the h/k amp with multiple amps to drive all of the OEM speakers (or want to hold off and do that down the road), it's actually not bad to just replace the HU.

• 1 month later...

I looked over Subaru's audio system wiring diagrams again. Noticed that the 7" HUs (without and with h/k amp & speaker system) have 2 leads which connect to the A/C Control Panel. The 6" HU doesn't have those leads.

The A/C control panel is a separate unit (thankfully). So what does the HU display or do with respect to the A/C system? If you remove the HU, would you lose anything that you really need?

I looked over Subaru's audio system wiring diagrams again. Noticed that the 7" HUs (without and with h/k amp & speaker system) have 2 leads which connect to the A/C Control Panel. The 6" HU doesn't have those leads.

The A/C control panel is a separate unit (thankfully). So what does the HU display or do with respect to the A/C system? If you remove the HU, would you lose anything that you really need?

You can use voice command to run HVAC on the car. Would that be the reason for the connection?

You can use voice command to run HVAC on the car. Would that be the reason for the connection?

I disconnected the head unit this weekend. It looks like the only thing that connects the head unit to the AC controls is the voice command to control the HVAC. Everything else seems to work as before with one exception. When you first enter the car there is a welcome "tune" when the Legacy symbol is displayed on the small screen located on the instrument cluster. That "tune" is gone. It appears that may be the only things that are missing, at least with the unit that is 7" non nav. All of the warning chimes still work, so they are not run through that.

Also SVXdc, I have posted some new pictures at the end of my album http://1drv.ms/1BnQskr that show more detail of the Read View camera plug and wiring showing color and pin placement. One of the pins is unused. This might not get you any closer, but I hope it does.

• 2 months later...

Anything can be replaced, but you will loose full connectivity.

BTW the HK Infotainment system is A+ for this class of vehicle unless you listen to non acoustic music. Pop, Jazz, Big bands, Swing, Classic, Masters, even Country it is hard too beat the quality of the sound and pitch.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Guest rayms69
that is good to know, i was wondering what exactly was good in your eyes. I think the stereo is pretty good for the price i paid. Usually i replace oem stereos, but no need this time, good enough for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent post, thanks for the diagrams...

For an aftermarket amp, what pin would one tap for the "remote on" wire to turn on the amp?

In my case I have the 6 speaker non H/K setup...

Thank you =)

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

• 4 weeks later...
Just tried using the Scosche TA02B and TA02RB harnesses to bypass the factory H/K amplifier, and had sound, but no volume control. I don't see where the head unit is a CAN BUS style that would let the factory amp control volume, but am scratching my head on why the head unit volume control didn't work. Was hoping to get everything swapped out this weekend, but looks like I may have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

Archived