LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

ARGH!!!

so here's the deal. first i tried grounding the ipod pac cable to the stereo case. worked for a while, then stopped working. then i tried splicing it to one of the ground wires. started to work, but then fail again. i THEN tried to ground it to one of the bolts near my shifter. this seemed to be the perfect solution for about a month, but when i got into my car today, it doesnt charge.

...anyone?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ARGH!!!

so here's the deal. first i tried grounding the ipod pac cable to the stereo case. worked for a while, then stopped working. then i tried splicing it to one of the ground wires. started to work, but then fail again. i THEN tried to ground it to one of the bolts near my shifter. this seemed to be the perfect solution for about a month, but when i got into my car today, it doesnt charge.

...anyone?

There are ground sites that look good, but aren't - one near the

shifter in fact. Look for a vertical steel member (heh, heh, he

said "member") back BEHIND where the head-unit sits. THAT one

is good - I am using it to ground an always-on 20-amp lighter

outlet (for an inverter) - and it has some holes in it that you can

put a bolt+nut into.

Edited by RustyShackleford

• 2 weeks later...

Jazzy,

Received your product a week ago and just started and finished installing it tonight. Perfect instructions, couldn't have been easier! The only problem I face now before reassembling my dash is where to put my Harman Kardon Drive+Play 2 display! Argh!

Thank you very much!

-MikeH.

Hey if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

Tried to install an ipod pro kit yesterday. Everything went smoothly but when it came time to test it, the cd player now will not load cds. I attached the harness and the cd played started counting cd's exactly like the instructions said it would. But I hit load, insert the cd and nothing happens.... Did I break it? Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks

Is the CD actually in the player? If so, remember that it's a silent CD. You won't hear anything until you play something on your iPod.

I installed the Pro harness back in January and absolutely love it. I even figured out which wires to splice in order to have my iPod touch to charge while the engine is on. I can't say enough about it!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. The CD changer worked fine before, then didn't load CDs after the installation. Apart from installing the cable ribbon, I didn't touch the CD player. When I removed the kit, it still didn't work. Since the car was still under warranty, the dealer replaced it. I haven't tried to reinstall yet, so I'm not much help except to comiserate with you and tell you I had the same experience.

My experience with this product seems to be the opposite of everyone elses. I've found the customer service to be rather poor. I recognize he's a private guy, but there's no way to contact him other than email. Then emails are returned VERY slowly. I had my dash apart one week while I waited for him to get back to me. I figured out the instructions, but they weren't as clear as they should be. See my earlier post and you'll see that the item I received looked very different than the item in the instructions. If can appreciate if Nate chooses to not have a phone number or customer service help, but that places increased importance on the accuracy of the instructions and quick response to email. This hasn't been the case for me.

After spending several hours on this, I still don't have it installed yet.

I am wondering if the ribbon cable was installed backwards?

I would verify it is installed correctly and fully inserted on both sides of the board.

If it looks correct, I would suggest what the other poster did if your vehicle is still under warranty. Maybe something is wrong with the radio.

There are so many things that can go wrong taking apart a radio - it's a small miracle that everyone doesn't run into a problem somewhere. That said - I'm doing my best and most people complete the install without issue. The most common causes of an unresponsive CD player after install are:

1) Ribbon cable is not fully inserted, or inserted backwards. This should be a dead giveaway as soon as you plug the radio harness in - if you don't hear the CD changer start up and count all the CD's - it's not getting power & so there's no connection.

2) If the CD changer does start up and it tries to load a CD, but it doesn't work - 100% of the time so far, it's caused by a long screw being inserted where a short screw was...I believe the 4 on the face of the cd changer (with the control circuit board removed) that can cause this problem for Legacy owners and there is a screw on the side of the impreza radio that can cause a similar issue.

3) If it loads the CD and everything seems fine, but you're not hearing any audio - it could be a bad Silent CD. I had several corrupted CD's go out a few weeks ago unknown to me, but luckily this one is also easy to fix - I wrote a walkthru for creating a new silent CD on this site: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=379369&postcount=381

If you can hear the aux-in sound with another music CD playing or with the radio on, then you've definitely got a bad Silent CD.

I apologize for the late responses to emails and slower shipping. My new job and longer commute just doesn't give me much free time anymore, but I do care and I am trying. Lastly - I know some people prefer to talk to someone, but my hours available to talk on the phone are very limited and honestly - given a few minutes, most people can figure out the answer to the question without a phone call anyway. Having an email you can come back to and reread is more useful IMO - regardless, it's the best I can offer right now.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Jazzy,

I ordered a iPod pro kit from you back in 2007 and love the product. I ended up upgrading from a first gen itouch to a iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G is not compatiable with the old kit. I want to be able to both charge my phone and play via the line in (not through the headphone jack - currently the only way I can play it). What do I need to order to get all my functionality back with the 3G iPhone?

Thanks,

RipxLGT

RipXLGT,

All you need to replace is the iPod docking cable with the newer version that supports the iPhone 3G and latest gen Touch. It's available separately on my site here:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=51

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

How hard is this if you dont know what the hell you are doing at all and can barely plug a lamp into a wall without shooting sparks?

The directions look great but I'm doubting any skills I might have.

Shooting sparks wall lamp might be cause for disqualification...

...that said, I've seen and heard stories of many, many people with absolutely zero experience managing this install without issue. If you're really that uncomfortable though - you should probably enlist the help of a friend.

Failing the availability of a friend and in the presence of apocalypse inducing skills - you could also *pay* someone to install it, although honestly - I hear of more problems from "professionals" screwing things up than owners who are complete novices...often, I think they rush it and don't bother to get things right.

Take your time - have patience - and anyone can do it.

Agree with JazzyMt, I sat with the parts for 6 months as I was nervous to take my car apart. I attempted it. Needed an extra pair of hands as a screw or plug was difficult to get out. Therefore agree with Jazzy, get a friend to assist in case you have the same issue I did. I took 2.5 hours to do it, because I would go over the instructions 2x to make sure I got it correct. No issues in the install!! Go for it! You can do it if I can!

I wrote back in April that I thought I broke my cd player but somehow it fixed itself. I didn't touch it for a few days and when I went to try it again and it worked. No idea what the problem was but now it works perfectly. I couldn't be happier. Thank you

If there is anyone in the NYC metro area that has had success I would like to be your friend. If you are within 75 miles in any direction from NYC and have successfully installed this great product I'm willing to pay for your help. Please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got mine today as well. Really not all that hard to do. Got it in from start to finish in less than 2 hours. I am very impressed with the quality as well as the sound. Fast shipping. Great product and money well spent. Thanks for this awesome alternative to not being able to listen to my iphone. Edited by dwood1111

Installed mine today in about an hour. I must say, I was a bit intimidated when I looked at the instructions. It wasn't bad at all!!! It sounds great and, best of all, no more carrying around huge cases of CDs.

Thanks JAZZY!!!!!! The lack of Aux input was one of my very few disappointments with my LGT. PROBLEM SOLVED :)

Hey Jazz,

I'd like to buy the Pro ipod Kit. At the risk of sounding cheap does it cost less if I go through paypal and don't use your site? Also is feedback an issue just with the ipod charging and playing? I don't have anything else running(besides the engine of course)

Thanks,

Derek

The prices are actually lower on the site for the pro kit, by $2 - or at least they were. I finally fixed the price here on LGT. Otherwise they were all identical - they just look different because I included shipping in the price here & you don't see it on my site until you check out.