LegacyGT.com

CVT transmission fluid - I messed up big time

Smh....where to start. I changed my mom's oil yesterday off her 2012 Ford Escape. No issues other than getting the damn oil drain plug off but other than that things went smoothly.

Minutes ago I went along with the same procedure for my 2014 2.5i. To make a long story short, the oil drain plug seemed to be located at the same location as my mom's Escape so naturally I unscrewed that one and the fluid came out green. "GREEN!?" I thought..."wtf." Turns out to be the CVT fluid if I'm not mistaken.

According to the owner's manual, there is no fluid level gauge for CVT models and to find out what sort of CVT fluid is needed it just says something along the lines of "contact Subaru." The car is being financed and still has 3 years of payments to go. Give it to me straight, am I completed f*cked? Is my warranty violated? What happens if it is?

I was thinking I'd take it to my down to my buddy who has an auto garage down the street but I'd probably need a tow....someone please HELP!

if the oil pan was clean/new and fluid was not contaminated you could filter the fluid and put it back in the transmission.

i have no idea what the capacity of fluid for your car is... but its probably less than this tub o fluid.

http://parts.cioccasubaru.com/p/Subaru__/CVT-ATF-C-30-5-Gallon-Pail/49506083/SOA427V1600.html

otherwise you could get some cvt fluid eg valvoline cvt fluid or some other brand to hold you over until you can get the subaru elf blood fluid

according to their site it fits your model and year.

good luck.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-804751-6PK-Continuously-Variable-Transmission/dp/B00DJ4FGIK]Amazon.com: Valvoline (804751-6PK) Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, (Case of 6): Automotive[/ame]

if you look at the reviews it has someone using this in his crosstec xv and another with a 2012 outback

if the oil pan was clean/new and fluid was not contaminated you could filter the fluid and put it back in the transmission.

i have no idea what the capacity of fluid for your car is... but its probably less than this tub o fluid.

http://parts.cioccasubaru.com/p/Subaru__/CVT-ATF-C-30-5-Gallon-Pail/49506083/SOA427V1600.html

otherwise you could get some cvt fluid eg valvoline cvt fluid or some other brand to hold you over until you can get the subaru elf blood fluid

according to their site it fits your model and year.

good luck.

Amazon.com: Valvoline (804751-6PK) Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, (Case of 6): Automotive

if you look at the reviews it has someone using this in his crosstec xv and another with a 2012 outback

Unfortunately the fluid was contaminated. The valvoline CVT fluid seems like a nice option but how would I even get it into the right place? One of he amazon reviewers kind of explains it but but he/she wasn't quite clear

You will be fine. It doesn't void the warranty changing the CVT oil & it probably is a good idea to change it anyways. The CVT is likely just the differential and MT oil fill. Add CVT fluid to fill fitting until it starts to come out.

If you are really worried, put whatever cvt fluid you can, that is compatible, then take it first thing and have the dealer flush and refill it.

I'd be comfortable using the Vavloline CVT fluid that was mentioned above, think I'd just have to buy a pump to use it in the CVT fill hole

So I just purchased this fluid pump ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/TeraPump-TRHA01-Battery-Operated-Pump/dp/B00APU2X0K?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00[/ame])

and 12 quarts of this CVT fluid ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-804751-6PK-Continuously-Variable-Transmission/dp/B00DJ4FGIK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00]Amazon.com: Valvoline (804751-6PK) Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, (Case of 6): Automotive[/ame]). Hopefully this works out

Hey Costa, don't worry this is a typical mistake, engine oil, front diff, cvt fluid drain plugs.

I'm not sure I'd recommend that particular replacement fluid you went with.

Its much better to pickup Subarus CVT fluid (your flavor actually comes in quarts, gallons etc, unlike the honey-yellow HTCVT fluid) and call it a day.

Check out what I learned and documented here about the Subaru green, blue and amber CVT fluids and part #s. It will tell you what you want to get:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5271442&postcount=349

The way you re-fill the CVT is fairly easy too. You will find two plugs on the transmission body. One to drain, the other to check the level. The idea is to open the top one and fill the CVT with fluid until it starts to drip out the top drain.

You also want to check the level is proper with the transmission warmed up a bit. There is an entire procedure on how to do this over on my brother's WRX thread where we found the info in the service manuals for the CVTs.

Its fairly easy. Boils down to fill until you reach that line. Close her up, get in the car and on level ground, move the transmission level around through the 'gears', optionally go for a drive around the block, get the car up on jacks or a lift (must be level), pour some more fluid through the top hole until it starts dripping again. It should take a tad more fluid. Overfilling is also not that big of a deal, if not by much. Underfilling - certainly an issue.

I assume you've read this thread front to back?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215157&highlight=miles+cvt

Also, if you need help - get your car over to 'One Stop Transmission' in Ridgewood. Both owners are my friends. Tell them I sent you.

They have extensive experience dealing with Subaru 4/5EATs and CVTs. Rebuilds, new TCs, valve bodies, drain and fills, flush refills, etc.

They know exactly what to do to get your CVT refilled properly or check the level if you want a second opinion if its good after you do what I suggested above.

Oh and it will not cost an arm and a leg either :)

Hey Costa, don't worry this is a typical mistake, engine oil, front diff, cvt fluid drain plugs.

I'm not sure I'd recommend that particular replacement fluid you went with.

Its much better to pickup Subarus CVT fluid (your flavor actually comes in quarts, gallons etc, unlike the honey-yellow HTCVT fluid) and call it a day.

Based on this article, the Valvoline CVT fluid states that "Valvoline CVT fluid recommended for use where the following fluids are called for: - Subaru Lineartronic CVTF (P/N K0425Y0710), CV-30, High Torque CVTF, e-CVTF"

Mine was Green when it came out if that helps

Oh and I appreciate the help Perscitus but I'm trying to avoid the tow

There are at least a few CVT fluids that will do (Valvoline, Amsoil, Castrol, Eneos). You will be fine.

Best thing you can do for these transmissions is a mix of:

a. proper fluid level

b. proper fluid temp (ideally sweet spot temp ranges, no long use above the hot temp of ~200F)

c. drain-n-fill (say every 30K) for the life of the car

What fluid is used (especially if it meets the spec) is secondary.

There are at least a few CVT fluids that will do (Valvoline, Amsoil, Castrol, Eneos). You will be fine.

Best thing you can do for these transmissions is a mix of:

a. proper fluid level

b. proper fluid temp (ideally sweet spot temp ranges, no long use above the hot temp of ~200F)

c. drain-n-fill (say every 30K) for the life of the car

What fluid is used (especially if it meets the spec) is secondary.

Thank you Perscitus, that's exactly what I needed to hear! Much love brotha man :)

Just wanted to take the time to thank Perscitus and everyone else for their input on helping me with this dilemma. My Legacy is up and running again as of 10 minutes ago! Shout out to Valvoline for their great CVT fluid that seems to be working flawlessly and to Amazon for the fast shipping! [emoji13]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160426/94482bf181ce758919ab4bebcac90679.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Good thread, few Qs for people more in the know on the CVTs.

Have a 2011 with 151K, want to change some of the fluid. Have a nice battery powered pump to refill...but refill with what?

Have OEM Subaru CVT fluid in the car now, and from what I see people are doing partial changes of ~6qts. Are you mixing fluids? I'm a little paranoid about that, should I be?

Is there a reliable place to get Subie smurf blood CVT fluid? WHICH CVT fluid should I get, is the blue fine or is the green better? Heard the yellowish/gold stuff was for the high torque CVTs.

Good thread, few Qs for people more in the know on the CVTs. Have a 2011 with 151K, want to change some of the fluid. Have a nice battery powered pump to refill...but refill with what?
Is the fluid that's in there OE and hasn't been changed since new? If so, I would advise against a full flush and instead do a partial drain-n-fill first, see how the Transmission responds to that and only then proceed with either more drain-n-fills or a full low-pressure, ideally self-driven flush. Don't use any pumps other than the system's own pumping action to evacuate new fluid.

Plenty of guides on how to do this on the web and even here in the Transmission sub-forum.

Check your fluid state now, check the fill level @ operating temp.

And then depending on what you find, perform a partial flush (drain-n-fill).

Make sure the fluid level is correct after, again @ operating temp.

Do not under or over-fill the transmission. Drive around like this for a few K miles, if all is well, proceed with another drain-n-fill or consider (risk) a full flush.

Have OEM Subaru CVT fluid in the car now, and from what I see people are doing partial changes of ~6qts. Are you mixing fluids? I'm a little paranoid about that, should I be?
Yes, mixing old with new. This is fine, especially if a. old fluid hasn't burned up, fully oxidized b. old fluid doesn't have too many miles on it (mixing OE and non-OE fluid is also fine, with some caveats I won't go into here). Typically you want to do a few of these drain-n-fills (every or every other oil change) to dilute the old fluid down to effectively non-existent. Depending on what you get out of the pan vs what's in the whole system - it typically takes 3-4 cycles.

Is there a reliable place to get Subie smurf blood CVT fluid? WHICH CVT fluid should I get, is the blue fine or is the green better? Heard the yellowish/gold stuff was for the high torque CVTs.
Dealerships, Quirkparts, RockAuto, many of our site vendors that sell OE maintenance supplies. Re which fluid to go with, ready my findings here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43285165&postcount=796

For your application - I'd vote keep it Blue for now if your OE fluid is Blue or if you are planning to do a complete low-pressure/self-driven flush (Smurf blood TRANSfusion), consider switching over to Green. It will eventually replace the Blue fluid in any/all non- High Torque Subaru CVTs.

• 8 months later...
I stripped the threads in the CVT Fluid Fill Hole. I am very angry with myself. Do you have an idea as to the most cost effective fix for this problem. The threads on the fill plug are fine. The threads in the fill hole are stripped and the plug can no longer be tightened to torque. HELP! 2015 Subaru Legacy Premium 2.5i.

Archived