LegacyGT.com

Any inexpensive way around xm/sat radio?

I have a 2009 LGT that is XM/Sir "ready". When I press the SAT button on the radio nothing comes up so I'm guessing I need the rest of the hardware. I just dont have the couple of hundred I need for the hardware only to pay 10.00 a month for the stations, I think it's not worth the investment.

Is there anyway around this or do I really need that hardware? I want to stick with the OEM head unit.

Do you have the antennae box thing in the top right of the windshield? I'm guessing no, since when you press SAT it should start playing an XM/sirius promotional station by default until you activate your subscription. so yes, the hardware is necessary.

FYI, if you do get the XM hardware, you can negotiate the price down to only $6/month (just keep saying no to the XM Staff offers until they get it down to that price).

You could also just buy a separate xm radio and plug it into the AUX input, that way you can take with you it inside your home/work or wherever. Or just use Pandora via iphone through the aux jack.

Depending on your phone, you can stream it to your phone and plug it in to the AUX jack. There is an iphone app and a windows app with an android coming out 'soon' (rumors).

In previous years, when Subaru says a car was 'pre-wired for sat radio' all that meant was there is a section of coax antenna cable running from behind the HU to above the mirror (with the proper connectors). That simplifies installing the antenna that's included in the OEM kit. I think 2009 is still that way.

The kit also includes the tuner module, which bolts above or below the factory radio.

There are aftermarket sat radio tuners that are compatible with a 2009 factory radio. They plug into the same bus connector on the back (not using the aux input or FM modulator, as some cheaper ones do).

There are aftermarket sat radio tuners that are compatible with a 2009 factory radio. They plug into the same bus connector on the back (not using the aux input or FM modulator, as some cheaper ones do).

Could you expand on this? Are you saying that there is another solution out there to run Sirius behind the dash, and have the display come up on the OEM radio, that doesn't cost $350? I have a 2008 with (I believe) the Panasonic unit.

Is this just using a universal SiriusConnect unit, or is it the Panasonic SiriusConnect unit? I'm assuming you'd need an interface adapter too. I dug up a few threads, specifically this one where it didn't pan out...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/100-factory-sirius-solutioni-72363p2.html?highlight=panasonic

If you got some info please share! I'll go buy the stuff tomorrow and do a writeup. I have a Sportster 5 in the car now, but with the limited space, I'd like to get my cubby back.

On July 11, 2008, Pandora launched a mobile version of their software for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch through the iTunes App Store. Pandora is also available for Android phones[2] (such as the T-Mobile G1), BlackBerry platforms, WebOS (used on the Palm Pre), and Windows Mobile devices. Pandora was the provider for MSN Radio until MSN discontinued their internet radio service on June 18, 2008.[3]

The service has two subscription plans: a free subscription supported by advertisements, and a fee-based subscription without ads. A free account user may reach the streaming limit of 40 hours per month, and continue unlimited streaming by paying $0.99. There are also advertisements in "Pandora Mobile" for mobile phones and the "Pandora in The Home" computer appliance.

Could you expand on this? Are you saying that there is another solution out there to run Sirius behind the dash, and have the display come up on the OEM radio...

For Subaru OEM radios that have the 20-pin changer/iPod/sat radio socket, PAC Audio has a product. the uPAC-SB1, which lets you add up to two new audio sources. The uPAC-SB1 kit includes 1 iPod and 1 Aux cable. You can also connect their HDRT HD radio tuner as one of the two new sources.

The kit's Subaru-specific cable includes a pass-through socket, in case you already had (or want to add) another Subaru accessory plugged into the 20-pin socket.

PAC also has an optional cable, model uPAC-SIRCBL, that will interface between the uPAC and the SCC1 "SiriusConnect Universal Vehicle Tuner" (sold elsewhere). The cable provides the same type of integration (controls, display) as they do for an iPod and their HD radio tuner.

CatInTheDryer successfully used the uPAC-SB1 to connect an iPod in his 2005 LGT (with a transplanted 2008 OEM HU). Read starting here (post #3), down to post #9 below that. Ditchhanger installed one to connect an iPod in his 2008 LGT

However, a few Impreza and Forester owners had issues getting an SCC1 to work (see links to other Subaru forums in that post -- #3). So before buying that, talk to PAC to confirm compatibility with your particular OEM HU.

ADDED: PAC now has a newer model ISSB571 that also may work. Check with PAC to confirm compatibility on either product with your particular OEM HU.

Awesome info, I appreciate the help. I'm going to start shopping and see what I can get out of PAC for compatibility verification. If this will work, I may go this route.

Read some of the threads, seems like people are having some buggy issues with the PAC units, but if PAC can confirm I might give it a go.

Archived