LegacyGT.com

5EAT & Diff fluid change

rob-2

Hi Folks,

About to do this for my wifes 05 auto GT LTD. Do we have DIY with pictures so I know what I'm doing before I lift the car?

Looking to replace 5QT tranny fluid and change the diffs.

Thanks for you help,

Rob

Thanks, this is great info. Do you know the part number for the transmission filter?

I do not believe the tranny has a filter its just a drain and fill same as the rear diff. 1 quart goes in the rear diff and 4.2 i believe in the tranny at least thats what my 08 took when i did it several months ago.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

You know what since I have a manual I am unsure about those filters or if i even have one. I would call up your local subaru dealer or a shop you trust talk to them about how many miles you have on your wife's car and if they recommend changing that filter.

I am sorry wish I could be better help

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Is that all the automatic tranny holds?

The rear diff is acturally .8 Yes Extra-S is the perfered fuild for it.

Check out the threads about Automatic tranny's in the tranny forum or PM ClimberD for the best fuild for the slushbox.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is that all the automatic tranny holds?

The rear diff is acturally .8 Yes Extra-S is the perfered fuild for it.

Check out the threads about Automatic tranny's in the tranny forum or PM ClimberD for the best fuild for the slushbox.

My research suggests its a total of 12qt but on a drain/fill you only get 5-6 qt out at a time.

Have you checked out how much a repair shop charges to flush the tranny ?

Just make sure they use the proper fluid.

PM'd you

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Have you checked out how much a repair shop charges to flush the tranny ?

Just make sure they use the proper fluid.

PM'd you

I don't like other people working on our cars. I know that might sound silly to some, but I'd rather research it and do it right. Know what was done and have the piece of mind.

Got your PM :)

^ I agree I feel the same way however when I had my tranny and rear diff drained and filled it only cost me an hour of labor since it was the dead of winter and I didnt have a lift/garage at the time.

I do all my own oil changes, brake pad, rotors ect but some things its not worth the hassle.

You also need a special tool to put the fluid back into the tranny and rear diff from what i understand

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

^ I agree I feel the same way however when I had my tranny and rear diff drained and filled it only cost me an hour of labor since it was the dead of winter and I didnt have a lift/garage at the time.

I do all my own oil changes, brake pad, rotors ect but some things its not worth the hassle.

You also need a special tool to put the fluid back into the tranny and rear diff from what i understand

I've got the diff stuff from working on my honda. the tranny fluid it filled back up by the dip stick. Tube + Pump normally does it. Actually from the pictures it looks as poorly placed as the one on my S. Which gives me 3 inches to work with.

I use a suction gun to put the fluids in the tranny and rear diff.

Thinking about, automatics have a filter behind the battery, I think i read that here.

Ok, some of the info in this thread is wrong.

1. A 5eat pan drain via the drain plug will drop about 5qts, I'd buy 6qts of 5eat ATF from the dealer just to be safe. You need to use a measuring bucket to measure how much was drained so you know how much to refill. A full system is about 12qts, there's a few ways to do this but you will not drain the fluid from the torque converter because it's impossible, what was suggested was to shift through the gears with the car idling to flush the valve body out (while the drain plug is off).

2. The 05's have a tranny filter along side the tranny, that you can also get at the dealer or on fred beans, they resemble an oil filter, but not the same.

3. the front diff and the tranny are two separate resevoirs, both have their own drain plug and own fill tube (dipstick tube). the manual refers to the type of diff fluid to use, go to dealer to retrieve.

Use a suction tube/pump to fill the rear diff, this is the only time you need this tool- for the rear diff. When doing the rear diff, loosen the top plug first because if the bottom one wont come off, you'll still have fluid in your diff.

X2 for removing the top plug first.

I ended up pulling the just install replacement rear diff and changing out the cover, because I couldn't get the fill plug out to fill it. The diff has 40,000 miles on it.

Who ever put the fill plug in run it in until only 1 or 2 threads were showing. My old diff fill plug that I serviced had 4 or 5 threads showing.

If you are looking to wreck an automatic transmission then I agree, that is a good fluid to do it with.

When doing the rear diff, loosen the top plug first because if the bottom one wont come off, you'll still have fluid in your diff.

The reason you want to do that is because if the top fill bolt is seized and you drain the fluid, you're f-ed. This cautionary reasoning should apply to any mechanism which has an upper and lower bolt for exchanging fluids.

There are numerous threads about how to drain/fill the automatic fluid and diff fluids.

MT guys that are unfamiliar with the process need to realize the only thing that's the same from AT to MT is the type of fluid that MT uses in the rear diff.

Not even the rear diff housings are the same.

• 1 year later...

A little late to this thread but there is a way you can do your own flush on AT. It takes two clean 5 gallon pails, about 4-5 gallons of fresh fluid, and some long lengths of hose the size of the cooler lines.

Remove both of the hoses off of the cooler connection where it runs down the front frame rail and add about 3' of hose to each connection via a hose splicer or piece of tubing. Run the hoses out through the lower valance to keep them at about the same level as the frame rail, and then go find someone to help you for a minute. Have your helper person start the car and run it for about 10 seconds with both of the extended hoses in one bucket and see which one squirts fluid out. Fill the other bucket with the new transmission fluid and put the hose that didn't squirt in that bucket, all the way down to the bottom of the bucket. Start the car and then watch closely as the fluid comes out of the tube into the first bucket and sucks up the fluid out of the second bucket. Once the clean fluid bucket is about 1" from the bottom, shut the car off.

You've now recirculated new fluid through your entire transmission and torque converter. Re-hook up your hoses to the correct cooler lines, change the filter behind the battery, start the car and let it idle for a couple of minutes, check the fluid, fill to correct level and you're finished.

• 2 weeks later...
How often (miles/months) should the tranny filter be changed, everytime you flush?

Thx

Joe

I've read on these threads that it actually isn't supposed to be replaced very often, if ever, but I replace mine every time I flush. I run the car pretty hard and I think that it's just better to change it every time you change the fluid. It is an expensive piece (Subaru PN 38325AA032) and I got mine at Fred Beans but I don't recall how much. I think the expense is worth it versus a transmission rebuild.

• 2 months later...
found the filter -http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-automatic-transmission-filter.html

$8.49 for a Wix transmission filter at your local Oreilly's

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIX0/51365/03230.oap?year=2005&make=Subaru&model=Legacy&vi=5018006&ck=Search_a!s!t+trans+filter_03230_5018006_2924&keyword=a!s!t+trans+filter&pt=03230&ppt=C0023

Archived