LegacyGT.com

In Dash VGA

llmask

what do u guys think about this in dash motorized screen that im planning to fit into the cubby hole:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1498&item=5772362870&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

when the screen is closed, is it that ugly? but not fugly? i can deal w ugly cuz atleast its not eye candy to robbers.

anyways, just your feed back on it.

i plan to put a car pc.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm also planning a car PC, well, car Mac Mini to be precise. I considered 7" retractables, but because I'm going to go with a 10" touchscreen. I'm planning on using the VESA mount and attaching it to what will basically be a block that fits into the cubby. It won't be as slick as a retractable, but will be easier to work with and I'll be able to pull it out of the cars for the 50+ nights it gets below zero here. Just a thought.

A note on my comment... my project is a bit of a pipedream right now, I'm waiting on the capital that will come with a new job in June. I was looking at the specs on larger screens (10-12inch) versus the 7inchers, and the 7's are almost twice as bright, which will be a huge issue in the car. Non-touchscreen versions have about 400cd/m^2, while the touchscreens are 300cd/m^2. Larger LCDs have a bit over 200. Just a thought.

I would like to be able to do some actual work (when I'm the passenger or parked, of course). I do some freelance photography work, so it would be nice to have a screen I could do some quick work on on-site. I'll always have a laptop, though, so I'm thinking the bright 7" would be better for the Subie application.

I'm still halfway finished with flushing a 7 inch Xenarc touchscreen in place of the cubby. I know, I know - I'll finish asap and post pics.

I own everything I need to do the carputer project and just haven't gotten it installed.

when did you start, john?

I started planning last November, bought everything in December, and finally removed the cubby in March. It's cut, framed in for the new monitor, and has most of the bondo work done. I've just been too lazy to finish the final coats and get it back into the car. I'm putting the clock in the ashtray location.

cool. in that case, ill wait for your report until i buy myself one. ;)

Thats cool...

So far i know of a couple issues right off the bat.

1. TV Tuner is Pal...so you gotta get a pal-to-ntsc converter($3 at radio shack)

2. Clock stays on even when in stand by... not a big deal and since it'll be mounted right about our clock/mpg/temp guage, i am considering just disabling the display.

Also, i'm not sure on the fit w/ the avo din plastic pieces.

I'm still halfway finished with flushing a 7 inch Xenarc touchscreen in place of the cubby. I know, I know - I'll finish asap and post pics.

I own everything I need to do the carputer project and just haven't gotten it installed.

please!! give me some pics!!! i wanted to flush mount a xenarc screen also, but i just didnt know where to put our clock/temp/etc display.

I started planning last November, bought everything in December, and finally removed the cubby in March. It's cut, framed in for the new monitor, and has most of the bondo work done. I've just been too lazy to finish the final coats and get it back into the car. I'm putting the clock in the ashtray location.

John!

Please post some in progress pics!

I also want to do this!

I am thinking do the same thing like you, put the VGA touch screen in the cubby but not sure how to do with relocation of the clock, where can you get the extention cable for the clock?

Anyway, some pictures, please!

THANK YOU!

Eric

John!

Please post some in progress pics!

I also want to do this!

Same here. There are a variety of 7"LCDs out there but the Xenarc looks to be the best.

Some things I'm wondering: do you pull the panel out of the provided enclosure and wedge it into the cubby/trim piece?

I'd alos like to see the results of the clock/ashtray conversion.

I'll get pics asap. I haven't taken any yet so you'll miss the initial cutout and framing. Basically you'll start with me 90% finished with the bondo work, trying to find a black that matches the stock finish the best.

I ordered a spare Xenarc bezel to flush into place. Then I just remove the "guts" and screw them onto the completed dash panel when I'm ready. It required a little trimming on the sides to make it fit between the vents but it was only cosmetic.

I retained enough of the clock's factory trim that it should be reasonably easy to put into the ashtray lid without much detail work. We'll see how that works out when I get to it. Hopefully I can also fit 4 USB ports in there too.

The computer itself is built - an AMD Sempron 3100, 512 meg, DVD player, and 200 gig SATA HD. It looks like I'll install it in the spare tire well and use a water cooling setup with the heat exchanger under the car. That way it won't overheat in the summer.

Archived