LegacyGT.com

Best tranny oil for 5mt with LSD

channoff

Yes, I know there are dozens of threads here about tranny fluids, however, the more I read, the more confusing it became. I have to replace my center diff bearings this weekend and, along with that, my tranny fluid. I have 73k miles and a MFactory Torsen LSD. My plan is to just go with Extra-S. Good idea? Bad idea? Other options? Any help would be great.

You'll also read where I'm refilling my 5mt in my wagon with Amsoil Severgear and I have that in my 09 Spec B also 6mt and the rear diff.

I did just put one of the 5 qt's of Motul 300 in the rear diff of the wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How much do you really stand to gain from trying a cocktail? Plenty of people say the Subaru stuff works, that's what I'd use.

How many times has BAC5.2 changed his tranny fluid that he can clearly recommend the "cocktail" over one or two other brands of gear oil?

If you have issues with your tranny then the cocktail can help.

Having done the Extra-S and Amsoil Severgear. I think the Amsoil shifts as good if not better.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks for all the replies. Based on everything I am hearing and the fact that I have zero issues with my tranny as far as shifting, grinding, etc, I am most likely going to stick with Extra-S.

Really, my question was more around whether or not I should consider something different due to my LSD. I was just wondering if someone would come on here and say something like "You idiot, you can't use Extra-S with your LSD. You loser!".

What did the guy's at MFactory recommend that you use ?

It's been a few years but I can't remember the name's of the guy's there from our Honda day's. I know my son was talking with them 4/5 years back.

What did the guy's at MFactory recommend that you use ?

It's been a few years but I can't remember the name's of the guy's there from our Honda day's. I know my son was talking with them 4/5 years back.

Directly from their website FAQs:

"We highly recommend the use of our Torco Transmission Fluid when our gears are installed with a stock differential or our Limited Slip Differentials. While it is not a necessity, we observe a transmission fluid change every 2-3 Engine Oil changes. However, this is dependent on your actual mileage and frequency of usage in competition environments"

and

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: DO NOT use Gear Oil in your Honda Transmission. Doing so will cause more damage than good, especially the expensive Synthetic/Performance Gear Oils. Please click here for further information. "

Looks like the gear oil cocktail is out. Anyone here have any experience with Torco?

How much do you really stand to gain from trying a cocktail? Plenty of people say the Subaru stuff works, that's what I'd use.

How many times has BAC5.2 changed his tranny fluid that he can clearly recommend the "cocktail" over one or two other brands of gear oil?

I've had my hands on the guts of literally thousands of Subaru gearboxes.

I'll have to see if I can dig up the picture of the 55 gallon drum full of broken gears we'd fill monthly.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

As for what fluid to use, I'll continue recommending the cocktail I've been recommending for almost a decade. With a helical front diff, I'd typically run 50/50 Shockproof to Motul.

There's nothing wrong with running Extra-S, if you'd prefer to use a single fluid.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Which red line fluid are you referring to? I put 75w-90NS in my transmission a few weeks ago. For the first two days things felt a little funky, but ever since then its been shifting great.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

The dealership can only get you 5 gallon drums.

The following vendors sell 1qt bottles. There may be more vendors that sell it by the quart, but these are the first guys that come to mind.

Fred beans subaru out of PA

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-75w90-extra-s-gear-and-transmission-quart-bottle.html

Infamous Performance out of CA

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-612/Subaru-75W90-Extra-dsh-S-Gear/Detail

AZP out of NJ doesn't sell it by the quart, but they do sell it by the gallon.

http://azpinstalls.com/web/index.php/products/maintenance

Archived