LegacyGT.com

State Inspection Fail due to Brakes

Precise

:icon_mad:

I went to a gas station today thats certified to give state inspections in NY (probably doesnt mean much). I went there because my mother went there yesterday to get her inspection done and it took 5 minutes and only cost her 10 bux. So I figure, wth, my inspection expires soon, i'll get it done too.

First thing he does is puts my car up on the lift and takes off my rear tire and then he calls me over. He points out that my rotor is no good and my pads in the rear need to be replaced. I'm no mechanic, but there was a ring going around the rotor that looked rough compared to the smoothness of the rest of it. I also looked at the pad and it kinda looked thin (i dont know what to compare it to though). The thing is i have 13.5K miles on the car and even if the pads are no good, the rotor should defenitely still be okay (right?). He then tells me he'll do the inspection and replace the pads and the rotors for $150. A red flag goes up, figuring he just wants to milk me for some $$ and i haul ass out of there. I'm not sure what to do or who to trust. How do i know the rotor is no good or that my brake pads need to be replaced? What do I look for, what should I do? I would go somewhere else, but if i really do need to replace what he said, they'll just fail me for inspection again, and maybe this time charge me full price for it....:icon_conf

Yeah they can generally turn the rotors if they arent complety FUBARed. Go to a Advanced or auto zone and have one of those guys look at it if you dont have a normal mechanic you trust.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

I'd definately let the dealer look at it for warranty.

I'd agree. I swapped pads out at 29k and my rotors looked new compared to that. I'd have them check the caliper operation to be sure it's fine. Replacing the pad and resurfacing the rotor may get you passed inspection, but it will be a problem next year (again) if the root cause is the caliper.

do you do a lot of city driving?

was there any squealing or grinding?

it seems to me there is plenty of pad and that the one side needs adjustment.

pull up on the emergency brake lever slowly and count the clicks.

it should be about 4.

if more, turn on the car and depress (don't pound on it) the brake pedal several times to readjust the pads.

you should be at 4 clicks now.

drive a little then check to see if the rusted area goes away.

if this doesn't work bring to a subie dealer and see if it can be fixed under warranty.

well i did:

im not at school anymore, so the dealer i get my service done at (near my school) is of no use to me. I just called them for advice (they give some really good service). I described what happened and they said that if i take it to another dealer they should cover it under warranty.

I called up metric yesterday (the only dealer service i trust in long island), but got the service dept voicemail. I have a feeling that they might be closed till wednesday...and my inspection sticker expired today...;[

Wow, that is not good, but usually on cars that are only one year old (and getting first inspection) they just scan the registration and give you a sticker in less than five minutes. I guess it is good that they checked your brakes. My rear ones are squeeling as well, and I am almost at 11K miles. I have an appointment on Wednesday for service, so I will point that out to them. Mine look kind of worn in the back as well.

I uusually go to Port Subaru for serveice in Roslyn, and they have a nice service department. The girl there (Liz) in very nice.

GL

X

---

well i did:

im not at school anymore, so the dealer i get my service done at (near my school) is of no use to me. I just called them for advice (they give some really good service). I described what happened and they said that if i take it to another dealer they should cover it under warranty.

I called up metric yesterday (the only dealer service i trust in long island), but got the service dept voicemail. I have a feeling that they might be closed till wednesday...and my inspection sticker expired today...;[

The place didn't give you a 10 day temp to fix the issue that caused your car to fail?

Let the dealer see it, you're still under warranty. You may have a caliper problem.

I had a bad front caliper which caused front pads to stick. Needed front rotors, pads and a caliper rebuild. Cost $440. 46K miles so off warranty.

May as well have everything checked, you don't want to fool around with brakes, even rear ones.

P.

my brakes definately suck and my steering wheel is getting worse and worse everyday i brake on the highway, the steering wheel shimmies back and forth a lot under hard breaking. Whats the telltale signs that your rotors are going bad?
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

my brakes definately suck and my steering wheel is getting worse and worse everyday i brake on the highway, the steering wheel shimmies back and forth a lot under hard breaking. Whats the telltale signs that your rotors are going bad?

usually when the steering wheel shimmies back and forth a lot under hard braking, that's a sign the rotors are bad. when they get worn/glazed/warped the surface becomes irregular and that is what causes the shimmy under braking. and if the rotors are replaced or machined, it's very highly recommended to get the pads done at the same time.

well i did:

When you going in? I got an appointment next wednesday on the 12th for my non functioning HVAC control.

Archived