LegacyGT.com

Need advice before big repairs

Hello all. Here's the situation...

I purchased my 05 Legacy GT from a Subaru dealership near Denver (Mike Shaw). Upon test driving it I noticed a slight tick noise coming from the driver's side of the engine. When I asked about it I was assured it was just injector noise and that Subarus are just a bit noisy in general, which I had heard before. The noise is quiet enough that you don't hear it with the windows up and it hasn't really bothered me in the 11 months I've owned the car. I purchased the car as well as an extended warranty (Automotive Preferred Care through CNA National).

I just moved to Dallas and decided to take the car in to the dealership here (Huffines, who have been great to me so far!) to have a couple small things fixed (window switch, cigarette lighter, etc.) and while dropping the car off I also mentioned the tick noise, thinking maybe they could give me some reassurance on what the noise is since they would have the car anyway.

Just heard from the service manager that the car will need at least a new head and maybe a short block, and that it will probably be covered by under warranty, but not for sure and not until I agree to spend $850 to have it taken apart so the insurance company can see if they'll cover it or not. If it somehow isn't covered, I'll either need to pay out of pocket to have it fixed (~$7,000) or a few hundred bucks to have it put back together, at which point I'd be out ~$1,000.

I obviously realize there's ways I could/should have avoided this situation altogether, and I'd say I've definitely learned a few things about working with dealerships, but at this point I just need to figure out what to do next.

One option would be to have it torn down and hope the warranty covers it. If it is covered, I'll have a new engine and a story to tell. If they don't cover it, the repairs cost just about as much as the value of the car. Would that mean I should get my insurance coverage involved? There's probably some people that would spend $7,000 on a car repair because they love it and want to drive it forever, but I can't see myself justifying it as much as I enjoy the car.

Other option would be to just keep driving it with the noise like I've been doing, knowing someday I'll have a blown engine. Resale value would clearly be diminished even before the engine goes and I have no idea what it would be worth as a trade-in.

I can't help but think I was intentionally misled by the dealership I purchased the car from and I wonder if there's anything I can do to have at least some of my potential out-of-pocket expenses covered by them. My guess is I'm SOL there, but figured I should ask anyway.

Does anyone have experience with CNA National? The service manager at Huffines assured me he'd do all he could to have the repairs covered under warranty but there's obviously no guarantees.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all advice you all might have. Pissed at myself for getting myself into this situation, just need to find a way out of it. Thanks all!

why isn't talking the original dealership you purchased the car from not under consideration? clearly they mislead you.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

A compression test is a bit cheaper and it would give you insight into both head and sb efficacy. If you find any numbers you don't like, you can make a more informed decision from there.

I'm sure others will have some pretty ingenious ways to move forward. GL!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Has the noise gotten any louder since you have owned it ?

Yes these cars are noisy.

You might want to have a compression and then a leak down test if the compression numbers are bad. That will give you a hint if something inside is bad.

If the compression test is good, I think you know what's happening with the dealership...

How many miles on the car/engine ?

Worst case IMO right now is the heads need to be rebuilt. Most of us would do the engine rebuild too or replace it with a ej257.

Read my click here link to see what's involved in R&R of the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you guys for all the responses! Hadn't thought about doing a compression/leak down test. Guessing I should take the car elsewhere to have that done. Any chance anyone knows a good shop in the Dallas area?

The noise is exactly the same as the day I bought it. It's a tick noise that follows the revs and is just as loud at idle as high revs. I just drove the car 800 miles from Denver to Dallas with no issue and previously I made frequent trips up to the mountains and back, so I wouldn't be too worried about putting a few more miles on it before finding a resolution.

The car has 133,000 miles on it and the engine should have the same. Dealer and CarFax led me to believe it's the original engine, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily guarantee anything.

I'm fully willing to raise a stink to the dealership I purchased from, just don't want to hurt my chances of ending up with a better outcome by playing my hand too soon, I guess.

Rebuilding the heads sounds a lot cheaper than what was described to me by the service manager here if I do end up having to pay for it myself. I will reiterate though, the service guy here in Dallas has been extremely friendly so far. Not throwing him under the bus in any way.

Thanks again!

That would be a huge relief. Would the same shop capable of doing the compression/leak down test likely be able to do this as well?

Most likely, yes. You'll have to ask as your calling around looking for a shop.

contact Dave at cryotune, he's close to you and may know a place.

http://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived