LegacyGT.com

Need advice on how to proceed with car! Engine trouble

Hey guys, 2005 LGT here. 240k on the parts. My compression is in the 90's on 1 and 3, and around 120 on 2 and 4. My dealership says to get a longblock and drop it in there. This would cost around 6000 (4300 for just the engine) for an engine with about 130k on it. The dealer says with that compression its probably cracked rings. Another shop said it was probably burnt valves ... so much inconsistency.

Any other options? also im running a vf52, avo tmic, brand new sparks and coils. I really like this car , I took damn good care of it. I just can't justify that uch money when the car probably isnt even worth that, and with a 130k engine to boot ...

Let me know what you guys think!

A new stock shortblock will run about $1,800 - 2,200 from different vendors. I suggest if you can't rebuild the motor by youself, then search around different mechanics in your area that have experiences with Subaru motors. The Dealership will always be your most expensive shop to deal with.

I say buy a new shortblock and rebuild gasket kit from one of the vendors on here and take it to a local mechanic that knows how to build these. This will save you at least some $$$.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Know anyone in MN who would do it for cheap? lol

• How cheap are you trying to go "SAFELY" because cheap being #1 priority puts you back into needing an engine again sooner than you would like.

• Do you have another car to putz around in until you can get your funds in order? This could help you save up a bit more and replace some things that should be done with all those miles on the original engine like hoses, timing belt and water pump off top of my head. With only 80k on my engine when it came out, we broke some ish in the process from old age and rust belt problems.

For the love of God whatever you do don't pay $6k for an engine with 130k on it. Like the others have said, go with a new shortblock and have the heads rebuilt. At least you'd have a newer block. A lot can happen in 130k...

Streetlegal is parting out his spec b. Has a complete engine for 3k or 3.5k. I would think you could get it shipped and installed for less than $3k. That could be another option with less shop time. It still isn't a new short-block but would be more cost effective than your dealer option. Stay away from the stealership!

So 160k miles and 90k miles. Go the new short block route. The FXT I just bought had a new OEM shortblock installed in it. The shortblock cost about $2000 and a well respected shop disassembled the old motor, disassembled the original heads and checked them, and reassembled the motor with new timing belts, head bolts, gasket set, water pump, etc, etc for around $1500. The previous owner removed the old motor and installed the new one. A new CHRA for the turbo cost him $180. It can be done for $4000 pretty easily if you pull/reinstall the motor.

Im at 240 KM's ! Thats like ... 155 000 miles. Just FYI. :)

Okay, motor rebuild time. Suggestions ... what do I need boys?

EJ255 shortblock

head gasket kit

send heads out to machine shop

profit ??

Some people on here are saying ARP head bolts are a must have? Or something? Let me know !

I can lift and carry around a shortblock no problem and I'm not a big dude, 5'-11", 175lbs. Although it does come from the factory in a crate that would be easier to maneuver with 2 dudes. Judging by your avatar, you shouldn't have any issues. LOL!

As far as vendors go, any of the vendors here on the forum...Infamous, Fred Beans, Oakos, etc, can set you up with all the parts you need.

Isn't there a Canadian legacy GT forum that may have the name of a dealership that gives the same discounts ?

If you look at the first picture in my click here link you'll see the SB in the box. I think it was 82lbs.

You buy the gasket set for your year car when you order the EJ257.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Talk to Infamous, he's planning on closing shop soon and may have started liquidating his inventory.

Say it isn't so...?

You guy's need to buy more parts from him.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You guys need to visit "What's on you mind" thread more often. Mike is at a cross road in his life, family vs. buisness. His business is taking up too much of his time and he is about to accept a position with another company, so he can have more time with his family. He may stay in business to the end of the year.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived