LegacyGT.com

How long did your order take?

How long did your order take?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How long did your order take?

[quote name='D-2.5-GT']1. Walk in 2. Make deal 3. 2 days later drive new car home. Enough said.[/quote] Except you have to be willing to accept the fact you may be getting a car that has a bunch of test miles on it. Just think how abused those first 50-100 (or more) miles were. A bunch of hard launches, redline runs, etc. Did one or more not know how to drive a stick well and grind the heck out of the gears on several occasions. Did they back it into another car on the test drive causing some damage that was repaired already? Did the get all kinds of dirt on the carpets that needed to be cleaned out already. Has the car been baking in the sun on the dealer lot for it's first several weeks. Has the car had bird shiite droppings on it that sat, eating away at the clearcoat for days on end. Did somebody bring their 3 year old who was jumping around in the back seat before you picked up the car. Order your car. Get EXACTLY what you want on it. Get it the DAY it comes in (usually) with less than 10 miles on the odometer (mine had 6) knowing no customers have test driven it and nobody abused it or damaged it. The only time I'd buy off the lot is if the car you are interested in just recently came in and it had little to no miles on it. Or you need a car immediately. Got mine in 5 weeks.

If you didn't order it and bought it off the lot, hey that's cool. I can understand the whole instant gratification thing. This, being my first new car, I wanted to get exactly what I wanted, and I'm not in a big hurry.

why must the car I had shipped in from another dealer not have the exact options I want? Why must it have a lot of miles on it? My car had 13 miles on it, and had the exact options I wanted. If the car didn't have exactly what I wanted I would have ordered it.

Ordered mine on 8/14. On 9/16, the dealer found the car I wanted (only with a spoiler) at another dealer, traded for it, and swapped the trunk lid with a spoiler-less car that he had on the lot. I took delivery on 9/25. According to the factory, the car that I actually ordered was scheduled for delivery "sometime in October," but they could not give a better estimate than that.

Ordered mine on August 16. The dealer has an invoice for it, but that's it. The special "Subaru Tracking System" the dealers use to find cars in the pipe was down this afternoon, so other than the fact they know it exists (somewhere) they have no idea where it is or when I'll get it.

It seems that there is little to no tracking of orders. Do other manufacturers have this problem? I figured they'd have some sort of system like when you ordered a Dell, but I guess that'd be too hard?

I agree that Subaru's ordering process is a little screwy. I ordered mine on August 30th, was told I missed the cutoff for August ordering, and the car would show up in late October. Got a call last Friday, October 1st, and was told the car was in. I was convinced it was the wrong car, but Saturday morning I go on down and there it is. It might have been someone else's car, but it was the correct model, color, and options, so now it sits in my garage. I had to trade in my Saab as I had not even put an add out for it, figuring I still had a month to go. Today, I was called and told my wife's new Outback 2.5i, also ordered on August 30th, should be arrive in a couple of days. Same deal with the add, nothing put out there as I still figured I had a month to go. I love the car, and the dealership helped me break even on the payoff value of the loan, but I cannot believe that Subaru is this disorganized, especially as it looks like some people who ordered before me are still waiting. I wonder if Subaru is having supply/production problems on certain items that would cause a Legacy GT, for example, to be produced quicker than a Legacy GT Limited, say, shortage of leather seats or sunroofs? Just a thought, Steve

[quote name='Driver72'] [/quote] Except you have to be willing to accept the fact you may be getting a car that has a bunch of test miles on it. Just think how abused those first 50-100 (or more) miles were. A bunch of hard launches, redline runs, etc. Did one or more not know how to drive a stick well and grind the heck out of the gears on several occasions. Did they back it into another car on the test drive causing some damage that was repaired already? Did the get all kinds of dirt on the carpets that needed to be cleaned out already. Has the car been baking in the sun on the dealer lot for it's first several weeks. Has the car had bird shiite droppings on it that sat, eating away at the clearcoat for days on end. Did somebody bring their 3 year old who was jumping around in the back seat before you picked up the car. [/quote] The car i bought was right at the lot, had gotten there 3 days before i went down. It had 12 miles on the odometer, hardly much of a chance to do serious damage. This whole notion of being so worried about the car is ridiculous. Sure, make sure its not damaged and everything thing is good, but no need to worry about everything. 12 miles is nothing, maybe one drive. Sun, birds, carpets, come on now, thats stretching it. A car is meant to be used, its going to eventually get wear on it. Obviously you want to treat it well, but bad care and maintinence of the vehicle is going to be a lot worse than a couple weeks on the dealer lot. I can understand high mileage on a new car, but to each their own. You can't complain if you are ordering and it is taking so long, you made that choice. There isn't anything wrong with getting one off the lot, chances are you can get a better deal as well. But if they don't have exactly what you want, order away. No sense in spending good money on something you aren't happy with...but most options can be added later...

Ordered in September, Built in September, Drove home in September! Get SOA involved, I told them if I didn’t have my car quick I was going to take my business elsewhere. 2 weeks. Done. Young, ambitious, internet using techie, good or bad, it worked for me. Car dealerships dont treat there young customers with the respect we deserve, so i treated mine like a bad lap dance. take my money and get off my lap.

[quote name='NewScooby']Ordered in September, Built in September, Drove home in September! Get SOA involved, I told them if I didn’t have my car quick I was going to take my business elsewhere. 2 weeks. Done. Young, ambitious, internet using techie, good or bad, it worked for me. Car dealerships dont treat there young customers with the respect we deserve, so i treated mine like a bad lap dance. take my money and get off my lap.[/quote] Well, my sales guy put in a call with SoA to get the status of my order. If I call, do I need any specific information. Order number or anything like that? (Cause all I have is a receipt for my deposit, but I know the dealer has all those numbers).

Archived