LegacyGT.com

'Harsh' Auto change and steering issues

Hi all,

I recently bought an old '96 Legacy sedan - 2.0L non-turbo auto.

When it changes from second to third, it does so with a less than gentle slamming of the box - no extraneous noises, but a real kick in the pants. No nasty bangs or clunks, just like having a learner in a manual drop the clutch :)

First to second is OK, but as I have 370,000km into this old dear, I am loathe to do much more than adjusting/fluids/etc... it just isn't worht spending a huge amount on.

The other problem is the steering - it looks like the steering has lost a bush or something - hard to describe without a manual, I don't know what parts I am talking about...

If I am underneatht he car and someone turns the wheel L-R, there is a part of the steering assembly (not the box) that looks like it should be held still, it moves from side to side about 1.5in. It makes the steering fun as you turn, nothing happens - you over-compensate then steering happens all in a rush. It also means that although the wheels are aligned with respect to each other, the steering wheel 'straight ahead' changes from corner to corner.

It was pointed out to me when I fitted new tyres and got them aligned... standing in the pit, the part that is moving is a tube mounted laterally right in the middle of the car, behind the radiator and low down, just where ou expect a steering component to be.

I am sure that with a manual, I could diagnose it, but I don't know how it's meant to work and whether something is missing, worn or broken...

I live in a third-world country without access to such niceties as bookshops or auto parts places... any help gratefully received.

PS - I don't use the car, for those that just went :eek: - I bought it as a non-runner to use so I don't have to put miles on my 4L Jeep... After I paid $700 for it, I replaced the hoses responsible for the massive oil leak, new timing belt and battery, new tyres... so it owes me about $1800.

Looks like you need new steering rack bushes. From what you describe, i'm 99% sure this will be the issue. It is a common, and very easy thing to fix (if you know how to work on cars!)... but that will only sort the steering issue, not the gear change issue.

As for the gear change issue, i guess my first suggestion is to replace your transmission fluid, god knows how old it may be! You should do this anyway, since you only just bought it, and it has so many miles on it. I imagine it might be rather neglected.

And where exactly do you live, don't be afraid to introduce yourself!

That looks like my old car - I didn't sell it to you in '99 did I? :eek:

I am ex Wellington, Queenstown, London (for 10 years) and now in Brunei Darussalam on the island of Borneo (before people start thinking it is in the ME :))

Yes, I am handy and have an extensive collection of tools... glad to hear it is easy. I just have to find some.

The shocks are shot as well, so I guess I will be doing them both. I found the service manuals on torrent and went through the pics.

Nice manuals Subaru provide!

As to the gearbox, that's what I was thinking as well - I guess I'll have to dive in.

On another note, were they OBDII in '96? I have a scanner, but haven't checked yet.

Archived