LegacyGT.com

2008 Forester Sport VS 2008 Legacy GT

Ok well I interested in both and wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of both over each other. Everything from the exterior, interior, performance, handling, insurance, gas mileage etc. This car will be a daily driver and don't plan on any serious mods. Maybe suspension and stage 2 down the road.

I have posted this on a forester forum, Legacy forum, and Impreza forum.

Let's see what people have to say.

pictures for reference (sorry if I stole your pictures)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/joscolem/10-29-07%20Cabezon%20Peak/DSC_0410copy.jpg

VS

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/ERLoft/IMG_1639.jpg

I'm a fan of the Forester Sports XT myself. I was upset when Subaru discontinued the GT wagon in 5 speed. Aside from the Outback XT 5 speed, the Forester Sports XT is the coolest turbo "wagon-ish" ride you can get in a 5 speed IMO.

I think the interior of the LGT is going to be much nicer, I have heard complaints about the Forester looking cheap, but the extra space is what would sell me. If you can do without the "wagon" I'd go with the LGT otherwise, I think the FXT is a badass ride with lots of mod potential. They look very aggressive when lowered properly on a nice wheel and tire combo.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

I like the forester, but it's just too strange looking for me to like as a DD. If I had a deep bank account to turn it into a real tuner car, and have a regular daily driver that could be interesting. Legacy is best for me all around, though. Then again, what answer would you expect on a legacy forum? :lol:

I have both. The space inside is comparable, just in different dimensions. The forester is tall where the legacy is long. The forester has a lot more storage spaces inside (coin holder, bigger glove box, map holders, etc).

Forester is much noisier at highway speeds, and pushes in corners at the limit. The ground clearance in the snow is great.

If you want auto, the 4 speed in the forester is deal breaker.

The forester is great if you are the "outdoorsy type". Already has roof racks, better ground clearance , more cargo space....and even more of a sleeper. Especially if you get the 04 or 05 FXT with the lower geared rear end. C&D clocked it at 0-60 in 5.3 and 1/4 time under 14 seconds.....stock!

My 25 cents:

My wife and I just came from an 04 FXT (5spd) that we'd had since new. The car was a rocket and my wife says (and I agree) that it felt faster than our new Legacy does. I think that's partly due to the sweet gearing in the 04 (and 05) tranny and also the whole visceral experience that is a fast station wagon. It was absolutely the ultimate sleeper. No one saw you coming, ever!

By experience I mean, the Forester is much more boisterous about how it goes about being an enthusiasts car. With the stock Forester suspension, any attempt at real spirited driving would make you feel like you were driving some methed up mini-suv/car on stilts. We replaced the sorry excuse for tires and that helped tremendously, but shocks and springs were a poor match for the car's abilities. The brakes were barely adequate, much like an 02 WRX's were, in a word WEAK. I guess what I'm rambling on about is that you can easily exceed the limits of the XT's suspension, tires and brakes. The Forester is a billion times noisier inside than the Legacy. About half of that noise came from the sweet sounding engine. At WOT the thing would sing. I had put my factory WRX STi exhaust on it, but I think it was engine that sounded so cool. The rest of the noise came from the car's design. Wind noise and road noise. Lot's. We had no idea how loud it was until we rode in that vault called "Legacy".

The Legacy is just a different vehicle alltogether. In the LGT you hear the exhaust which is pretty good for factory stuff on a 4 banger. You also hear the by pass valve more in the LGT which is cool and very subtle. The Forester's gearing has been moved to being more fuel/emission friendly these days so it's not nearly the rocket it once was. I'm sure it's still no slouch but certainly not faster than an LGT I would think.

That said, as much fun as the FXT was, I'm glad we made the switch. The LGT is just that much better of a car right out of the box. If SOA would make their heads part way with their posterior regions, perhaps an available North-American FSTI would make the decision a more difficult one to make.

Don't get me wrong though, the FXT was a blast and it could even hang with my STi off the line 'til about the middle of 2nd gear (dragstrip of course), but if you can swing the cost of the LGT, (and forego the wagon body if buying USDM) then the Legacy platform wins hands down. Drive both and you'll see what I mean.

PS If SOA does come up for light and actually do release the FSTI (before I can afford a 911 Turbo) then all bets are off until I get to drive it.

As of present day, real life, the LGT all the way. :cool:

I've actually considered both models as well. I'm leaning towards the Legacy GT for a few reasons; i'd imagine it quite a bit more sure-footed, it's slightly better power to weight ratio, its more refined, and I personally like the look better. If the road noise level and suspension is really that bad, that would more than seal the deal for me.

I saw a modded Forester a few weeks ago, blew by me on the highway and I had no idea what it was. Looked really good with wheels, lowered, and debadged. Substantially more cargo and passenger room than a Legacy, even with it's shorter length and wheelbase. There's the ground clearance advantage, but as mentioned above, I don't know if i'd trust the suspension for spirited driving. I'm still in the car market, but if I decide on a Subie, it'll more than likely be a Legacy GT.

Well if you need to carry larger stuff then the Forester is a fine choice, but if you don't the Legacy is the way to go. Coming from an 04 Impreza to the 08 Legacy I did also notice the vast difference in interior noise. The Legacy under 70miles is extremely quite, above that it wouldn't compare to other german counterparts. I got an SPT v2 on mine now so it not that quiet anymore.

A Forester feels like a 2002 Impreza, because that is what platform its based on. Subaru went to a new level with the 2005+ Legacy. I believe next year they will move it onto a modern platform.

I get Forester's although non-turbo's as loaners and they definitely feel like my WRX.

The pictures were just for reference. And they both have great potential. The forester to me is more practical. And the Legacy is more refined. I like the exterior looks of the forester more but the interior of the legacy wins hands down. I'm hoping when they release the all new '09 foresters they refine the interior and keep exterior forester looks.

i love the looks of the forester sports. I wish the ole lady would get one so i could drive it everyonce in a while.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

canada does but the us doesn't... i'm from canada but will only buy in the us

Your loss.

I don't have money coming outta my ass, but I'll pay the premium for a LGT 5spd Wagon in Canada.

Your loss.

I don't have money coming outta my ass, but I'll pay the premium for a LGT 5spd Wagon in Canada.

Are you kidding me???

$28 295USD LGT sedan from the US

VS.

$40 295CND LGT sedan from Canada

Plus the Canadian dolar being stronger then the US about 1.06

so more like

$26 695CND in the US

VS

$40 295CND in Canada

PLUS no duties on the legacy because it's made in the US

No brainier

^ HEY! We traded my wife's 04 FXT for the spec.B.

That "logic" would mean that she was almost a lesbian-idiot?

If she finds out about that, you guys will never hear the end of it! :lol:

Seriously though, if we could get one of these in the US (and if a rear facing child seat would fit in it and leave room for a human in the seat in front of it) then we might have gone that route instead of the sB.

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/608/608656/preview-2006-subaru-forester-sti-20050429041145874.jpg

Not an idiot, I liked the options the spec B had and didn't mind paying more.

Why do the members of this board feel they are above others because they drive a legacy? lol

Why don't YOU tell us, Mr. Rude "I'm so clever" Homobashing Legacy owner?

Ironically, as much as I like the Legacy, the Forester in Sports 2.5XT guise seems a lot more tough, masculine, and hetero-family friendly than any 4-door Legacy!

Archived