LegacyGT.com

Another 68HTA w/FMIC/AVO intake 93oct pump only full tune

Ridgeracer

Well I finally got some warm weather and time off from work to install my 68HTA plus new 08 turbo intake. I even found someone to get my ACT clutch with WRX flywheel installed. Everything went well with the turbo but the intake was such a pain since I was just installing another OEM unit. The 08 turbo intake has a somewhat different shape to it but fits on my 05 except for the line coming from the PCV ( I used the jumper for the electrical connector and ran new 1/2 hose to the PCV and intake nipple). After the first day, the car had trouble idling. At first I thought it was a lose fresh air vent for the heads as it connects to the intake. I check all my vacuum lines for this entire car multiple times. Pulled out my laptop to datalog and notice the LTFT only added 0.2% at idle, both WBO2 and front O2 are reading 17.1, and MAF is bouncing from 1.22v - 1.24v. Engine stumbling and if you step on the gas it sometimes stalls. If it doesn't stall, my AFR on both O2 sensor go back to 14.7. Just idle is crap. On a second note, when I disconnect the MAF it idle a little higher in rpms but idles perfect. I want to say that maybe the MAF died on me but what about when I was above idle? Both o2 sensors where ok? Any helps guys:(
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy, I am experiencing the the same kind of idling issue right now that is getting solved by Infamous.

I've had the stumble ever since I got the turbo installed.

Hopefully, Infamous can help me find out what is going on.

I am not too sure that your experience is the same as mine but, Subscribed!!

>LittleBlueGT I hope it is something stupid too.... I am almost giving up on the start-up stumble...

Update....I was checking my AF correction #1 and it was pegged at +25% at idle.:( Even with it that high, It was still reading 17.1 or so on both WBO2 and front O2. Then I said to myself, could the different turbo intake design(much better design than 05-06 IMHO) from the 08 plus maybe the tear I had on the old one I pulled out have totally threw off my MAF scaling?? So I started to rescale the closed loop MAF. Now the idle is normal with minimal correction thanks to the MAF tab on RR.

On another note, this turbo with the AVO intake sounds cooolll as hell....No boosting just normal closed loop driving.

Update....I was checking my AF correction #1 and it was pegged at +25% at idle.:( Even with it that high, It was still reading 17.1 or so on both WBO2 and front O2. Then I said to myself, could the different turbo intake design(much better design than 05-06 IMHO) from the 08 plus maybe the tear I had on the old one I pulled out have totally threw off my MAF scaling?? So I started to rescale the closed loop MAF. Now the idle is normal with minimal correction thanks to the MAF tab on RR.

On another note, this turbo with the AVO intake sounds cooolll as hell....No boosting just normal closed loop driving.

What intake, diameter?

I voice in my head is saying connection at throttle body is leaking, a lot!

A leak at the throttle body would cause +25% fuel to be added at idle but significantly reduced correction above idle?? The AVO intake has a 70mm MAF housing. I have it attached to the 08 OEM turbo inlet.

LBGT and Mikeyd2005...

You guys were so right about an f'ing leak dudes. I found it tonight in the dark after I parked. There is a vacuum line directly behind the alternator that is shaped like an L going back towards the rear. When I parked I heard a hissing noise and just started feeling around. I hope it's not too bad to hook up cuz I really want to start tuning this beast. Look at my MAF volts on these 3rd gear pulls. These are just WG only pulls in 31 deg weather at sealevel. Disregard the AFR. This will of course be fixed once I connect that vacuum line.

BTW notice the boost creep.?!? This is suppose to be a 7 lb WG. Good thing I got the fuel and will be running a bit more than that at redline..

Update...I believe the vacuum line goes to the purge control valve which was removed when I installed the turbo inlet....arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

romraiderlog_20100121_035153.csv

romraiderlog_20100121_040256.csv

I have no boost targets. That is all WG spring control.:( Currently I have an AVO intake with the 08 LGT turbo inlet..

BTW...The damn plastic vacuum nipple broke off the purge control valve...:( Now I have to buy a new one...Just as a test, I flashed the old MAF scale back on and it works(I put a bolt on the vaccum line in the interim)

Just good to know that my Prodrive EBCS won't have such a high duty cycle. Looking at the MAF volts, I may actually max out the AVO intake with just pump gas and sub 30 deg weather. 4.35V @ only 11.75psi. Then again the leak could have inflated the MAF volts a bit. So far I reaaaaalllllllyyy love this turbo with a FMIC. Next week I'll start cranking up the power.

Just good to know that my Prodrive EBCS won't have such a high duty cycle. Looking at the MAF volts, I may actually max out the AVO intake with just pump gas and sub 30 deg weather. 4.35V @ only 11.75psi. Then again the leak could have inflated the MAF volts a bit. So far I reaaaaalllllllyyy love this turbo with a FMIC. Next week I'll start cranking up the power.

You won't max out the AVO and as for the turbo I told you so ;)

I'd be shocked if you max the AVO as well. For comparison sakes, my 20G at 22psi at 7k is under 4.80 with the AVO. I also didn't max it when I added race gas, upped the boost to 25 psi, and ran a 117mph 1/4 mile. The AVO is capable of flowing a lot of air!

Sometimes logs speak louder than words. It was about 10-15 deg F outside. 93 oct tune. Don't worry. I took care of that knock event. Doesn't matter much since I'll be selling the Momentum 50T soon..I would have did more with it if I could have run E85...:(

romraiderlog_20100110_041326.csv

What is wrong with that log (other then one knock event)?

Looks pretty nice to me. Have you run it on airboy's dyno sheet?

Either way you hit 4.8 volts. What is the big deal? You still have a looooooooooooong way to go to hit 4.96 or so.

LBGT....I ran it on Airboy's sheet but whp was only 309. Wtq was better at 346. Granted I was going up a 20-30 deg grade. My main task that morning was just to scale past 4.7 v on the MAF since that was the first time hitting those temp this year.

Turbo seems to respond pretty good. What are you replacing it with?

That log was from my Momentum 50T. I already replaced it with the 68HTA. Needed something that spooled faster with less top end.

I would say yes. Even though I think the mommentum 50T was suppose to be FPG like it, responded just like a TD06-20G-8CM.

yea, his MAF g/s and MRP is just like exactly what my HTA68 does, cept for a few hundred rpm of spool.

Archived