LegacyGT.com

Time to replace my brakes

FoxHound

well after 43K miles on my GT it is time to replace my front brakes. I would like something a little bit stronger than stock but i dont want to go crazy with an entire new big brake kit. Any suggestions?

Hawk HPS, sounds like a winner. I am getting new rotors to, mine are scroned, i was thinking of getting some vented or drilled ones, just because they look cool

If you want new rotors for bling reasons, have at it. While directionally vented rotors are a bonus, its likely you won't realize the benefits in everyday driving and don't even get me started on what cross drilling does and doesn't do.:lol: OEM blanks are relatively cheap in terms of replacement costs. Just throwing that out there as an option you may not have considered.

If you want new rotors for bling reasons, have at it. While directionally vented rotors are a bonus, its likely you won't realize the benefits in everyday driving and don't even get me started on what cross drilling does and doesn't do.:lol: OEM blanks are relatively cheap in terms of replacement costs. Just throwing that out there as an option you may not have considered.

Thanks for squashing my sales pitch :lol:

Just put the HPS pads on Friday along with new DBA 4000 rotors. They do stop well, though hard to say what % better than OEM. OEM rotors are ~$100 less for the pair. If I had to do again, I'd save the cash. The DBAs do look beefy though.

well i do need to replace the rotors, so i was just figuring that if i had to get some i might as well get some vented ones. I do alot of scca racing, so they might give me a little benefit there. but the hawk pads definitely sound like the way to go

Would you be interested in a set of used Stoptech rotors with around 20K on them ?

I also have a set of Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear pads coming up for sale very soon.

I'm just over the border from you.

all 4 of them? Slotted?

Rehab is for quitters.

I do alot of scca racing, so they might give me a little benefit there. but the hawk pads definitely sound like the way to go
Really? Then you definately want something vented like a DBA rotor. Also, depending on what type of "racing" you do, HPS are a great pad for street use, but I would suggest something more aggressive for the track. HP+ at the very least, but you might even try HT-10's on the front and HP+ in the rear.

I'm in the same boat in terms of brake pad replacement, both front & rear. Should I get Hawk HPS for the rear as well or stick w/OEM?

No point in unnecessarily messing with the OEM brake bias on a street car, install them on both the front and rear

where is the best place to get hawk HPS pads? I have been looking around for the DBA 4000 rotors and they seem to be not to bad a price over stock. Only the fronts need replaced now, so i am going to hold off on doing the rears

where is the best place to get hawk HPS pads? I have been looking around for the DBA 4000 rotors and they seem to be not to bad a price over stock. Only the fronts need replaced now, so i am going to hold off on doing the rears

I just bought a full set of Hawk HPS and OE slots (they were out of blanks) from here: (Break Swap) http://www.liteswap.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=L&Category_Code=brakeswap

I have done a lot of reading and reviewing of the stickies, but I have a few questions when I actually do the replacement (with a friend that has done a few break jobs before). How much am I going to need to clean and lubricate the parts before I re-install? Can I just use high temp anti-seize, or do I need to go out and get some high temp grease from a auto shop? Lastly, how important is it to bleed / flush the system? I just had a 60k service and I'll have to check if it was included.

try Autoanything.com great prices on DBA and Hawk they have a lot of sales on holidays they have a 12% fathers day coupon right now use code EJN98AA for 12% off if that doesn't work you 10% off right now best prices I found anywhere

well after 43K miles on my GT it is time to replace my front brakes. I would like something a little bit stronger than stock but i dont want to go crazy with an entire new big brake kit. Any suggestions?

Hawk HPS for street/Autox use. Improvement over stock while retaining quiet dust free etc.

Full flush of the brakes (should be done every 2 years on a street driven car anyway)

SS Lines are a good upgrade if you are flushing anyway.

Centric Rotors are also very inexpensive and durable. No need for crazy expensive DBA rotors, and I track my car 3-5 days a month.

-mike

Archived