LegacyGT.com

Front Speaker Question

schwartzki

Which Component Speakers do you think I should get? Trying to stay under 150  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Component Speakers do you think I should get? Trying to stay under 150

• Alpine SPS-600C (Type S)
    • Blaupunkt GTc652
    • Infinity Reference 6020cs
    • Polk Audio db6501 (over 150)
    • Boston Acoustics SX60 (way over 150)

So I'm looking at replacing my front speakers and polls are always fun, so I need input from the community. First of all, it looks like people have replaced the factory tweeters, but can you replace the tweeter in the door, I don't want to mount new ones if I can fit in the old location.

So im looking at a couple different choices for upgrading the stock audio system. The reasons why is my left front woofer is blown, so its a high priority. I'm looking to stay under 150 for a component set, but the Polk's have peaked my interest. Ive had good experience in the past with Alpine, what do you have/what do you like? Thanks for you time and feedback.

1. Alpine SPS-600C (Type S Components)

2. Blaupunkt GTc652(scared by the price, anyone have any info?)

3. Infinity Reference 6020cs

4. Polk Audio db6501

5. Boston Acoustics SX60

Now I know all of you Subaru folks love your Alpines but personally I don't think they have anything on Boston or Infinity. I've got the Boston Acoustics SX60's in the front of my Honda and they're great. My old Grand Cherokee had an Infinity component system but I don't remember what series they were. Anyway they were fantastic. It had an amp though (not sure what the 05 outback xt has). Probably the best sound system I've ever had in a car. And I like to think I have pretty high standards for high quality music.

Just my IMHO though.

Not to interrupt your survey thing but I noticed you posted that the sx60's were way over 150. I did a quick search and found crutchfield offers them for 250. If you go on ebay there's a new in box set for about $150. Anyway just figured it might help you out. I bought the one's for my honda from the same ebay retailer.

This is why I love this community :)

Has anyone bought from these guys before?

I bought some mb quart components a head unit and cd changer from them about 3 years ago or so and had no problems at all had everything in about a week...when I bought my stuff there were a few places a little bit cheaper out there but this place looked more legit to me so I ordered from them and I had no probs with this place...

Are u going to run them off the stock HU power? If so, look for the one with the highest sensitivity rating... Good components, want power and the stock hu is lacking there. The high sensitivity will help get closer to the efficient factory speakers. Otherwise you get improved sound and reduced topend volume.

Can't say as I haven't heard Bostons in years. I would try and listen to a variety both in a car and on the sound board at different shops. Bring a reference CD you like and compare.

Wow, I'm fairly surprised. I thought they were a fairly common company. I'd let you listen to them in my car but I'm no where near you. And the acoustics are a little different between cars. If it makes any difference to you I'm using a stock head unit as well.

I beg you not to buy Quarts. They are not what they used to be. I very much regret buying mine.

Yeah quarts are not like they were! I had a set of the Q series which was a great set very expensive though...that was the last of the good mb quarts

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just purchased the Polk Audio db6501. I wanted better quality then the alpines but not the price tag of Boston. The sensitivity of the polks is 92dBm where as the alpine is 88dBm, and anyone who knows dB scale knows thats a huge difference.

Cheers, added to the weekend todo list:

Heated Seat w/ pics

Yellow Fog install

Front Door Speakers

Well I just purchased the Polk Audio db6501. I wanted better quality then the alpines but not the price tag of Boston. The sensitivity of the polks is 92dBm where as the alpine is 88dBm, and anyone who knows dB scale knows thats a huge difference.

Cheers, added to the weekend todo list:

Heated Seat w/ pics

Yellow Fog install

Front Door Speakers

Good choice, and good luck with your install!

Archived