LegacyGT.com

2010 2.5i Oil and Oil Change Interval

mix

I did a search of the forum, and nothing jumped out a me, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered ad nausea.

What type of oil (regular or synthetic) and what oil change interval should I be using with my 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i? I have this 2010 Federal Schedule sheet for the vehicle that lists and oil and filter change every 7,500 miles. Is this correct? Shouldn't I expect to have to top up the oil at some point with this many miles between oil changes if I can really safely go this long? Does regular non-synthetic oil really last this long without breaking down?

Not positive on this (someone might need to correct me) but I think the interval for the regular 2.5 non turbo cars is 7,500.

I wouldn't use mineral oil for that long of an interval if it was me. I would use a synthetic that matches up with whatever the specs Subaru requires for the 2.5. It should be in your user manual. If you are looking for something cheap, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 jugs from Walmart are pretty inexpensive.

Taste in oil differs from person to person. :)

Ultimately though - what your manual says is the safe thing to follow as far as change intevals.

Also - you absolutely SHOULD check the oil level in your car on periodic basis. In fact, my 2011 Legacy manual says:

Checking the oil level

Check the engine oil level at each fuel stop.

OK so that's a bit overboard IMO, but it goes to show that you should check and add if low.

Thanks for the info guys. Just wanted to see what other people were doing. Incidentally, I stumbled upon this image in another thread on this forum, although it is for a 2011 model. It seems to say 7,500 for regular old conventional oil... but that seems pretty long to me. I've found myself adding half a quart to a quart of oil between oil changes now, and I have never approached 7,500 miles.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107910&d=1321362521

I had my first oil change at 6.000 km/ 3.700 miles from new, following the recommendation from the dealership (as it's not a mandatory requirement from Subaru).

Then at 15.000 km/ 9.300 miles the regular maintenance incl. oil change, where they used Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 = fully synthetic type.

Requested maintenance intervall is every 15.000 km/ 9.300 miles incl. oil change.

I check oil level regularly, not a drop to be added up to now.

Did your car not come with an owners manual? Or do you not even have a phone to call your Subaru dealer? Or does your version of legacygt.com not have a search function? I'm guessing that one, if not all of these has to be the case if you are seriously asking this question.

It's definitely not overboard if you own a turbo'd EJ. In this case it might be.

Agreed. I pretty much top off/fill up every weekend. I set the pump lever to auto and check the oil, and I keep a quart in the trunk to add as needed.

Mix, I highly doubt you'd ever have any issues going 7500mi between oil/filter changes, even with no-name bulk oil and cheap filters on your 2.5i. Today's oil and engines are WAY cleaner and more efficient than they were decades ago.

The only time I could see that being an issue is if it took you more than a year to accumulate 7500mi.

Round it off to 6Kmi for oil changes if it makes you more comfortable, or like said, use a semi or full synthetic for the 7500 interval.

Just look at our European friends. They'll routinely go 10-12K or beyond on conventional oil.

Joel

Did your car not come with an owners manual? Or do you not even have a phone to call your Subaru dealer? Or does your version of legacygt.com not have a search function? I'm guessing that one, if not all of these has to be the case if you are seriously asking this question.

You are correct, I didn't waste my time calling my dealer, since I am sure they will quote me the dealer maintance schedule which differs from the manufacturer maintenance schedule. Surely you knew my vehicle came with both. And like I said, I searched, and no topic addressed my specific issue.

I did your homework and search for ya.

You can find pretty much all the useful info in this thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kind-dissapointed-forum-175343.html

GL~

I wouldn't have expected to find the answer to my 5th gen Legacy question in a 13 page, 4th gen forum thread post full of "STFU your post is dumb" replies.

You are telling me that you searched this forum and you could not find any information on oil change intervals? Your owners manual doesn't list the manufacturer maintenance schedule? Is that really different from the dealer maintenance schedule? What dealer will say "Well Subaru recommends X, but we prefer to go with Y"? Cars101 has nothing? That information takes maybe 5 minutes to find. If this is what you're telling me and you are a college graduate, I am AMAZED that you graduated, unless you cheated your way through school.

Archived