LegacyGT.com

EJ25 Phase 2

I've never really heard of this before, although I don't know a whole lot about these cars. I've read that they changed the housing bolt number to 8 and that the thrust bearing was moved to the rear. Can anyone give me a little bit more info on this engine? I've got a 98 legacy gt with the ej25d, but all symptoms are pointing towards a cracked block. Would i have any issues putting my heads, intake, etc. of the ej25d onto the phase 2 engine? Is it plug and play for my car?

The 99 motor is a Phase 2 EJ25D motor, is an odd one. It's parts of two difference motors in one. It has the phase 2 style block, crank, and rods, along with 25D piston relief design, and the 25D top end. The pistons have a shorter compression height than 97 to 98 pistons, but extend the same distance above the block deck. They are MY99 specific. The heads and intake manifold are all the same from 97 to 99 on the 25D. The journals are the same size as the STi, and the thrust position is located in the 5th position.

The 2000 and up Phase 2 motor is an EJ251. The only difference between the two short blocks is the pistons. The reliefs are different. The rest of the motor (the top end) is completely different. To run it in a 95 to 99 Legacy, much wiring would need to be done and you'd have to acquire the correct ECU.

If you have a 99 Phase 2 EJ25D long block, it will drop right into your car without a problem. If you have a 99 Phase 2 EJ25D short block, your top end will be a perfect fit.

Now, if you have an EJ251 motor, your top end will still bolt on and you can drop it right into place. But, because the pistons are different, you'll be running a bit higher compression.

+1, what he said.

with one exception. the 99 forester is in fact a phase 2 engine, the 99 outback / GT is a hybrid half and half as mentioned.

good luck.

use the ''turbo'' head gaskets,\.

they last longer / forever.

Archived