LegacyGT.com

4EAT to 5MT/6MT Impossible?

Brennelf

Hey everyone, I currently drive a 06 Legacy 2.5i with a 4EAT. My friend drove a 300WHP 05 GT with a 5EAT, and destroyed 2 transmissions, one within minutes of it going into the car, and he never bothered to do anything with it because he wanted a 5MT (it remains in his garage to this day, untouched for five months), so when I asked why he didn't just swap, he said that you couldn't just throw a 5MT in, as you had to cut into the frame. Is this true? I was hoping if I decided to not get my 4EAT built for when I decide to fiddle with the car and drop something different in it, that I could do a 5MT/6MT swap. He also said you can't change the head unit on the radios with manual climate controls so I'm just figuring it out lol.

Is cutting into the frame bad? I've seen builds where some people cut parts of the body/support off to reduce weight.

It's a very complicated swap and it's causes lots of migraines. Just read up on it. I'm not gonna go into detail but you'd basically would need another Legacy with a manual to swap everything out of it. Differential, rear CV axles, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, then wiring it up. It's easier to just swap out the aftermarket parts from the destroyed car into another 05 GT.

HEXMODS makes a kit to help that tranny live, search this forum for it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-body-mods-giant-leaps-forward-160101.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ah so he was correct! I don't plan on doing anything big to this car yet, I dream of a turbo'd EZ30/EG33, but other than that leaving it be. If it gets to that point on my own I'd get a built 4EAT to troll people and say I have nothing but a 4EAT 2.5i. Right now his GT doesn't even have an engine in it, so I will see if he's interested. Thanks for the link!

Archived