LegacyGT.com

Suspension too stiff

Alekss

Hi,

Let me just say that I purchased my '06 Legacy gt used. The previous owner put about 60k miles on it and from what he told me, most of them were on the highway.

Anyway, the suspnesin was never modified but to me it seems like it's very stiff. I don't know if this is just the way these cars are or what? Does anyone else share the same opinion?

I used to have an Acura RSX-S and thought that was stiff as well, so going to a 4 door sedan would make it somewhat better, but not with my legacy Gt :confused:

You could have worn out struts too. Worn struts will cause the springs to just "bounce" rather than slowing their rebound after going over a bump.

Cheapest option would be to replace the stock struts. I think they're fairly inexpensive. I just searched on subarugenuineparts.com and found the fronts at $110/corner and $95/corner at the rear ($420 total).

Front:

Strut, W/o Outback, W/GT, GT Limited Left

STRUT CP F LH - W/o gt limited spec b

List Price : $149.95

Your Price : $109.76

Rear:

Strut, GT, XT, GT, XT Lmtd Back

SHOCK ABS CP R

List Price : $129.95

Your Price : $95.12

You might be able to find some lightly used ones here in the classifieds too.

Cheers!

Edited by goneskiian

Not sure if its the struts causing it though...sometimes when i go over rough surface/road or bumps I hear this thumping/clunking noise. almost as if smething is worn out...I read it could possibly be sway bar bushings/endlinks? But this couldnt cause the car to feel stiff? Edited by Alekss

Not sure if its the struts causing it though...sometimes when i go over rough surface/road or bumps I hear this thumping/clunking noise. almost as if smething is worn out...I read it could possibly be sway bar bushings/endlinks? But this couldnt cause the car to feel stiff?

You came looking for suggestions, I gave you one and you shoot it down without even a "Thank you"?

Nice.

If you're such an expert why'd you ask for opinions?

If you want a more compliant ride, go buy a Buick.

And, no, sway bar bushings and endlinks will not affect the ride. Unless the endlinks are broken, but then you'd have a more compliant ride.

Edited by goneskiian

blown strut, worn bushings as well.

but I do question the "too stiff" part. my 05 LGT was so damned loose it was scary for me to drive fast, it needs much more stiffening, even after 25mm sways.... so I am kinda curious.. I also owned a RSX-S 02, and friend has an 06 both mine and his were WAY more stiff than the LGT.

If you honestly can compare it to being stiff as a RSX-S (which is not that stiff to be honest) then I am thinking something is modified, or maybe you are not remembering the RSX properly.

regardless, what is the issue you have specifically? bumps? road noise? vibrations? what tires are on the car? air pressure?

T

Stock LGT 4th G off the showroom floor were hideously under sprung and under swayed. IMO no a chance in hell an oem suspension resembles anything like "too stiff" unless it really means worn/blown out.

but I do question the "too stiff" part. my 05 LGT was so damned loose it was scary for me to drive fast, it needs much more stiffening,

Absolutely freaking DANGEROUS to drive really fast 9/10-10/10ths. My oem suspension at 50k miles was so worn out that my bump stops were literally GLASSY smooth. Glassy enough to SHAVE in.

If you honestly can compare it to being stiff as a RSX-S (which is not that stiff to be honest) then I am thinking something is modified...

x2 or explain what the car is doing a'la...

regardless, what is the issue you have specifically? bumps? road noise? vibrations? what tires are on the car? air pressure?

You came looking for suggestions, I gave you one and you shoot it down without even a "Thank you"?

Nice.

If you're such an expert why'd you ask for opinions?

If you want a more compliant ride, go buy a Buick.

And, no, sway bar bushings and endlinks will not affect the ride. Unless the endlinks are broken, but then you'd have a more compliant ride.

Dude, I am sorry, didn't mean not to say thanks.

Dude, I am sorry, didn't mean not to say thanks.

Just understand that a LOT of people worked very hard and there is a lot of info on the site so sometimes members are sensitive when noobs immediately dismiss them.

Most are here to help (even if he was being snarky about it. I am well known for my sarcasm)

best way, may not be easiest, is to remove them and do a few checks. see if there is oil leaking out of the top. if its already been gone for a while, then you may not see it leaking any more in which case try and compress it. friend blew his struts and you could compress the strut with your hands. that should NOT be posible. and finally you can try the drill method. drill into the bottom of the shock body on the under side, in the middle. if the gas and oil spray out, then the shock was not blown... if it doesn't and only drips out oil, then it was blown.... now cut the top off and slide in koni inserts.

T

best way, may not be easiest... T

One easy thing you CAN do is take off your rear wheels and look at the bump stops. If they are CLEAN or shiny/glassy... Even if you have no visable leakage your suspension is probably blown. My suspension allowed clean/glassy bumpstops as I said at 50k and they were not leaking but they were useless for anything but a koni rebuild.

Quick and easy but doesn't mean things are fine if it is not

No worries. Just remember your manners in the future.

As torinalth has shown, there's really no easy way to diagnose worn out struts with out taking them off the car.

If you can afford them the Koni's are a great strut upgrade, even with stock springs. Believe when we tell you that it will feel like a new car.

I don't understand the suggestion of torn LCA's. How do they affect ride? They'll make the steering feel loose and sloppy but not make the ride feel stiff. I have to defer to mike/AZP on that one though as I know he has WAY more experience and knowledge on the subject than I do.

Honestly though, if you feel like the both an RSX and the LGT suspension is too stiff then I think you need something other than a sports sedan. Like a Buick or 20 year old Caddy.

Edited by goneskiian

I disagree with a lot of what has been said here - the stock Legacy GT suspension is certainly jarring.

People who equate a bad ride with good handling like it and seek to make it even more jarring in the pursuit of supposed ultimate handling, but the suspension is pretty harsh.

Worn parts will not make it any less compliant, but will certainly make it handle worse.

No worries. Just remember your manners in the future.

As torinalth has shown, there's really no easy way to diagnose worn out struts with out taking them off the car.

If you can afford them the Koni's are a great strut upgrade, even with stock springs. Believe when we tell you that it will feel like a new car.

I don't understand the suggestion of torn LCA's. How do they affect ride? They'll make the steering feel loose and sloppy but not make the ride feel stiff. I have to defer to mike/AZP on that one though as I know he has WAY more experience and knowledge on the subject than I do.

Honestly though, if you feel like the both an RSX and the LGT suspension is too stiff then I think you need something other than a sports sedan. Like a Buick or 20 year old Caddy.

I dont want to drive a buick or a 20 yr old caddy because I bought a Subaru, so lets not go there anymore :)

RSX-S and LGT's suspensions are stiff and that's a fact. that's fine, I can live with that however, the clunking noise Iam hearing coming from it, indicates that something is wrong. I had 6 Hondas/Acuras and never experienced this problem :) Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on the KOnis

Edited by Alekss

What are your tires set at? My car rides fairly well unless you hit expansion joints (large ones) on the freeway. Those can get harsh. I live in New England, not many smooth roads over here.

Front tires are around 35 psi and rear ones around 32 psi

I have stock potenzas on the car

I'm gonna vote for worn shocks and possible front LCA bushings. Very common for them to have this issue at the milage you speak of.

-mike

At 78,000 miles I replaced the struts with Konis, replaced the stock LCA bushings with a Whiteline kit that retained stock caster, and the links wich secure the roll bar were bad and replaced as well. The car now rides beautifully and the clunking noise from the links is gone. Expensive, but that's what Subiebucks are for.

OK, here are a few photos I took this evening.

Driver's side:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1354/5119099128_a59a1ffc5a_z.jpg

Passenger's side:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1081/5118497633_d06c7923eb_z.jpg

ahhh, wow, clunking... somehow I completely glossed over that and only noticed the complaint of being too stiff.

as far as the clunk now being part of the picture, yes the LCA bushings could be it, and I wish I could tell you I knew what they were supposed to look like... I only have hands on with WRX bushings to say for sure. but I know they are a popular failure point for the car.

secondly, check the sway bar endlinks for being tight and if they are a bit wobbley or just not as tight in the ball/socket joint. the endlinks on many cars can cause the thunks.

third, check your tophats. I have seen 1 personally wear out that needed to be replaced and the bearing in the top hat was the cause of the clunk.

and joining the bushing failures, are the bushings in the rear suspension arms. check them out.

T