LegacyGT.com

How to tell if windshield is heated?

Hi all,

I need to replace my windshield and they keep asking if it's heated or not and i am not sure. The current windshield is not heated but I think it has been replaced before and not sure if they put the proper windshield back in.

If I need a heated, I would like to replace it with a heated as it's $100 cheaper but if it's not heated from the factory, then I will go with a normal one.

My car is a 2006 Legacy Sedan Limited non-turbo with leather and auto climate control. I do see a button on the left of the dash beside the steering wheel that looks like it's suppose to turn on something but does nothing when I push it so maybe it's for a heated windshield?

Thanks

:confused::confused::confused:

1. Look at your owners manual:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/resource-center/owners-manuals/search.html

2. Go to chapter 3: Instruments and Controls

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/11753/pdf/ownerManual/011753_2006_Legacy/MSA5M0604A_11.pdf

3. Go to 3-38 and see pictoral of the button that would be there if you had front windshield deicer.

4. If you have the button, flip a coin. If the coin is heads, you have (or should have) a heated front windshield. If the coin is tails, you have (or should have) a heated front windshield.

lol

that button is most likely for your side view mirrors and windshield.

And a heated windshield is NOT cheaper then a non heated. believe me....I've replaced a few on this car.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Go look at the base of your windshield under your blades and see if it looks similar to this:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/11/18-2011-subaru-wrx-review.jpg

Negatory. Only true for the OE glass, and maybe a few replacements. I have had two replacement heated windshields that don't have the visible orange elements.

Pull the passenger's A-pillar inside trim off. If the glass is heated, you will see the wires running down. If it isn't, you will see a plug with nothing pluggged into it.

Negatory. Only true for the OE glass, and maybe a few replacements. I have had two replacement heated windshields that don't have the visible orange elements.

Pull the passenger's A-pillar inside trim off. If the glass is heated, you will see the wires running down. If it isn't, you will see a plug with nothing pluggged into it.

Well then, you must of got jibbed. :spin:

the previous owner or dealer i bought my car from (used) had replaced the winshield before with a non heated. so when it came time for me to replace it, i didnt know i had one until i saw the wires when the glass was out.

i live near san francisco, so i dont see snow or ice. no biggie for me.

plus it saved me some $$$$$$

do you get ice or snow where youre at?

down by your mirror controls theres a button to turn it on.

switch is bottom left.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/OB07vdcswitch2.JPG

Page 3.39 says side mirror heaters are activated by the rear defogger.

really? I always thought they were activated by my windshield button.....least that's when I noticed mine comes on.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

maybe that's my problem...I never RTFM!:lol:

Hey all and thanks for the help.

As for the heating elements on the windshield, I do not have them however I am 99% sure the glass was replaced before I bought it.

I do however have the left button from this picture below (not talking about side mirror buttons)

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/OB07vdcswitch2.JPG

Does this mean I have a heated winshield?

As per the side mirror heaters, they turn on when I turn on my rear defrost.

I do live in Canada so a heated windshield would be great to have!

Any other opinions? I am still not sure but seems like since I have the button I have it. I will look in the A pillar for wires tonight!

Also the heated windshield is about $100 cheaper as it's more popular.

did you read your manual like others suggested? you probably have one.....but others have given you some suggestions on how to find out.

another thought.....take a closer look at your windshield where your wipers sit.

the newer replacement windshields have the heating elements buried inside the glass and you can barely see them thru the black part of the windshield.

Yes I read the manual and it said "if equipped" so thats why I wasn't sure but I assume I have the button so I do have it.

I looked at my windshield but I do not have the heating elements in there but like I said, I am sure the glass has been replaced. I will just get a heated windshield.

Thanks for the help.

Yes I read the manual and it said "if equipped" so thats why I wasn't sure but I assume I have the button so I do have it.

I looked at my windshield but I do not have the heating elements in there but like I said, I am sure the glass has been replaced. I will just get a heated windshield.

Thanks for the help.

Yes you have it and yes do have the heating elements, it's just not visible from 25ft away, more like when the sun hits it right and you are standing at an angle 1ft away and the new windshield you will get, it won't have the "visible or orange" heating element either.

I had mine replaced too and it's heated, just not visible from 25ft away

Yes you have it and yes do have the heating elements, it's just not visible from 25ft away, more like when the sun hits it right and you are standing at an angle 1ft away and the new windshield you will get, it won't have the "visible or orange" heating element either.

I finally saw it. Duh lol I guess it's just not too powerful or I gotta clear more snow away from it.

Thanks

another thought.....take a closer look at your windshield where your wipers sit. .

I finally saw it. Duh lol I guess it's just not too powerful or I gotta clear more snow away from it.

Thanks

yeah....like I said.....buried in there:)

Archived