LegacyGT.com

Motor out - valve job underway

I have noticed folks really go real far in replacing a lot of items in their engine down to short block when motor gets removed.

I had CEL/misfire and low compression in a cylinder.

The heads are off now off at machine shop. The pistons don't look bad but mechanic(his recommendation) is going to change out rings only as CYA. The only other thing getting changed out is timing belt & other belts, a few seals, banjo bolts and motor is going back in for $2800. The oem turbo he assessed even though 170k miles in really great shape for the age. No play etc.

My plan is 2-5 more years with LGT at 15k miles/year.

You guys think this is crazy idea to put in little money relative to the $5000 builds I see on this board?

Depends on how much you like the car. My engine just went back in after being pulled for the same thing. My low compression cylinder also had a real lazy injector. Might have been a coincidence, but worth thinking about while you're there.

A new EJ257 is $1645. You already have most of the other pieces to give you a good engine for a long time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived