LegacyGT.com

Key Locked in Ignition switch

I have this weird problem where sometimes the key won't come out of the ignition. If I just sit there, usually in about 3 minutes I hear a noise in the steering column for a few seconds, and then the key slips out like butter. Sometimes if I start and stop the engine along with moving shifter in and out of Park, the column will lock and the key can be removed. Anyone know how the system works? How can I fix it??

Thanx!

Shift lock solenoid or if there's a switch to tell when it's in park. Remove the center console and see what's all in there. It's been a while since I've taken a second gen console apart to do a fix like this.

My manual 97 gt had a similar problem with the key not wanting to come out of the ignition. Sometimes i get lucky and playing with it for a minute or two would get it to come out, but sometimes id sit there and play with it for 5 or 10 minutes and it wouldnt come out. I ended up buying a new ignition cylinder for $30ish and installed it with ease. Never had the problem again. I now have a different key for the ignition than the doors but it doesnt bother me to carry an extra key.

there is an inhibitor switch on the side of the trans that tells the ECU which gear you are in.

it will not let you start the car unless you are in P or N.

it probably releases the key when you are in P.

but i thought it allowed the ignition switch to turn to ''off'' only when in P,

not simply release the key once it is in the off position.

a replacement ignition key lock cylinder would probably fix it.

just make sure you get the matching key.

it is easy to replace if you know how,

and if the key you have will turn the car on, stuck or not.

or call a locksmith and get a price for rebuilding yours.

Archived